“Great space, exactly what I need.”

Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Malvern - Swedesford Rd.
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Malvern
Reviewed 12 August 2013

The staff is great. The rooms are clean, stylish and modern. The pool is stellar and the grab n go breakfast is just what I need. Jen at the front desk is always cheerful and friendly and remembers me every stay.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed 2 August 2013

I stayed at ESA due to reviews on TripAdvisor and really don't understand how the rating could have been as high as it was. I suspect the respondents are long-term "residents" who grow used to the conditions and amenities - and who experience good service. We were just on an overnighter. I don't mean to be insulting; perhaps my expectations were raised by TripAdvisor. The front desk attendant was very helpful to my hubby. I didn't have any contact. The appearance - even forgiving the upgrading that was taking place in the hallways on the first floor - is just not satisfactory to me. The elevator is scary. Two hallway lights on our floor - the second floor - were flickering. The cigarette smoke smell (perhaps from years of smoking?) on our smokefree floor was disturbing. The construction work in our room gave the impression of being unfinished. (Shims and unfinished wood showing, etc.) There was little surface space throughout but especially in the bathroom. It felt very cheap and shoddy. It was clean - but clean upon years of wear which made it feel grimy. The updating wasn't even throughout. I just wonder if ESA is going to take over a property and invest capital why they wouldn't "do it right."

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JannyBaby
Reviewed 25 July 2013

During the reservation process I was told that the property is recently renovated, however on arrival even though the staff is completely generous and helpful, I found the property to be below standards.

The carpets in the hall way were missing patches, the doors were noisy, beds make a cracking sound each time you turn sides, and the carpets were quite odorful in the room.

The bathrooms are I guess the smallest I have ever seen in my enitre travel life.

Unfortunately the property was overbooked (!) and they did not have any other room to offer(!) which I find a bit hard to digest looking at the quality of room that I was in.

Room Tip: Try Homewood suites, which is next doors and it is way too better than here.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel (an Extended Stay, not Homestead Studio) for 10 days during a work trip. For the discounted rate I scored on a bidding website, this hotel was a good deal, but it is nowhere near worth full price.

The public areas of this hotel are hot, stuffy, and uncomfortable. Either they have set the thermometers too high, or the A/C units aren't properly working.

My initial room had an A/C that didn't work and a smoke alarm that suddenly (and loudly) went off in the absence of any smoke. I had to move my many equipment bags and groceries to another room. Not exactly the best welcome experience.

I will say that the staff here is professional, helpful, and friendly. They quickly moved me into another room.

In the new room, one bedroom lamp didn't work, but when my neighbor hit the wall, the light came on. Subsequently, I've had to shake the fixture to stimulate the light.

The room, kitchen and bathroom are comfortable, but the cable channels are limited, the free - and even the paid -Internet and are very slow, and the bed comfort is mediocre. And if you like eating cereal in the morning, be prepared to eat from the tiniest bowls you've ever used.

Following are additional disappointments:
- The pool is small and stretches only 4.5 feet deep
- The small workout room includes only a bike and treadmill
- The breakfast consists of only whole fruit, packaged oatmeal, small granola bars, and coffee
- The laundry facilities include only two washing machines and two dryers. Both times I did laundry, I had to wait, and then there were folks waiting for me.
- Each wash load was $2 a pop, and then I had to fork over $2 more to use the dryer.
- Driving to the hotel lobby is confusing, as you have to turn right off the highway and loop all the way around the hotel to get to the lobby.

The hotel is located near a grocery store, a couple gas stations, and a strip mall area with a few restaurants.

If you find a discounted rate at another hotel, I would take it. If Extended Stay is the only affordable rate you can find, take it. But don't expect the best hotel experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Malvern - Swedesford Rd., responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Philip - I recently received a copy of your review of our hotel. Our company prides itself on providing excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your comments regarding my staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the unsatisfactory issues mentioned with the pool, fitness center, grab-and-go breakfast and on-site laundry. We strive to provide all our guests with a comfortable, “home away from home” experience. I am sorry we failed at that mission. We will take your comments and coach our team to provide better service in the future.

Thank you again for taking the time out of you busy schedule to review our property. We hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 27 March 2013

I travel thourghout the country and overseas and the stay here was very good overall. The staff is very helpful, considerate and friendly. Also they go out of there way to let you know what is around the area for sightseeing, shopping and eatinf establishments. For the price it's a great place to stay. My room was on the first floor and was not bothered by any outside noise.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Manager-TOH, Manager at Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Malvern - Swedesford Rd., responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2013

Charles I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such nice things about your experience at Extended Stay America Philadelphia - Malvern. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we'd love to see you here again.

Reviewed 27 March 2013

My stay started with a very nice and perky front desk girl named Jen. She was unfortunately the only good thing about this place as I soon found out. She checked me in and said she would be calling my room to make sure it was in order. I finished checking into my room, a queen non smoking suite on the second floor and went on my way.

As I walked to my room the first thing I noticed was the place looked dirty, actual dirt on the floors and a poster in the elevator looked like someone ran a key over it and marred the surface. The second thing I noticed was two different fluorescent bulbs in the hallway on the first floor were flickering. I figured no big deal, maybe it just happened. I went up to my floor and on the second floor no less then 6 fixtures had buzzing/dimming lights making the place look extremely run down and dingy. The hallway also smelled awful, mostly food cooking smells (it was dinner time and this did have suites with kitchens). I understand some smell but it was very strong like there was no ventilation in the hallway.

I got to my room and the first thing I noticed is the temperature was extremely hot. I checked the AC and it was set to 72 but it's placed in a little cubby by the bed so it only really conditions the space around there and not the actual room. I set it down to 66 hoping it would cool the rest of the room. I also noticed that all the clocks were a hour off so it appeared that no one had used the room for at least the last week (since DST change). I started to unpack and noticed spots all over the kitchen table area. I grabbed a wash towel, got some water, and cleaned the counter. Looks like someone missed cleaning up orange juice. No real biggie. Jen called my room to check in and I told her the room looked ok except for the orange juice that was sticky on the counter. She apologized and offered to come up and clean it. I told her don't worry about it and that I took care of it. She apologized again and asked if there was anything else she could do and I said no.

I then left to go to dinner and on my way out again Jen asked if she could go sanitize the counter while I was out and again I said no but thanks. I came back a hour or so later and decided to take a shower. The shower itself looked ok but there were multiple black hairs high on the surround and on the little "shelf" that the surround makes at top where it meets the wall. I then started to question if this room had been cleaned at all but it did have all new fresh towels so apparently it was cleaned just not well.

I started to get ready for bed and pulled the covers back to find what looked like drops of blood on the sheets. Now this wasn't "fresh" blood, it was faded and almost a orange color which told me these sheets had been washed (probably multiple times) but still...wouldn't you throw them out and get new sheets??? I ignored it because as I said it appears they had been washed.

I then went to grab a cup for water. I looked through the cabinets and could not find anything other then a single coffee cup and a couple dishes. Finally I looked in the dishwasher thinking maybe they had been cleaned and waiting. In it I found a full load of DIRTY dishes with food caked on it. I called the front desk and Jen answered. I told her what was going on and she apologized and sounded genuinely horrified. I said I just want a couple clean glasses. She ran up within a minute with three clean tumblers and some dish washing detergent. She also said even though I'm settled in she would be happy to move me to a new bigger room because of all the issues. I told her no...at least I know what to expect with this room. She offered again and again I refused. I threw the dish detergent in and ran the dish washer on the pot scrubber mode and went to bed.

The next morning before leaving the room I threw in a second detergent and wash them again just in case and left for the day. On the way out I grabbed a Quaker oatmeal bar form the "grab and go" (which is really not breakfast at all considering its snack bars and coffee only). I returned to the same room, same flickering lights, and same smell on the second floor.

I happily left on the third day and would never return to this hotel and based on my experience wouldn't stay at ANY "Extended Stay America".

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Philadelphia - Malvern. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your comments regarding Jen. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

Let me apologize again that your stay was not satisfactory and up to our standards. I hope you will allow us a second opportunity to exceed your expectations

Reviewed 23 March 2013

I stayed in a Queen Studio room that was small and a bit cramped.  They jammed a lot into a small space and if you are accustomed to a Homewood Suites or Residence Inn this room is definitely smaller. The bathroom was like a converted utility closet and the room heater/ac unit was so loud I finally turned it off. They have a pathetic grab and go breakfast consisting of prepackaged muffins, breakfast bars and coffee.  They put a microwave and toaster in the room to give you hope, but in the end there is nothing else to be found. On the positive side, the hotel is in a convenient location and the staff members were friendly and helpful. It was the lowest priced hotel in the area during my stay and okay for a one night visit.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Manager-TOH, Manager at Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Malvern - Swedesford Rd., responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Homestead Philadelphia - Malvern. Given our company's commitment to superior guest service, it was great to read about your positive experience with our staff. As we love to hear to the positive feedback your comments regarding the room setup, breakfast offerings, and air conditioner are just as important as it shows we have room to improve. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory. We hope you will allow us another opportunity on your future travels to exceed your expectations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Malvern
Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Malvern - Great Valley
Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia Great Valley
Sonesta ES Suites Malvern
Holiday Inn Express Frazer - Malvern
Courtyard Philadelphia Great Valley/Malvern
Best Western Plus The Inn at King of Prussia

Been to Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Malvern - Swedesford Rd.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Malvern - Swedesford Rd.

Address: 8 E Swedesford Rd, Malvern, PA 19355-1488 (Formerly MainStay Suites Great Valley)
Region: United States > Pennsylvania > Malvern
Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Wheelchair access
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Malvern
Price Range: £64 - £82 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Malvern - Swedesford Rd. 2.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Extended Stay, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Malvern - Swedesford Rd. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Homestead Studio Suites Malvern