“Classic amusement park”

Idlewild & SoakZone
Ranked #2 of 12 things to do in Ligonier
More attraction details
Owner description: With something for everyone, Idlewild & SoakZone is rated the Best Kids Park in the World by Amusement Today magazine, and rated Best Park for Families by the National Amusement Park Historical Association. With two parks in one, this is what family fun is all about! The oldest amusement park in Pennsylvania, Idlewild & SoakZone offers a delightful day of fun for every member of your group. Whether you’re celebrating a birthday, having a party, hosting a company picnic, or spending quality time with family and friends, Idlewild & SoakZone helps make everything easier and hassle free with party packs and catered event menus. Attractions that include the Rollo Coaster, SoakZone, Storybook Forest and so much more make Idlewild & SoakZone the place to be for everyone young and old!
Reviewed 16 July 2009

Idlewild is a great local park for a family get away for the day park. It's also the second oldest amusement park in the nation. It specializes in rides that everyone can go on. There are two roller coasters here as well. One is a wooden coaster called the Rollo Coaster. It was built in 1938 and was designed by the famed Herbert Paul Schmeck from the Philadelphia Tobbogan Company and it stands at a height of 27ft. The other is a custom built steel roller coaster called the Wild Mouse from Vekoma. It stands 56ft tall and is full of sharp turns and sudden drops. Idlewild is also known for having a few classic rides as well like the last remaining Caterpillar ride with a canvas coccoon, a ride called the Whip, and a 1931 PTC Carousel model #83 with a working Wurlitzer band organ and a Calliola. Plus in Racoon Lagoon is a one of a kind trolley ride through Mr Rogers Land of Make Believe in which you ride a full scale mock up of Trolley. Did you know that Mr Rogers was born in nearby Latrobe, PA and came to Idlewild as a kid. Idlewild also has something thats very rare now and that is a Storybook Forest in which you can walk through all those storybook rhymes and even meet and talk to some of the characters.

1  Thank Coasterjunky

Reviewed 25 June 2009

In case you don't know, this is half water park and half amusement park. The rides are all family-oriented. Nothing extreme here. The water park closed at 6pm and the rest of the park a little after 8pm.

We live a bit over 2 hours away, and this was worth every bit of the drive. My wife and I celebrated our 20th anniversary with our boys here. Everyone had an absolutely great time. Some of us have problems with heights, but that only ruled out one roller coaster out of the whole park. My youngest boy woke up today and said "yesterday was FUN!"

I did accidentally bump into and hurt a young lady in the swimming pool, so I hope she heals up soon and forgives me.

The only con that I would say is that the wooden steps going up the big tube slide need replaced with steel & concrete like the others. It was flexing under me and some of the wood looked like it was separated, which prompted my wife to head back down the stairs. Weighing in at 195 pounds, the steps shouldn't budge.

1  Thank 11thPlague
Reviewed 30 April 2009

This park is such a gem. The nostalgic rides, I just love them. There is something here for all ages! Story Book Forest still brings nursery rhymes to life. First it was me, now it's my children who get excited to go to the Good Ship Lollipop or see the Crooked Man and climb through the piece of 'mousey' cheese! The park is so well cared for and so beautifully set among the trees. The collection of rides are great fun, some even historical. When it gets dark at night and everything is all lit up, when the lightning bugs fly around the creek, when you win a game and get a prize, it's just all even more magical.
I've been an annual passholder at Walt Disney World for years and there is something about Idlewild that Disney will never be able to capture. A fun family park, not to mention affordable, with that small town feel, set in the beauty of the Pennsylvania mountains. The laughter of the kids, the smell of burgers grilling at the picnic pavilions, the music in the background at the park, the gravel under your feet, the incredibly green trees... go to Idlewild, see what I'm talking about and you'll be back every summer for sure!

2  Thank IchBinGretchen
Reviewed 13 November 2008

Let me set the record straight here. If ou have kids, live with driving distance, and don't come here. You're insane. This is the probably one of the best family amusement parks in america, the place that invented the amusement park. Let me highlight a few of my favorite things about this park (I take my kids here every year).

-The entrance is pretty cheap, food is pretty cheap, no parking fees. Your will not leave here feeling "jiffed".
-Big enough to keep you busy all day.
-"Rustic, yet refined". Idlewild still has that 50's feel to it, but has tons of new stuff and a huge waterpark.
-You park within the gates, so you can bring your own food, drink, etc into the park. (insider tip: bring a kidde wagon).
-Lots of trees to protect you from the summer shade.
-Nice people. The crowd that comes here is your typical middle-classs family with 2.5 kids.
-Benches, picnic tables, grass. You're never more then a few steps from a nice place to relax.
-NOT CROWDED. Typically short lines, especially on weekdays.

4  Thank torotech
Reviewed 24 August 2008

I grew up in the area, my aunt once managed kiddie land and I could not wait to take my two year old there. All of my expectations were met plus some. Having moved to the DC area, I had not been to the park in years. I love all of the new rides and attractions so did my daughter and husband who had never been to the park. It is perfect and unusual in that it is located in the mountains with an old fashioned park feel. We are now going to make going to Idlewild an annual family tradition just as we did when I was a child!

2  Thank fransmom