“One Of The Worst I've Stayed At In A Long Time”

Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Malvern - Great Valley
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Malvern
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This has to be one of the worst hotels I've stayed at in quite some time. It starts with the lobby - if that's what you can call it. It practically doesn't exist. As soon as you come through the door you're hit with the stench of stale cigarette smoke. They have a non-smoking floor, but the stench permeates the whole building. Rooms are fairly clean and have flat screen TV's, but only analog channels. Their free breakfast is a joke. They set up a table in the lobby wannabe with coffee, some packaged muffins and granola bars and that's it. Furniture in the rooms is old as is the carpet in the hallways. That being said, the front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. I would not recommend this hotel at all.

Room Tip: Unless you're a smoker, there are no good rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Malvern - Great Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Hi Vern,

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. We strive to provide our guest with a home away from home experience and we are sorry we failed to provide that. Your feedback regarding the odor and our "Grab - N - Go" breakfast is greatly appreciated as we continually strive to improve. Thank you again for posting your review of your stay with us. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations, in the future.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

The extended stay idea is, I understand, generally not for people who are just there for one night. So, the usual ammenities,such as little shampoo bottles,conditioner, etc. were nowhere to be found. No big deal. But, the hair dryer rack was empty, and when we asked for the expected item, we were told that there were no more available! It would have been nice to have more than 4 hangers in the closet also. But the worst part by far, was the incredible cigarette smoke smell in the hallways and public places. We had a non-smoking room that was fine, but stepping outside was pretty nasty. The room itself was clean and comfortable, and if that's all that matters to you, stay here. (Don't count on much of a breakfast here either, and there is no-decaf coffee)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Malvern - Great Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the odors in your room. I will meet with the staff to review our cleaning procedures to ensure your experience is not repeated. Please know, while we do not offer toiletry items in our guest rooms, we do have an amenity basket available at the front desk for guests to enjoy upon request. Your feedback regarding our free grab-and-go breakfast is greatly appreciated and it will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better stay in the future.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

staff was welcoming and friendly, room was clean and quiet, location was close to where i needed to be with many restaurants nearby, check-in and check-out was very convenient - definitely would stay here again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Malvern - Great Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Ken – Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at our hotel and the service our staff provided. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We look forward to hosting you again in the future!

Reviewed 29 April 2014

"I don't normally do this, but I really feel the need to complain. We are staying at the hotel this evening to be closer to where I am having a medical procedure very early tomorrow morning.

When we arrived and were given our room...we found the door key did not work and while my husband was downstairs figuring that out...I found it didn't work because someone was already given that room. That gentleman informed me that when he first went to his room....he found it also already occupied.

we finally got our queen room we'd reserved and found the blanket on the bed stained and covered in someone elses hair. I did not freak out about this, but asked my husband to call down and ask for an extra sheet and blanket. We were informed there wasnot a single extra blanket in the hotel snd he returned with a sheet.

While he wad gone, I found our toilet did not flush and was backed up. I had just taken medication for the procedure that would leave me needing a working toilet all evening....let alone a working toilet is generally important. We were informed that a plunger, which were going to use ourselves could not be found and my husband was sent back to the room.

He talked about going out and buying one himself, which seemed completely inappropriate. We checked about another room and were given a two double room. We then had to repack everything and move rooms.

this room also has a blanket that is strongly stained, but hopefully the toilet works.

we asked about some sort of rebate/discount, due to the issues and were told (understandably) that the girl at the front desk could not do that and we'd have to talk to management. So I am writing this here, before going to corporate.

My husband is now going back to the front desk as we have NO bath towels, just two washcloths and two hand towels.

I've truly never had SO many issues at a hotel and I even researched beforehand.

I feel that there should be some refund, due to all of the issues and due to those issues not getting the room type we reserved.

Thank you."

I am still at the hotel, but just sent this to them. I tried to send it choosing 'complaint'as the nature of the message and it would not go through. When I changed the nature of the message to 'other' it suddenly got through. I will see if I hear back.

"

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Malvern - Great Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize for your experience including the maintenance issues and the level of cleanliness in your room. In response to your feedback, I will meet with the staff to review our cleaning procedures and maintenance policies to ensure your experience is not repeated. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at, pgv2@extendedstay.com.

Again, thank you for the comments. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Great hotel, super staff and a good quiet location. Love having a fridge and the kitchen facilities and everything in the room was great. We were travelling with our dog and they were so welcoming of her as well!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laura S
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Malvern - Great Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

The staff and I appreciate your kind remarks. We’re so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hotel including our fully equipped kitchens and the service our staff provided. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We look forward to providing you with another comfortable stay in the future!

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I only give this three stars just because it is a lower quality hotel. But the staff are great and the room is quite clean. We were put in a handicap accessible room, which was fine. The shower is a lot bigger and no tub. They do need a place to put toiletries and the soap in the shower. Towels are small and a bit thin. We did book a queen bed but this was for sure a double. But we didn't complain as we were only there one night and it wasn't a big deal for us. They do offer "grab and go" breakfast which is packaged muffins and granola bars and fresh whole fruit plus coffee. We did not have it because it wasn't substantial enough for us so we ate at the Wegman store down the street. We had an event at PSU-Great Valley and it was the perfect location. We could have walked but we had a lot of stuff to transport so had to drive. There are a couple of restaurants across the street in a mini mall. Dunkin Donuts is a part of the corner gas station as well.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank katwave
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Malvern - Great Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed our clean rooms with fully equipped kitchens and our amenities such as our free grab-and-go breakfast. Again, thanks for the feedback. We look forward to providing you with another comfortable stay the next time you’re in town.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed for 3 nights on business. The staff were very nice and friendly. The hotel was very dirty and smelled heavily of cigarette smoke in all the common areas. The room was large and pretty comfortable but not clean. There were actual blood stains on the walls in my bathroom. Maid service costs extra, you must bring dirty towels downstairs to exchange for clean ones and they were out of incidental such as shampoo this week. I've stayed in worse but will not be back to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank DavidNovack
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malvern
Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Malvern - Swedesford Rd.
Sonesta ES Suites Malvern
Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia Great Valley
Holiday Inn Express Frazer - Malvern
Courtyard Philadelphia Great Valley/Malvern
The Desmond Hotel Malvern

Been to Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Malvern - Great Valley? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Malvern - Great Valley

Address: 300 Morehall Road, Malvern, PA 19355
Region: United States > Pennsylvania > Malvern
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Malvern
Price Range: £59 - £89 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Malvern - Great Valley 2.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Expedia, Extended Stay, Booking.com, Ebookers, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Malvern - Great Valley reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Extended Stay America Malvern