“Wonderful getaway”
Review of 1740 House

1740 House
Ranked #1 of 2 Lumberville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 May 2013

1740 house is the perfect getaway for couples. My girlfriend and I recently spent a relaxing four days there. I love how peaceful and quiet it is. It's a great spot to escape from the noise of the city for a few days. This was my second trip to the inn so I felt it necessary to share my experience. Each of the rooms on their grounds are unique and ours was comfortable, and extra cozy with its own fireplace. The innkeeper was incredibly friendly along with all the staff. We really felt welcome there. They have a great bar and the food was excellent. One of my favorite parts of the trip was relaxing around the fire pit overlooking the river with a few beer. I would definitely recommend a visit to anyone looking for a comfortable, quiet place in the area. You won't regret it.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience at the 1740 House.

You mentioned that this was your second trip to the inn. I hope that you will be able to getaway and visit often.

I will forward your compliments to the staff at 1740 House.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

We recently held our wedding at Holly Hedge Estate, and our bridal party and families stayed here the night before. Our experience was unforgettable in the most positive way-- the breakfast was incredible, bar and cocktails were fantastic, and the view from the patio overlooking the Delaware made it a very special experience. We highly recommend staying here-- without any reservations (no pun intended!)!!

Room Tip: Get the Second Floor Suite! It has a rooftop patio.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience at the1740 House.

1740 House works closely with Hollyhedge Estates to offer the best in Destination Weddings in Bucks County.

I am pleased that you liked the views of the river. You will have to return each season to see the changes to the colors of the trees.

I will pass your compliments onto Tammy (breakfast) and Lou Ann (bartender)

Reviewed 11 April 2013

I recently spent a lovely weekend at the 1740 House. I had chosen this hotel in expectation of asking my girlfriend's hand in marriage. I stayed at the inn more than 20 years ago and found it beautifully redone. The atmosphere could not have been better. The room was spacious and well appointed, with a gas fireplace and view of the river. Many of the B&B's require a 2 night stay, but suites are available for 1 night, at an exceptionally reasonable rate. The only trouble we had was that the dining room was closed for an event, but there are any number of romantic restaurants in the immediate area. When we told Richard the innkeeper that he was the first to hear of our engagement, we returned after dinner to find a split of champagne on ice with 2 glasses on our doorstep. When we thanked him the next day after a wonderful buffet breakfast, he introduced us to his lovely wife who showed us the wedding options available at the inn. This is the second marriage for both of us, with 5 children in the mix, but after a beautiful start we had at the 1740 House, I'm sure it can only be a life of love and happiness for all!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 992johnr992
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2013

Thank You for sharing your experience at the 1740 House. I felt very honored to be one of the first to hear of your engagement!. I hope the 1740 House will be part of future romantic getaways!

Reviewed 16 March 2013

My son and his new bride held a "wedding-weekend" at the 1740 House that I will never forget, nor want to forget. The atmosphere was exactly as I would have chosen myself had I been the one planning the wedding. It was warm and inviting on first entry. We were greeted by the inn-keeper who was more than cordial. He was helpful and resourceful. His wife was an excellent cook and we all thoroughly enjoyed the huge breakfasts which were set up in a dining room with windows overlooking the Delaware River. The scenery was breathtaking; the service.impeccable. The room that had been arranged for us was on the first floor so that I would not have trouble with stairs.The rooms were clean and bright. The area was a shoppers delight. Antique stores abounded interspersed with first quality restaurants. We had a wonderful time at the 1740 House. It was the best wedding ever.

Room Tip: Some rooms over look the river. All are quiet and clean
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Rlobach, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I will be sure to forward the wonderful compliments to the staff members of 1740 House. The staff would love to see all of you again when its time to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

Spent a week end with family and friends enjoyed their delicious meals their indoor fireplace and outdoor fire over looking the river and canal, laid back atmosphere .They are just up river from Lambert ville and New hope and all that kind of shopping that I like and above all else is their friendly and helpful attitude.

Room Tip: They all have great views our room had a fireplace king size bed could not have expected more !
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Thank you sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. It will soon be time to put the outdoor fire pits away as the weather gets warmer and enjoy the Delaware River shoreline as it gets green. Would love to share another season with your group. Summer and Fall are a great time to return.

Reviewed 13 March 2013

After working for Westin Hotels I find the level of my customer service expectations to be much higher then most establishments can meet. The 1740 House has not only met my expectations, but it has exceeded them. Soon as I walked through the door I was greeted by the Inn Keeper. Richard expressed how the staff of the 1740 house were there to make my experience memorable and did they ever. The breakfast was unique in its flavor combinations while staying classic in it's ingredients, the work of a true culinary wizard. The housekeeping staff was prompt in response to any and all requests and also offered more then once to help with baggage to and from my car. The internal decor and exterior layout of the property enhanced my experience all the while hugging the banks of The Delaware River, reminding me of easier times growing up when I would run bird dogs through the fields of my grandfather's Pennsylvania farm. I can not give The 1740 House enough Stars. "A MUST!"

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2013

The beautiful scenic surroundings of the 1740 House provide an exceptional palate to serve our guests in a fun and loving way. Through compliments like the ones you shared here on TripAdvisor, it is great to know we got it right. We all look forward to seeing you again soon.

P.S. Remember to request Blueberry French Toast when making your reservation.

Reviewed 13 March 2013

After staying at the 1740 House last winter, we chose to have our wedding guests stay here for our wedding this past weekend. It was a beautiful weekend - snowfalls on Friday and a beautiful and warm day on Saturday. All our guests remarked at what a wonderful time they had and said this was the best wedding ever. The food was outstanding, and the staff went above and beyond for us at every opportunity. The innkeeper, Richard, and his wife, Theresa were very accommodating and sweet as could be. We had exactly the rustic and cozy atmosphere we were looking for. The Grand Suite was large enough to host 25 people for a Friday reception, and provided amazing views and a large outdoor deck with cute furniture. We held an after-party for about 40 people with desserts inside and a firepit with s'mores outside. We had some friends bring guitars and had a blast just singing songs, eating the wonderful food, and lounging in the living area. I would recommend the 1740 House to anyone looking for a relaxing getaway or a charming, rustic wedding.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, although we especially loved 6, 18, 7, 23, 18, and 2.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for allowing us to be host to your wedding guests overnight needs.

The group was a true pleasure to host. I will be certain to pass all of the compliments on to the staff. The staff had a great time being of service and the sing-a-longs by the firepit were contagious. (We caught ourselves singing too!) We hope to see you next year for your first anniversary.

P.S. Bring the guitars, I will have the firepits set up for the second set.
Innkeeper

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lumberville
4 mi away
#11 of 19 in New Hope
Porches on the Towpath
Porches on the Towpath
#3 of 19 in New Hope

Been to 1740 House? Share your experiences!