“Great place, great town” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alden House Bed and Breakfast

Alden House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 10 Lititz B&B and Inns
Pineland, Florida
“Great place, great town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

Stayed at the Alden in late December. Place is immaculate, well situated, and the owners are very congenial. Food is top notch. I love Lititz, so I could sleep in a car and be happy, but this is a very nice B&B and I would tell anyone to stay there.

Room Tip: The heater fireplaces have TWO switches in back, one provides heat.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MoRahn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

The Alden House B&B is excellently located on East Main Street in the center of Lititz, PA. My wife and I stayed here because of its being in the Amish country, which we loved exploring. The Amish people are very industrious and friendly.

The B&B is excellently run by Lynndell and John Eccleston, with seven lovely rooms and fine breakfasts, plus lots of good advice upon request.

We stayed in the Carriage House Suite -- extremely comfortable and convenient to both the main house and the parking lot. The free WiFi worked well from our enclosed vestibule, but not from the rest of the Carriage House.

Overall, the Alden House deserves major praise.

Room Tip: The carriage House Suite is excellent in comfort and location.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jsoshea
Collingswood, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

Alden House is a great B&B. It is well located on the main drag in Lititz PA, which is a spectacularly beautiful old time main street with many cute shops and interesting period architecture. The Innkeepers John & Lyndell are very friendly and quick to offer information on or directions to local attractions. The establishment is very very very very very clean. I kind of wish my own home were that clean.

Expect your breakfast to be EXCELLENT. Not because it is giant helpings of decadent artery clogging/diabetes inducing "country breakfast" food that leaves you needing a nap. It's wonderful because it is a balanced meal served in several small courses that will leave you feeling satiated and ready to take on the day and yet ,somehow, it manages to still be completely delicious. If you are late risers like my wife and I, you'll be happy to know that even though breakfast is typically served around 8am or so, we were graciously served ours considerably later than the rest of the guests (around 9:15 or so I think, but I don't really remember)

We stayed in the Alethea Suite on the 1st floor. The sitting room was comfortable, spacious and well decorated. I loved those high ceilings (over 8 feet, maybe 10 feet?) The bathroom just of the sitting room also serves as access to the bedroom. We actually really liked that layout, as it provided an extra rooms buffer from the dining room and made the bedroom feel very private. The bedroom was also very comfortable, spacious, and well decorated. The bed was wonderful to sleep in, however if your intentions are more sinister plan on waking every person in the house with the super loud squeaking.

THE EXTRAS: Convenient Private Parking. Cable TV (bedroom and sitting room). Microwave and mini fridge stocked with sodas and bottled water are available 24hrs a day in the kitchen. 3 large glass snack containers filled with home made baked goods and a Keurig machine in the dining room, also available 24hrs a day. And our favorite, a keypad on the door and an envelope with your name on it containing room keys allows for anytime late check-in!!!

A NOTE ON THE REVIEWERS: My wife and I are in our mid 20s. We love to stay at B&Bs because of the personal service, the yummy breakfasts, and well, because once you have... hotels seem cold, disgusting, and awful. We both love to meet new people and have fun conversations, however, we do NOT like to do that first thing in the morning. This can be the awkward part of a B&B stay for us, as many B&B guests enjoy this travelers' camaraderie and may have even chosen a B&B for exactly that reason. If you are like us, know that Alden house will not force you to sit next to strangers or otherwise force that social element upon you in any way.(A lot of places will, either by actively seating you closely amidst the other guests, or passively with smallish poor dining room layouts) On the other hand, if you DO enjoy that element in a B&B, know that the dining room is rich with other breakfast revelers just like you waiting to talk all about the local goings-on.

OVERALL: This place rules. They are doing B&B 100% right from top to bottom. If you are planning a stay in Lancaster County I would strongly recommend Alden House. We loved it!

P.S. Don't think just because you are in Amish country that you will be without all of your staple modern chain businesses. You are a very short ride (10 mins-ish) from MANY new (as of 10/2011) stores and conveniences. TARGET!

Room Tip: If you are a younger couple like my wife and I, and you plan on slipping in and out without stopping...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BrianRutledge
Media, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

Run by a quiet and religious family, John and Lyndell are lovely hosts. The house and rooms are very very nice, and the location is optimal. The prices are reasonable. I keep back one star because the breakfasts, although delicious, are often too full of sugar. But they are anxious to accommodate any physical issues like diabetes or allergies. This is where I always stay when I go to Lancaster County.

Room Tip: The ground floor suite has a private building entrance from the parking lot -- very handy.
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank tzefirah
Annville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

I rented the inn for a birthday weekend. The location was great! We enjoyed catching up and people watching on the front porch. Breakfasts were delicious and John and Lyndell were very accommodating. I highly recommend this inn. A perfect get away!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank aethoover
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

The Alden house is the kind of B&B I would probably run if I were so inclined. Clean, efficient, with not too much kitschy antique-shop over-abundance in the decor. The breakfast was very well prepared and served by the somewhat voluble, somewhat reserved innkeepers. A squeaky bed somewhere in the back of the inn was an occasional annoyance. I plan to return again to sample one of the other rooms available. During a brief tour of the inn during turnover, I was impressed with the layout of the rooms I was able to view. It is located within striking distance of most everything in Lancaster County, and boasts not only a chocolate factory, but a pretzel bakery!

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Icondaemon
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2010

This past June, my wife and I stayed at the Alden House for several days as part of our honeymoon. I grew up in Lancaster County, but definitely saw a different, more elegant and historic side of it during our visit. John and Lynndell went out of their way to serve us, recommending to us various shops in the area where we could purchase gifts for my friend, who was getting married that weekend, and even finding a dining gift certificate that we could use during the days we were there.

We stayed in the Carriage House, and were amazed by how spacious, comfortable, and private it was. We also enjoyed the chocolate, tea, and coffee that were supplied in generous quantities. The breakfasts were lavish and always provided a good start to our days. Altogether, the Alden House was the best bed and breakfast at which we stayed during our honeymoon, and we look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lititz
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites/Lititz
Lancaster Inn & Suites
Lancaster Inn & Suites
#5 of 7 in Manheim
EJ Bowman House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Alden House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!