“Sunday Champagne brunch gem”
Review of Black Bass Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lumberville
Black Bass Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Lumberville B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Sunday Champagne brunch gem”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We have never eaten at Black Bass although I've wanted to come here for years. It is an hour ride for us, and today - the day of our meal - is rainy and dreary. We were not disappointed - it was worth the long ride. While it was not the usual lovely vista given the downpour, it was warm, comfortable and friendly inside. Delicious food. We wanted to do something a bit different to help my Mom celebrate her birthday, and this was a super nice touch. The champagne brunch is $35/person and includes 4 courses and homemade breads (choice from chocolate chip scones, buttermilk biscuits, and cinnamon muffins) -- a first course (the apple crepe was delicious), a second course of fruit topped with yogurt and granola, a third course selection (the petite filet with eggs was perfectly cooked), and a dessert selection (the cheesecake was light and delicious, although I could not finish it). Also on the menu is bottomless champagne, a french extra brut. To top things off, the staff - server Liz and hostess Kyle - could not have been friendlier or more accommodating -- my Mom did not want ANY fuss at all over her birthday, but they still presented her with a small box of chocolates, a birthday card (hand written). This made it a special event for her, and to see her smile really made it for us all. And I can see how it clearly is a romantic spot, so we will be back - for brunch and otherwise.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank clemence_k

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Whitehouse Station, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My wife and I have dined in the restaurant of this charming hotel previously and thought it would be a great idea to bring her sister to help celebrate her birthday. As expected, we weren't disappointed as the lunch was excellent! We began our lunch with soup, as my wife and her sister ordered the tomato puree and I ordered the soup of the day, which was cream of parsnip (which was a first for me). All excellent! I then ordered the house-made gnocchi while my wife ordered a parmesan crusted tilapia and my sis-in-law ordered the crab cake. No issues with any one of these, either! Very tasteful and delicious! We were so full that we passed on the desserts. What made the lunch extra special was when Karen, our waitress (an extremely pleasant woman with a vast knowledge of the menu) surprised my sis-in-law with a small box of birthday chocolates! I don't know about anyone else, but I've always been a sucker for a nice establishment that goes outside the box to make a special day even more special. Thank you so much Karen (and the Black Bass Restaurant & Hotel)! We'll be back soon!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tom E
Hazlet, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Review your bill before paying. We dined with a party of six. They added a 20% gratuity based on the bill and tax without telling us. They also had another receipt line for tip. Food was good, but the management is a bit deceitful. Their wine prices are marked up about 175%. The water was undrinkable. You can get a better deal and meal without getting gouged here. Don't think I will be heading their way again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Paul B
Tehachapi, California
Reviewed 8 December 2013

This has always been one of my favorite places to visit. The bar with all the old British plates and memorabilia, roasted seafood soup, a window seat over the river--atmosphere like nowhere else. Best of all, after lunch you can just walk outside the Inn and stroll from Pennsylvania to New Jersey on a footbridge crossing the Delaware. Beautiful any time of year but, of course, fall leaves are breathtaking. Don't miss this one.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Bucks County Pa
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Answer....I don't know. I've lived in the area for most of my adult life and never experienced the Black Bass Hotel. The Sunday brunch was excellent. Warm apple crepe. fruit yogart and granola,crap cakes, desert. and a bottomless glass of champagne all for a fixed price of $35 really can't beat that right. The servers were friendly and attentive. We set by the window which any season of the year would be enjoyable to look at as you dine. So if you live near or far to this lovely jewel on the Delaware stop waiting call someone you love and go this weekend you will be glad you did.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank rickpenne
Maplewood, NJ
Reviewed 24 November 2013

The Black Bass is way more than a B&B, this is a real Inn, with a restaurant, and two terrific bars. Beautifully restored without losing it's historic charm and character there is an attention to detail here that is hard to find. We've stayed here more than once and have always had a wonderful time. The staff is accommodating, the beds are comfy, and the decor is appropriate for the historic character of the building while being modern and comfortable. Beautifully renovated bathrooms. Breakfast is terrific in the main dining room with beautiful views of the Delaware River below.

The location can't be beat. We bring our bikes and use the adjacent tow path bike trails to get to New Hope, Lambertville, and French Town. It's a terrific weekend away without traveling too far from home.

Our latest visit was during peak foliage so the hotel was fully booked and we had to take the smaller Grover Cleveland Suite on the road side of the building. While we were pleased to save a bit on the rate for the cheaper room we agree with a few of the other posts here. This room and NOT quiet. Surprisingly the sound isn't from the main road but from within the building. Being adjacent to the main stairs you can hear every word and every step anyone takes en route to their rooms. It's not only annoying, but it also make you uncomfortable that if you can hear what everyone else is talking about, that probably means they can hear you in your room. It was not relaxing and there was an awkwardness of not having your privacy. The room was beautiful however, with a gorgeous bed and a fantastic bathroom with a giant tub.

Our suggestion is for the hotel to take a few measures to fix the sound issues. Maybe some weather stripping or a treatment to the door of the room to block out some of the sound, and some blown in insulation in the wall against the stairs would probably do a lot to buffer the paper thin walls and ease the sound problem. While we love going to the Black Bass, I would never book the Grover Cleveland Suite again, until that issue is resolved.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mestaunton
Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I didn't think it could be better, but, it was. The staff is so courteous and helpful, just makes the stay pleasant. Probably the best lobster dinner I ever had. A great way to get away from it all, do some hiking and just plain relax.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jack M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lumberville
The Lambertville House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Lumberville
Woolverton Inn
Woolverton Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockton

Been to Black Bass Hotel? Share your experiences!