“Exceptional”

Ranked #1 of 2 Lumberville B&B and Inns
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
“Exceptional”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Decided to surprise my girlfriend with a weekend getaway and this place delivered beyond my expectations. The room was immaculately clean and comfortable, the view was incredible, and the gas fireplace really topped it off. Richard, the innkeeper, is beyond friendly and seemed genuinely devoted to making our stay a great one. The breakfast buffet had incredible food, (probably the best bread pudding i have ever had,) and the entire staff was attentive and helpful. I will definitely be returning for years to come.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are only a bit more expensive and come with a wonderful gas fireplace.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CS628
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank You for thinking of the 1740 House for a surprise getaway. I have shared your compliments with Trish and Emily in Housekeeping and Tammy in the kitchen. Our breakfast entrees are rotated on a weekly basis. Please be sure to mention the bread pudding when making your next reservation and we will have it available on your next stay.

Innkeeper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Beautiful setting, friendly reception BUT the sofa in the room was more comfortable than the bed and there's a 1-hour opportunity for breakfast. I had to pay a 50% non-refundable deposit and I specifically requested a soft bed. If the person to whom I spoke had said that all of our beds are "firm", I would have known to look elsewhere. Also, for the price, one should not have to have breakfast by 9:30.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank RLW841
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear RLW841,
I am sorry that the 1740 House did not meet your expectations. I want to assure you that we take all of our guest concerns seriously and welcome our guest to voice their displeasure at the time it occurs or at checkout so that we can offer a remedy that meets their needs. I do not recall seeing you at check out and wish I had had the opportunity to speak to you in person.

Our deposit policy is a 50% deposit to confirm a reservation. The 50% deposit is applied to the room statement and the balance due at check in. I confirmed this was processed properly for your room. Cancellation and refund policies are stated on the email confirmation that is sent with each confirmed reservation.

For the benefit of Trip Advisor members our Refund policy is :
A reservation cancelled two weeks prior to the arrival date is refunded minus a 10% penalty for processing fees. A reservation cancelled within two weeks of arrival has the deposit held for a future stay and a reservation cancelled within 24 hours of arrival is charged in full. None of these cancellation scenarios applied to your reservation since you stay at the inn.

Our breakfast is offered as a full breakfast buffet from 8:30am to 9:30 am. We do maintain the buffet past the 9:30am time frame (as we did during your stay) with the knowledge that there may be guest who needs additional time in the morning. We always offer a lighter fare breakfast to guest who even sleep past checkout time of 11:00am. We also will offer breakfast earlier than 8:30 am with advance notice for a guest needing an early start.

The 1740 House, like many bed and breakfast have either the owner or an employee that lives at the inn to meet guest needs. This allows the inn staff to meet the guest needs at any hour of the day or evening. Please know that I would have made every attempt to locate a room with a mattress to your liking had I had the opportunity to do so.

If your travels bring back to the area please let me know, I would like the opportunity exceed your expectations.

Middletown, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Been coming here for 15 years and love the relaxation this inn provides. This owner provides a wonderful breakfast and greets you with a welcoming conversation. Breakfast is served in the dining room with small intimate tables instead of a family style table, which makes it cozy and relaxed. The view is wonderful and makes it one of the best places to stay in the area. My only regret is the loss of the pool in the summer months.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Thank you for the compliments of the inn's relaxing and welcoming setting. We love to see that returning guest feel every visit is a positive experience. We look forward to having you return in the spring or summer and enjoy the new courtyard area.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Our group, 6 couples, had a wonderful time in Lumberville. The 1740 House was charming and the innkeeper and his wife were wonderful to us. Actually everyone we met was great. Trish the bartender was very nice . They don't have a restaurant, but cooked us amazing breakfasts and the bar had food that was excellent. The night we arrived the bar was full with a group watching football, but we felt right at home. The view from every room was amazing. The inn sits right on the Delaware river. We had snow too which made it feel so cozy. Our room had a fireplace which was nice. The great room also had a large fireplace and wonderful leather furniture. The bright and sunny breakfast room was great in the mornings. You have to go outside and back in to get to the great room and breakfast area, but that was no problem. I'd like to go back when its warmer so we could enjoy the outdoor space. All in all it was a very enjoyable New Years Eve. Oh we had dinner at the Black Bass Hotel 1/8 of a mile up the road. It was excellent.

Room Tip: Take a room on the upper floors. We had an end on the bottom floor which had a little patio, but it...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Marge B
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at the 1740 House. Your group was wonderful to service over New Years Eve period. Be sure to come back when the weather is warmer and experience sitting out in the morning for breakfast and then again with a cocktail in the evening.

Radnor, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This cozy Inn sits right on the water and exceeded our expecations in every way. The view can't be matched and the room was cozy, comfortable and VERY quiet. No noise whatsovever. The breakfast that is included is by far the best I've had in ages. Highly recommend. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank WendyfromPA
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
The best part of my job is to share the positive post of our guest with the staff. The inn itself is in a terrific location and the naturally beautiful surroundings add to making a visit to the 1740 House wonderful. I will be sure to let Tammy know you liked the breakfast and tell the rest of the staff that we exceeded your expectations.

Richard l
Innkeeper

P.S Hope to have you return soon!
Somerset, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My husband and I were married at the 1740 House on September 21st, 2013. We had trouble finding a place willing to host our small wedding (25 people) who were willing to do everything the way we wanted it. 1740 House exceeded our expectations, and it was very affordable! We told Wendy what we wanted, and she made sure it was done perfectly! The food was amazing, as well!

The rooms are beautiful, all with a nice view of the river. The only reason I'm giving four stars is because the bathrooms could use a little updating. I thougth the bed was comfy, however my husband had trouble with it. I also felt that things seemed a bit unorganized when we were booking rooms (like I was told all of the rooms were available when we booked the date, but when I called 4 days later to book our room, they said only there were only a couple of available rooms left...yet my entire family eventually got rooms??) Other than that, it was a wonderful stay and I wouldn't mind coming back for a romantic weekend!

Room Tip: We stayed in North room 18 which was beautiful. My husband used room 16 to get ready in on our wedd...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Thank You for selecting the 1740 House for your Wedding location. Wendy, the Events Manager does an exceptional job listening and providing what each and every bride wants on that special day. Many newlywed couples come back for their first year anniversary but you don't have to wait a year to come and visit again.

Marietta, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 October 2013

This is a wonderful place to stay! Stayed there for our daughter's wedding. The rehearsal dinner was there & it was delicious! All the employees were wonderful! I can not say enough
about how kind they all were. A special thank you to Patricia and the librarian bartender!
Made the evening even more special for all of us. Breakfasts were soo delicious also and everything ran like clockwork. Our room was perfect! we had plenty of room for the girls to get their hair done and just hang out! A special thank you to whoever came and cleaned our room after we left for the wedding, it was a mess! so thank you again. Richard & Kim were just amazing! Nothing you asked them to do was a bother. Would recommend this to anyone! The views and location just gorgeous! This is a great getaway too. Look forward to coming back sometime for relaxation.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Thank You for posting about your visit to the 1740 House. Sharing TripAdvisor posts with the staff is always exciting. Patricia, Debbie (the bartender) and Kim loved that they were mentioned and I made sure to let Tay, Miriam and Emily know their efforts of attending to the room while everyone was at the wedding was appreciated. Hope to see you back soon!!

Richard L.
Innkeeper
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lumberville
The Lambertville House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Upper Black Eddy
Woolverton Inn
Woolverton Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockton

Been to 1740 House? Share your experiences!