“Super friendly staff”
Review of 1740 House

1740 House
Ranked #1 of 2 Lumberville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed at the 1740 house over the weekend because I had a crawfish party to go to that was close by. I'm not from the area so I needed to spend the night. The innkeeper greeted me when I came in and she showed me my room and gave me a great tour. She really made me feel welcome. The have a cute bar on site and they serve small plates. The view from the bar and my room was amazing. I was nervous about staying at a b&b cause I didn't think I would have enough privacy, but it wasn't an issue at all. And my breakfast was more then amazing, you could really tell it was made with love. It's very evident that the staff all love their job, they made me feel so comfortable.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 16, but all of the rooms looked beautiful. And my room had a private deck.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear Stacey E, Thanks for the compliments regarding your stay at the1740 House. Every guest gets a quick tour of the inn. Of course we invite our guest to explore the different views each area of the inn offers of the Delaware River. I will be sure to share with Megan and Tricia (bar and small plates) and Tammy (breakfast) your compliments. They love to hear they made a 1740 stay memorable.

Richard L

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We have a special fondness for the 1740 House, going back to when the original owner, Harry, presided. The inn is very well maintained, the innkeepers Richard and Tammy are more than gracious, and the entire staff is friendly and helpful. The site is beautiful and every room faces the Delaware. Dinner at the Black Bass next door is consistently superb. The buildings and property are well kept up. And don't miss strolling or biking on the nearby towpath.

But the beds, as other reviewers have noted, feature extremely hard mattresses. In fact, we've had far better nights sleep at inexpensive motels. And the in-room chairs and patio furniture is also old (and not in a good way) and uncomfortable. Much as we love the place and have many great memories, our next stay in Bucks County will have to be at an inn with comfortable beds - or which at least offers a choice other than super firm mattresses.

Another point by a reviewer is also worth noting: the breakfast is much fancier than under the original owner, but limiting it to 8:30 to 9:30 is very inconvenient. My suggestion is to offer less and offer it all morning, with coffee and a continental breakfast from 6:30 onward.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael C
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Thank You for the compliments mentioned regarding the friendly and helpful manner of the staff during your stay. With summer fast approaching the scenic Delaware River and the grounds around the 1740 House are turning green and making the inn an idea getaway place

We always encourage our guest to share their experience on Tripadvisor, your comments regarding the beds and the comfort of seating will be forwarded to the ownership for review.

Our breakfast hour of 8:30am to 9:30 am is a base time that fits a majority of our guest needs. The inn's staff is always available to get our guest off to an earlier start or prepare something for the guest who has missed the breakfast for the purpose of sleeping in.

Should you chose to visit again please contact me with your needs so that I may offer the best room for your comfort and desired breakfast times.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

My daughter got married in New Hope and my family stayed at the 1740 House for the celebration events. It was a wonderful experience for all of us...our rooms were clean and comfortable and the river view for each room was lovely. The Innkeeper was terrific, making sure we had everything we needed to make our stay as comfortable and pleasant as possible. Nothing was too much trouble for him. I would be remiss if I didn't give a "shout out" to his lovely wife who prepared the most amazing breakfasts for us (I even came away with some wonderful new recipes). My husband and I will definitely return to the 1740 House. I highly recommend it to you!

Room Tip: Look at the pictures on line
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Congratulations again on the marriage of your daughter. We love that the 1740 House has been the place for many wedding groups to stay at along with our sister Bed and Breakfast the Hollyhedge Estates.

The staff of 1740 House makes the position of innkeeper very easy and allows me the opportunity to add the little touches that our guest at 1740 House get to experience.

Tammy loves to share her recipes but do not slave too much at home making breakfast, just make reservations anytime you have the desire to have one of the breakfast entrees that you experienced and make sure to request your favorite so we have it on the menu.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Decided to surprise my girlfriend with a weekend getaway and this place delivered beyond my expectations. The room was immaculately clean and comfortable, the view was incredible, and the gas fireplace really topped it off. Richard, the innkeeper, is beyond friendly and seemed genuinely devoted to making our stay a great one. The breakfast buffet had incredible food, (probably the best bread pudding i have ever had,) and the entire staff was attentive and helpful. I will definitely be returning for years to come.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are only a bit more expensive and come with a wonderful gas fireplace.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CS628
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Thank You for thinking of the 1740 House for a surprise getaway. I have shared your compliments with Trish and Emily in Housekeeping and Tammy in the kitchen. Our breakfast entrees are rotated on a weekly basis. Please be sure to mention the bread pudding when making your next reservation and we will have it available on your next stay.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Beautiful setting, friendly reception BUT the sofa in the room was more comfortable than the bed and there's a 1-hour opportunity for breakfast. I had to pay a 50% non-refundable deposit and I specifically requested a soft bed. If the person to whom I spoke had said that all of our beds are "firm", I would have known to look elsewhere. Also, for the price, one should not have to have breakfast by 9:30.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank RLW841
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear RLW841,
I am sorry that the 1740 House did not meet your expectations. I want to assure you that we take all of our guest concerns seriously and welcome our guest to voice their displeasure at the time it occurs or at checkout so that we can offer a remedy that meets their needs. I do not recall seeing you at check out and wish I had had the opportunity to speak to you in person.

Our deposit policy is a 50% deposit to confirm a reservation. The 50% deposit is applied to the room statement and the balance due at check in. I confirmed this was processed properly for your room. Cancellation and refund policies are stated on the email confirmation that is sent with each confirmed reservation.

For the benefit of Trip Advisor members our Refund policy is :
A reservation cancelled two weeks prior to the arrival date is refunded minus a 10% penalty for processing fees. A reservation cancelled within two weeks of arrival has the deposit held for a future stay and a reservation cancelled within 24 hours of arrival is charged in full. None of these cancellation scenarios applied to your reservation since you stay at the inn.

Our breakfast is offered as a full breakfast buffet from 8:30am to 9:30 am. We do maintain the buffet past the 9:30am time frame (as we did during your stay) with the knowledge that there may be guest who needs additional time in the morning. We always offer a lighter fare breakfast to guest who even sleep past checkout time of 11:00am. We also will offer breakfast earlier than 8:30 am with advance notice for a guest needing an early start.

The 1740 House, like many bed and breakfast have either the owner or an employee that lives at the inn to meet guest needs. This allows the inn staff to meet the guest needs at any hour of the day or evening. Please know that I would have made every attempt to locate a room with a mattress to your liking had I had the opportunity to do so.

If your travels bring back to the area please let me know, I would like the opportunity exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Been coming here for 15 years and love the relaxation this inn provides. This owner provides a wonderful breakfast and greets you with a welcoming conversation. Breakfast is served in the dining room with small intimate tables instead of a family style table, which makes it cozy and relaxed. The view is wonderful and makes it one of the best places to stay in the area. My only regret is the loss of the pool in the summer months.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Thank you for the compliments of the inn's relaxing and welcoming setting. We love to see that returning guest feel every visit is a positive experience. We look forward to having you return in the spring or summer and enjoy the new courtyard area.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Our group, 6 couples, had a wonderful time in Lumberville. The 1740 House was charming and the innkeeper and his wife were wonderful to us. Actually everyone we met was great. Trish the bartender was very nice . They don't have a restaurant, but cooked us amazing breakfasts and the bar had food that was excellent. The night we arrived the bar was full with a group watching football, but we felt right at home. The view from every room was amazing. The inn sits right on the Delaware river. We had snow too which made it feel so cozy. Our room had a fireplace which was nice. The great room also had a large fireplace and wonderful leather furniture. The bright and sunny breakfast room was great in the mornings. You have to go outside and back in to get to the great room and breakfast area, but that was no problem. I'd like to go back when its warmer so we could enjoy the outdoor space. All in all it was a very enjoyable New Years Eve. Oh we had dinner at the Black Bass Hotel 1/8 of a mile up the road. It was excellent.

Room Tip: Take a room on the upper floors. We had an end on the bottom floor which had a little patio, but it...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Marge B
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience at the 1740 House. Your group was wonderful to service over New Years Eve period. Be sure to come back when the weather is warmer and experience sitting out in the morning for breakfast and then again with a cocktail in the evening.

Innkeeper

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lumberville
Golden Plough Inn at Peddler's Village
#1 of 1 in Upper Black Eddy
Woolverton Inn
Woolverton Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockton

Been to 1740 House? Share your experiences!