“Beautiful Bear Creek”

Bear Creek Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Macungie
Reviewed 4 November 2013

So it took me a full 24 hours into the trip to understand that the Bear Creek Resort was built around Doe Mountain where I used to go skiing with my parents as a small child. I lived in LA for many years following and was delighted to find out that there was a nice, newer resort close to home.

We stayed from Sunday to Monday in a King Jacuzzi Suite facing the mountain, which apparently turns into a skiing wonderland on or around Dec 15th. For our part during this particular anniversary weekend, it was amazing because of how quiet the property was. In fact we heard that a wedding or two had cleared out before our arrival and so I think we saw about 10 people the whole time. Here are some quick highlights:

Lobby is beautiful--fireplace, rocking chairs, outdoor balcony
Trails End Café--a favorite for breakfast, lunch and snacks...only wish it was open as another option for dinner or after dinner treats
The Grille Restaurant--cozy, food a little pricey and not all that amazing but still ok.
Room--very nice. Keurig machine with coffee/tea selection (yay!) gas fireplace, Philosophy amenities, comfy bed, two great big windows, heat lamp in the bathroom, microwave and fridge (bring some snacks to heat up at night!), two TVs and nice Jacuzzi tub.
Front Desk--they have several board games for you to borrow if you like at no cost

Overall comments, it was a great resort for an off-season getaway. We would have liked to do the spa but we didn't feel like spending the extra money. As a suggestion to the property during off-season, perhaps they could offer discount specials (Sun-Thurs) because the prices, although comparable to a vacation spa or city spa, are just high enough to pass on.

There was an outdoor pool that is heated (you can see the steam coming off of it from the Trails End Café view) but I just couldn't imagine how frigid it would be once you came out of the heated water! We brought our suits to partake in the indoor pool, but such as is the case with many hotel indoor pools, it was just a small, dimly lit, blah environment so we passed.

It is definitely worth checking Bear Creek Resort in my view. If you are going off-season for more than one day/night, find plenty activities off property to fill up your day. However if you go during snow season I am sure it is a very different, lively environment :)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
BearCreekRep, General Manager at Bear Creek Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

I really appreciate such a thorough review and am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your visit. The place is definitely more lively in the winter although you can still get the feeling of having the resort to yourself on some of the midweek days.
I hope you are able to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Just loved it! We stayed for 2 nights in a Queen suite and we felt like we were away for much longer. We used both the indoor and outdoor pools and jacuzzis and had fabulous meals at the Grille. We appreciated the entire place being open even though it was off season.
The food was also great at the cafe. Loved the charm of the place--upscale rustic in my words. Just loved all the common places to relax with cozy couches, etc. The room was large and very clean and came with several better toiletries. We biked in the area so ran out of time to hike one of the several hiking trails on the property. We'll definitely be back. Also used the spa---massage/steam room was good as was the spa facility itself.

Room Tip: Slope side is more quiet, but more expensive. However, if in the south side of the hotel, and folk...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1sttimer2maine
BearCreekRep, General Manager at Bear Creek Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Thanks for the kind words and I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. Seeing that you are cyclists I would recommend coming back next summer and checking out the racing at the Valley Preferred Cycling Center, our local velodrome,. They even offer excellent introductory through advanced classes if you would like to try track cycling. Their website is www.thevelodrome.com.
Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

I picked this resort as a surprise for my husbands 50th birthday. He had no idea where we were going and he was pleasantly surprised. It was absolutely beautiful and just what I wanted. I cozy place to relax, complete with fireplaces all over, which I personally love, along with cozy furniture too. The staff was very helpful and all were very friendly. Our dinner was delicious, and waitress was wonderful, even recognizing his birthday as soon as she greeted us. I did buy the Celebration package, which was great by the way! Includes a small cake in your room, packed in a cute box with bow, and 50 dollars towards dinner and 20 for breakfast the next day. We also had a couples massage, separately paid for this, but was worth it. Perfect massage, wonderful spa, lovely facility and great staff. Would love to see it with the snow! Overall, very nice, a little noisy at times, room next to us I think was full of young ladies on spa week, and 3 weddings going on as well, but they really didn't interfere with our visit. Overall, great visit.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the slopes are much quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kimofhi
BearCreekRep, General Manager at Bear Creek Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thank you for choosing us for such a milestone celebration. Happy belated birthday to your husband and we hope you are able to visit again in the near future.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

went over past weekend for sadly just one evening with friends. This resort is just beautiful. It is amazing how many comfy couches, chairs and fireplaces are placed throughout the resort. They even go so far as to put a fireplace where the outside Jacuzzi is.
I truly enjoy a swim in the outside pool because it is heated and love the look of the mountain and the crisp air around me. There are many festivals throughout the year and of course they have skiing in the winter time.
There were 3 weddings going on while I was there. It was nice to see so many people happy in a lovely environment, The wedding parties did not interfere with my relaxing time at all. The resort was big enough to accommodate all.
All staff are gracious and helpful. It was truly a relaxing day and half. My only small negatives are that the main restaurant offers a menu that is not too appealing and the food is not prepared well and quite tasteless.The bar was nice however and the drinks were prepared good.

Even though I am not a fan of the restaurant I will definitely be back. This place is truly awesome for couples, famiies or just friend get together

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank minijeanie
BearCreekRep, General Manager at Bear Creek Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Thank you for being a frequent guest and it is wonderful to hear you continue to enjoy your getaways. I am sorry the restaurant isn't up to par. If you would like to contact me to discuss some of your suggestions for improvement I would appreciate the feedback.
You can reach me at 610-682-7100. Just ask for me when the call center answers.

Thanks,

Reviewed 15 September 2013

While I was there at the end of the summer and it was relatively dead, this hotel didn't slack at all. All of the rooms were very clean and HUGE. The hotel in general had a nice charm about it with fireplaces and rocking chairs all around and while I didn't visit the spa, I've heard it's quite a nice place. The food will not rock your world, but was better than average for hotel grub. My only complaint is something that can't be fixed: there is no easy way to get to this place. All of the roads leading to the place are two lane roads. Again, you can't fix it...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Dave O
BearCreekRep, General Manager at Bear Creek Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Thank you for the review and the kind words. I am glad you enjoyed the stay and hope you are able to return again in the future.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

We have had the pleasure of staying here about 4 times prior, but this was our first visit with our 5 year old grandson. We always get the king suite except this time we got the double queen suite, preferably slope side. The accommodations are beautifully decorated, spacious, very comfortable and relaxing. We consider their suites fantastic. Both pools are perfect.

The negatives we have are that Trail's End pricing could be a little lower. The 11:00 a.m. checkout time should be changed to Noon. Also, if you arrive earlier, the front desk should, if a comparable room is made up and ready, should check you in immediately and not have you wait unless you request a specific room. It would also be nice if they had some type of entertainment on Saturday evening.

We would recommend this fine hotel as it is lovely and would be perfect if they took care of the above mentioned negatives.

Room Tip: We prefer the Suites with a Slope View in the South Wing
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
BearCreekRep, General Manager at Bear Creek Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Thank you for the loyalty and the wonderful review. We will take your suggestions into consideration as we continue to strive for ways to improve our guests' experience. For future reference we try to accommodate late check-out requests when possible. It is always worth asking the front the desk, they are happy to help.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

Recently had the pleasure of staying at the Bear Creek for a wedding. We were from out-of-town so we spent the night in the king size room that the bride and groom had reserved for their guests. First the food at the wedding was absolutely delicious. They had three weddings all on the same night and I was amazed at how good the food was when they were cooking for so many. The room was very comfortable with a small kitchenette, cozy living room and large bedroom and bath. Would highly recommend staying at this resort.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Johnathan9
BearCreekRep, General Manager at Bear Creek Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. Our culinary team takes great pride in delivering excellent meals to our guests and I will be sure to share your compliments with them. I hope you have an opportunity to visit us again in the future.
Mark Schroetel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Macungie
Glasbern Inn - Fogelsville / Allentown
Allentown Park Hotel Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels
Historic Hotel Bethlehem
Historic Hotel Bethlehem
#1 of 15 in Bethlehem

Been to Bear Creek Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!