1740 House
US$86
Priceline
US$168
US$148
All reviewsdelaware riverbucks countyholly hedgequaint bed and breakfastgreat view of the riversized bedweekend breakfastfire pitcomfortable roombuffet breakfastthoroughly enjoyed our staybeautiful arearelaxing getawaya great place to stayfall foilagecinnamon french toastfresh fruit
Reviewed 11 March 2013

We had a family wedding here from a Friday to Sunday. I stayed in suite 19, first floor. The room was spacious and clean except the carpet looked like it needed a good deep wash. The king bed was extremely uncomfortable, the only complaint about the room. The place is right on the river, with beautiful views. Since it was all family staying there, I got to go inside many of the rooms. They all seemed very nice. Our Friday night event was held in the Grand room - its a huge room, with a huge outdoor private deck and awesome views. At night we were able to sit around the fire pit outside and make smores or go inside to the common room where a nice fire was burning too. The workers were ok, the main owner guy wasnt that friendly. I think he seemed annoyed because we had so many people there all over the place. But everything was really nice and the breakfast on both mornings was good. Lots to choose from and a nice room to eat in. it was a 10 minute drive into new hope which was nice.

Room Tip: suites are much bigger and the Grand room was awesome
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2013

Thank you for sharing your visit to the 1740 House. Room 19 is the second largest room at the inn and is frequently requested by repeat guests. We welcome all comments regarding our guests experience and will look into how to improve on your concerns.

Many of the other wedding guests stated they would be returning again to enjoy the scenic area. I hope you will join them.

Richard

Reviewed 2 December 2012

We stayed at the 1740 house for a wedding being held at their sister property. I booked my room with a nice gentleman who gave me confirmation number, room #14 (king bed), and the deposit amount charged to my credit card. Upon check-in, I was told they did not have my reservation. Somehow I was given a confirmation # with only 4 digits although they said all confirmation numbers have 6 digits since last year. After searching the computer for almost 30 minutes they finally agreed to give us a room. The room was very small with a full sized bed (listed as a queen) the only lighting was 2 small bedside lamps, the bathroom was tiny and the water temperature while showering alternated between scalding and freezing no matter what the setting. Instead of a closet there was a rack to hang our clothes and although the view was beautiful, we could not enjoy it due to the amount of people celebrating in the bridal suite we shared the small balcony with. This room was 1/2 the size of the other rooms and cost the same. I then learned that the couple who booked the room we got insisted on being moved to another room due to the noise level from the bridal suite. They were moved to a suite at no extra charge. When I brought this to the attention of the innkeepers, I was told in a nasty tone that because they had arrived 30 minutes earlier they were given the room. We had 5 couples who knew our room had been booked almost a week before theirs (including the one who made the switch), but instead of offering us a discounted rate, it was insinuated that I had lied about having a reservation. It turns out we were not the only one's who had a problem. One couple had a room as disgraceful as ours, had no heat until 12:30 am, no soap and the same problem with the shower. Two families with 3 people were each given a room with 1 bed instead of the 2 beds they requested. Our breakfast experience was good, however another family member who asked when a hot item would be replenished was told they were not making any more because the buffet was closing in 15 minutes. From our experience the owners have no interest in anything but taking advantage of people who have no other options and certainly made their money off of our large family. I would never again stay on a property owned by these people. the 8 hours of driving back and forth would have been preferable to our stay.

Room Tip: make sure you have a valid confirmation number and the names, dates and times of who took the reservation.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DeeDee433
Rlobach, Manager at 1740 House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2012

The staff of The 1740 House tries its best to accommodate the needs and requests of every guest.

Mistakes do occur, and if a guest arrives and we determine that a mistake has been made on the part of our staff, I personally see that the concern is resolved to the satisfaction of the guest.

At time of reservation we provide a confirmation by email of all information, including a copy of the registration and deposit paid. In this particular case, neither the inn staff or the guest could produce records indicating a reservation had been made and a deposit paid. I have continued to research for that record; even in today's high-tech world, it is possible to lose information. With that said, it is not possible to refund a deposit without record of a deposit ever paid.

Every room at The 1740 House is different in size and decor, with the view of the Delaware River helping to provide the charm they all share. The entire inn has an exceptional level of quaintness to it, making the overall experience a memorable one.

As the innkeeper I attend to all facets of the inn's daily care, which includes the check-in, breakfast, and check-out periods. I am available 24/7, in person and by cell phone, to receive requests and resolve concerns. I accepted compliments from other guests who were a part of your wedding group, many of them indicating they would be returning for another stay.

Should you or the inn staff be able to produce the records of a reservation and deposit, I would look forward to making the financial corrections as part of satisfying your concerns.

Yours in Hospitality,

Reviewed 27 November 2012

The 1740 House is right on the Delaware River w/ a beautiful view. There was a balcony for warmer weather. The room was extremely clean and spacious. The morning breakfast was a wonderful assortment of hot and cold choices in a dining room with river views. At night you can lounge at the bar or sit in a cozy living room area with a fire place. It is a nice place to unwind. The inn is close to area attractions. Lastly a very nice staff will make your stay lovely!

Room Tip: stay in room 17, on the end and very spacious.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 712CC
Richard L, Manager at 1740 House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

Thank you for the compliments. I like to think we offer a special place for people when they stay with us. I have pass on the review to the team of Tammy, Kim, Tricia, Sara, Lou Ann and Wendy. Many people have their favorite rooms here at the 1740 House. I would have to say if you like up and out of the way , Room 17 is a perfect fit. I have my own favorite room too, but I only share which room it is when people request it. Don't stay away too long, All of us at the 1740 House love to see returning guest.

Reviewed 28 September 2012

We planned a short get-away in Buck's County; we have been to New Hope & many of the surroundings, but always said we would stay a few days. Hubby selected 1740 House based on these wonderful Trip Advisor reviews. We have never been to a B&B and were pleasantly surprised. The staff is just super! We were just delighted with the accommodations. overlooking the lovely river and listening to the birds, & enjoying the peaceful surroundings. When we checked out this morning, we had mellowed-out and were so relaxed and it was exactly what we needed.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 17; this was located at the very end on the second floor. It was very private, quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SuzieQ044
Richard L, Manager at 1740 House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2012

Thank you for the sharing your stay on Tripadvisor. The staff and I love what we do in providing the environment to relax. Of course the natural surroundings make it easy. Come back soon and we will help you relax again.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

Great atmosphere right on the Delaware River in Bucks County in quaint Lumberville, near the Black Bass and footbridge. Look at the river flowing by while in your bed! This is a real inn with real Americana feel to it. About 25 rooms, all of which are a little different, some with fireplaces. Nice four-poster, flat screen TV. The entire back of the inn faces the river. A great little private pub with nice bartender for a late afternoon/early evenign libation; and a pretty breakfast room for buffet breakfast with quiche, scones, pancakes, jellies, etc.while looking at the river; nice patio tables as well if you prefer eating outside. Friendly staff who was very accomodating at providing room choices and recommendations. Really nice people and a great place to branch out up and down the river and into Bucks County from (e.g. Lahaska, Lambertville, Point Pleasant, etc).

Room Tip: We liked #14 and its great river view. During the cold weather, you might prefer one of the rooms with a fireplace.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Richard L, Manager at 1740 House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2012

Thank You , the positive post regarding your stay is greatly appreciated. I will pass your compliments on to the staff here at 1740 House.
Come back soon, fall is coming and the tree colors should be great again this year!