General Sutter Inn
US$122
US$75
US$139
US$132
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsthird floorbanquet roombaby showerhistoric hotelthe penthousebeautiful townbulls head public housethe wait stafffried picklesfilet mignongreat beercorner roomno air conditioningmen's bathroomon taphotel staffyogurt
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I went to a cask ale beer festival here which was well run and a lot of fun. The Inn is classic but down on its heel. The carpet in restaurant needs removed and a wood floor put in or revealed. The bed rooms are a hoot. Very old fashion with wallpaper decoration out of the 50's and probably put up in the '50's. The room was incredibly hot fortunately the window did open to cool down. The bath tub had a big ugly rust spot. The toilet was more for a child than an adult. The room comes with a 'continental breakfast'. Road house coffee, a toaster oven that burns your fingers when you remove your english muffin or bagel. In 25 minutes I did not see a single staff member refresh anything so next second glass of juice for me. On the Saturday morning I had a $10 English breakfast which was really good. Real bacon, real sausage and even black pudding which was excellent. This was served in the attached pub, The Bull's Head. The pub section is like a real English pub not one of these faux English/Irish pub. They served two real beers ( cask conditioned ) which were excellent and a selection of micro keg beers. The owner is from England so I congratulate him on this part of the Inn. The restaurant food was good, although they need Coleman's mustard to serve with the good scotch egg, not Worcestershire sauce...yuck! The pork pie is not made on premises, but still appreciated and was served correctly with Branston Pickle. The fish and chips was not nice, pollock instead of cod or haddock. The fries were fresh cut but not real chips which are fatter and cooked twice. The chef is not English. He did better with American foods on the menu. Another problem is there is no where to park. They have 6 slots in a private lot 2 minute walk from the hotel but these are always filled up and not reserved for residents. There is no unloading space for the hotel, the town council should be more accommodating. The best thing about the General Sutter was the staff, every one of them form Jenn in reception to my waiters were all excellent and not just going through the motions. I also love the fire in the reception area. The festival was fabulous, I will be back but will not stay at the Inn. This place was really busy and doing a good business, the locals seem to love it and I am sure it is going to get better. It needs a good refurbishment, room by room. It is OK to have stylish and comfortable furniture in a room and still keep the lovely features of an older place.

Room Tip: avoid room 200
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We stayed in this cute little inn for 1 night. Our stay was pleasant and the room and hotel were very clean. I am not usually very picky, but I thought it was a shame that the wallpaper in the bathroom was completely peeling off the walls, and the room was not as clean as a $150+ a night room should be. Overall, I would recommend this inn if you're passing through Lititz / Lancaster. The staff were very pleasant as well!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kmw278
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Never stayed on site, because we live in town, but we eat regularly at the Sutter. The meals are always prepared like few can do it. The dining room is precious. The hotel bar, while small, is welcoming. The patio is the best the town has to offer in camaraderie in terms of staff and customers. Great place for any reason. Located next to the Bulls Head.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2013

First, let me say, We will go back again. Our room, 222, was lovely. It faced on the alley and was very quiet. In addition to the bed, there were two chairs (which we love). My complaint is that the bathroom needed painting, the shower curtain needed changing (worn-not dirty) and the radiator needed dusting behind it. The shower ran all night (more than dribbled). I reported this and was told it was all being worked on. We'll see. We love the location so much, we'll return. Steps are difficult for my husband. There is no one to take your bags upstairs. We managed, but would have preferred some help. It is a creaky old building and very charming, nicely decorated. If you can overlook some of the signs of aging, I would recommend all it has to offer. The pub next door (attached) has great crab cakes and many beers to try (a limited menu but well varied). It has an active bar scene and is very busy. There is also a very popular restaurant attached. We did not try the Continental Breakfast at the hotel. There is a shop down the street, I think is called Chocolate that has lattes etc and organic omelets etc. We love this shop, so we ate there. There are many other attractions in walking distance that make this a worthwhile destination. Check in times are generous and much less restrictive than B&Bs.

Room Tip: Since steps were an issue and there is no elevator, we chose the second floor. We were happy with 222. It was down the alley and very quiet (we wanted to sleep late on Sunday). There are suites on the third floor that are newly remodeled. You might like to try these if steps are not an issue.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2013

My wife and I spent the night at the General Sutter Inn for a little one day getaway to Lititz. The room we stayed in definitely retained its old charm. If you enjoy history as I do, this is a cool little inn. The room we stayed in was facing the main st and I believe over top of the Bulls Head Pub. The street noise didn't bother me, but it was a bit loud at times until around midnight. We stayed in room 212. We had some great craft beers and nachos at the Bulls Head, just down the stairs to the right. . I would highly recommend stopping in Bulls Head. We would lodge here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple