“Very nice & Much Better”

The Desmond Hotel Malvern
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Malvern
North-East Pennsylvania
“Very nice & Much Better”
Reviewed 27 February 2011

We stayed here last September for a wedding and was not pleased in the least. Several bad experiences and a less-than-clean room. However I have to say that the manager of this place is a respectable person and contacted me offering multiple apologies. It was a very busy and crazy weekend with three weddings going on at one time. Every business has a bad day. He invited us back for a stay on the house at a time of our choosing and my wife and I used it this weekend for a night away. MUCH better than last September and very nice. Everything quiet and clean. Generally a very nice place. We'll come back.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Mike_Chain, General Manager at The Desmond Hotel Malvern, responded to this review, 28 September 2011
Thank you, I am very appreciative you gave us a second chance and glad you were pleased with your stay. Hope to see you again.

The Desmond Hotel and Conference Center

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Chester Springs
Reviewed 8 January 2011

This is a great hotel for business travelers. I was traveling for business and this hotel made it very easy for me to conduct my business. They have a great business center and a fast internet connection in the rooms. The staff was very friendly and was always happy to answer my questions. The restaurant (Hunt Room) at the Desmond was fantastic. I would also recommend stopping in the Fox and Hound Pub after a hard day to have a drink.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Ek26439
Thanks for the great review, we will look forward to your return.

Chester Springs, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 January 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Desmond, and everything was wonderful. We enjoyed a delicious dinner in the hunt room while listening to the peaceful music of the piano. The wait staff was courteous and attentive. Our rooms were spacious, clean, and comfortable. The next day our daughter came for breakfast with Santa and an amazing brunch buffet. All the foods in the buffet were hot and scrumptious. We truly enjoyed our stay, and will be back again and again!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank annerssju
Thanks for the great review. I am pleased you enjoyed the food and your room, we can't wait to have you return.

Hamburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Well if you look at the review below,I am the other person they where talking about! Yes we did have some very strange "MISHAPS". I went to the lobby to complain and explain the problem.The Front Desk Clerk was not really sure what to do.She offered to buy our family breakfast so of course we took it.When looking at the menu the prices seemed high even for a hotel but since it was free we where not complaining.It finally arrived about 1 hour later.With the children complaining the whole time we where waiting, to much of our surprise we were all very happy with it! My son "THE PANCAKE CONNOISSEUR" said they "where the best he ever had" I thought I made pretty good one's myself but The Desmond beat mine!
We where there for a wedding and my cousin "The bride" explored all of her options as any bride would do and chose "The Desmond "for its Elegant Atmosphere.It does have its charms.The lobby is gorgeous and its adjoining rooms are equally as beautiful!
So all in all after calling the Hotel General Manager when we arrived home he was quick to rectify the situation.Which he did so with a returning night's stay.As everyone deserves a second chance we are planning to go back! I will write another review after we get back from our 2nd trip!
One more thing. My cousin chose to also have the rehearsal dinner there on the back patio and everybody said the food and patio was breathtaking!
Not making light of our "mishap" but there where to our understanding about 8 wedding parties staying there so things can get confusing and messy! I hope our next trip will be a better one.The pool was just the right temperature and for golfer's there is a little putting green right outside your room.Which would be great practice for all the great courses in the area. The General Manager was VERY nice and apologetic.So we thank him for his prompt response to our complaints.I would mention his name but not sure if allowed to.. I think they deserve a chance to make your stay a good one!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Galena, Maryland
Reviewed 8 September 2010

I recently attended a wedding at the Desmond and, being from out of town, had no idea what to expect. I was with a large group of relatives and upon check-in, the staff sprang into action. Our bags were handled, we were given guides to the area, and made to feel immediately welcome. I can't say enough about the atmosphere of this unique building. It is so beautifully decorated! The bar has a "Cheers" feeling to it, and the restaurant is extremely classy. The rooms were impeccably clean and my request for more towels was granted instantly.
That night was my niece's wedding, and I can honestly say I have never had a better time. The food was out of this world and during the cocktail hour everywhere we turned there was something different being served by plenty of capable staff. Our meals were hot and supremely delicious, and the staff extremely accomodating to whatever we needed. My sister (bride's mother) said she has had a wonderful experience dealing with everyone at the Desmond - from the catering sales staff to the wedding coordinator all the way down to the servers at the rehearsal dinner the night before.
When we checked out, the staff helped us (and there were a LOT of us) to our vehicles and helped arrange for some of us to receive transportation to the airport. All of this was offered to us without us even asking. The General Manager happened to be present at the front desk and took the time to have a personal discussion with us, and made sure everything had met our expectations. I told him they were far exceeded! We got the feeling all that is routinely part of the excellent customer service the Desmond provides.
My family had such a terrific experience at the Desmond and with the staff that we made a decision then and there to hold as many future functions at that facility as we can. If I could give it more than 5 stars I definitely would! ************************************

• Stayed August 2010
Thank you for the great review. I am pleased you enjoyed our hotel, hope to see you again soon.

Providence RI
Reviewed 29 July 2010

I am a business traveler and travel weekly. I made a reservation at this hotel because the hotel I normally use in this area was full and I recognized the brand from the hotel in Albany NY of the same name.

Lesson 1. Quality doesn't come from the name.

I checked in. The lamps were all unplugged. I thought that was odd. I tried to connect to the wireless internet but it didn't work. I called the front desk but the phone kept cutting out. I ended up walking downstairs to the front desk where I was advised that the wireless internet doesn't work in the guest rooms and there was a cable in the desk drawer.

Lesson 2. The customer is always wrong.

I went back to my room. There was no cable in the desk drawer. I tried calling the front desk but no one answered. I walked back downstairs. There I was told by a very annoyed front desk person that she didn't answer the phone because she was busy. She gave me a cable, told me to plug it into the port in the desk.

Lesson 3. Don't make the hired help angry.

I went back to my room, plugged in the cable where instructed. No internet. I tried calling downstairs again, no answer.

Lesson 4. Once they've checked in you don't have to talk to them anymore.

I repacked my suitcase and briefcase, grabbed the cable and went back downstairs to the front desk. I asked for a room with a working internet connection. The woman gave me another room. I took the cable back with me "just in case".

Lesson 5. Never say you're sorry.

In my new room I plugged in the cable and it worked. Once again all the lamps were unplugged. I figured it was some kind of Desmond joke. I worked, went out to eat, came back, went to bed. I was awakened at 5:05 am by the sound of large carts of things rattling down the hallway. SInce I was up anyway, I decided to just get ready and leave. As it turned out, the bathroom was outfitted with complimentary body lotion and shampoo. Sadly, both were opened and half used. It made me feel creepy. I checked out on the tv, stopped at the front desk to get a receipt and left.

Lesson 6. Never say thank you or goodbye.

I wrote a note via email to the general manager of the hotel. I thought he would appreciate the opportunity to improve the service. I got back a form letter telling me how much they enjoyed having me as a guest and if any one employee in particular offered great service would I like to identify that employee for recognition. Um. No.

Lesson 7. Don't waste your time when they don't care.

I ch

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank mhubbard124
Fulton, New York
Reviewed 27 April 2010

Traveled with my husband to a family wedding. The hotel is located in a business park, but only about 5 minutes from restaurants. Rooms are traditional in style, probably could use an update, but clean and comfortable. The staff accommodated us with our request to have connecting rooms, which was nice. All of the desk staff were friendly and helpful in located directions to restaurants and other attractions in the area. There is a pub that is open in the lobby, and what looked like a patio area for warmer weather. A nice location.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malvern
Sonesta ES Suites Malvern
Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia Great Valley
Courtyard Philadelphia Great Valley/Malvern
Sheraton Great Valley Hotel
Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Malvern - Great Valley
Hampton Inn Philadelphia/Great Valley/Malvern

Been to The Desmond Hotel Malvern? Share your experiences!