“Great Location and area” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn Manheim

Hampton Inn Manheim
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Manheim
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Great Location and area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

The hotel was good . Check in was a little slow because the customer in front of me had an issue. The room was fine , and they had a home made mint tea, and a lemonade mix awaiting. Fitness center was average. They had a nice outdoor eating/ sitting area. Also had a little walking area with a pond in the middle. Breakfase was ok, nothing special. A lot of great places to eat close by. Most rate very well on tripadvisor. Quentin tavern was awesome...

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank IsupportRonPaul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights over the weekend while attending the PA Renn Faire's Celtic Fling. The room we had on the first floor was spacious, modern, and clean. I wasn't expecting much for a hotel off the highway and near a fairground but I was so happily surprised!

Pros:
-Great breakfast assortment that varied daily
-Super friendly staff
-Amazing grounds with ducks, a pond, a pool, and a bbq area
-Fabulous location for Renn Fest and other attractions as well as close to a highway
-Rooms and lobby were clean, modern, and spacious

Negs:
-No mini-bar or fridge in room
-Not easy to walk to any other eating or drinking establishments as there are no sidewalks in area (must drive)

Room Tip: Would give a better value grade if they had a restaurant on-site and/or had a mini-fridge in the roo...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rebecca T
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

We arrived at the hotel at 6:30 to check in so we could attend an event at 7:00 across the street. We were advised that the hotel was very busy and they were behind cleaning rooms. I was told by an initially friendly desk clerk that they were cleaning our room now and they had to inspect it. She advised it would be approximately 2 minutes and we could go to our room. We waited 10 minutes when I asked again, she now became not so friendly, grabbed her walkie talkie and stormed behind the wall and called someone to ask if our room was ready yet. She came out and told us it would be another 5 minutes. By now it is 6:45 and we still can't check in. I asked again 5 minutes later, she gave us room keys and stated it should be ready by the time we get there. We were 5 minutes late for our show. Check in is 3:00 pm I am glad we waited until 6:30 to arrive or we would of had a very long wait. Normally it is a very pleasnt place to stay, we stay there 5 - 6 times a year. Hopefully stays in the future will be better.

• Stayed May 2011
5 Thank mtebersole
Philadelphia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

With the start of the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire's season upon us, I thought it time to stop procrastinating and post my review of occurrences at this hotel last year which make it one to be AVOIDED pending major changes in management. Since, for years, I've recommended this hotel to many of my friends, it's now time to rescind that recommendation and to warn them away!!

For years, this has been my favorite hotel during events at the PA Renaissance Faire, across the street. Several events that occurred there last year though, have changed that opinion and I want to pass along the circumstances to others so they are forewarned. The Hampton Inn – Manheim is a good hotel with BAD MANAGEMENT and should be avoided until major changes are made to management and ownership. Here are the details:

We've, regularly stayed at Hampton Inn – Manheim every weekend for the past few years during Faire season and for occasional visits during other Faire events: Flavorfest and Celtic Fling. We know the place well and they know us. Until this past season, I considered them “friends”. All told, for each year, we booked 14-15 weekends a year in advance. Some of those weekend bookings ran from Fri to Mon, but at the very least, they included EVERY Sat night for 3 months of every year.

Last year, on the weekend of Flavorfest, May27, I was physically attacked, grabbed by the neck and dragged to the floor in the alcove of the Hampton Inn – Manheim. Other guests staying at the hotel for Flavorfest came to my rescue, literally standing on the maniac until Police arrived. Thankfully, except for a bloody shirt, a sore shoulder and scratched arm, I was unharmed. I never considered Hampton Inn-Manheim to be liable but I mention it now because it DID lead off the events of the year and, as a result, made me memorable to everyone working at the hotel that had the chance to review the security tapes, which were later entered into evidence against the attacker.

Our next visit to the Hampton Inn-Manheim marked the start of the Renaissance Faire season, August 13, 2011, at which time the staff working the front desk warmly welcomed me “home”. There was no need to provide my name, they knew me! At that time, I told them of an event that had occurred the month prior where I had my identity stolen when someone fraudulently used my Discover Card, which, as a result, immediately, was canceled and replaced. I provided the Desk Clerks with the new number stressing I did not wish to have my reservations canceled because they had the wrong/old credit card on file. I was assured nothing like that would happen, they made note and promised to take care of everything. So it seemed until we attempted to check in on the night of September 17, 2011, when we were informed we “had no reservation”!! Totally taken aback I assured the desk clerk, I most certainly DID and told him to look again. He repeated, “We had no reservation”.

Now getting more than slightly annoyed, I told him that was impossible, we have reservations for every week during the Faire season, made almost a year in advance. I told him to phone his manager. Without a word, he disappeared into the back room, returning about 15 minutes later stating, “My card had been rejected and they had canceled my room”. Puzzled, I phoned Discover card to be told that nobody had inquired about the status of my card that night. Discover agreed to speak to the desk clerk to clear up any problem but he REFUSED to speak with them, now sneering at me “THERE IS NO AVAILABLE SPACE AT THE HOTEL!” “THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO, YOUR CARD WAS REFUSED, THE RESERVATION CANCELLED!” Upon further investigation, and without assistance or input from the Hampton-Manheim, it turned out, over a month into my annual reservation, all of which were without problems with my credit card, they, suddenly, had decided to run my OLD STOLEN CARD, naturally finding it invalid and canceled my reservation. If there were to be any problems with my card, it would have presented itself the FIRST WEEK of the reservation, not 5 weeks later! Something else was going on……

Standing at the desk, I noted a stack of “agreements” to be signed by guests attending a large wedding that day. It did not take a genius to realize what had happened: they had overbooked the hotel to accommodate a wedding party, and created reasons to CANCEL the reservations of other guests. They stranded me in the middle of the night without a room in which to stay in order to accommodate a group with which they'd make more money!!

Sunday, after we returned home, I posted of the event on Hampton’s Facebook page, which, promptly gained the attention of Hampton’s corporate people who quickly responded, assuring me the manager of the property would be in contact shortly. She was not! It took two more days, finally, for her to phone me! When she did, it was not to apologize! Rather it was to express her displeasure that I had the nerve to write of the event on Facebook. It seems, such a posting “ruined the reputation of her hotel”! Well, isn’t that a shame!! You screw me, strand me with no good reason and you don’t like it when I tell people? HOW DARE YOU!!! DO YOUR JOB NEXT TIME!!!

She then asked, “What would make this go away?” I responded I do not know, it will take some time, I am quite angry. At the very least, I noted that I felt she owed me a free night. Reluctantly she agreed. However, with a condition attached: the posting I had made to Facebook detailing of the event must be deleted. Failure to do so, not only would jeopardize my “free night” (big deal), but she threatened to ‘Cancel all of my remaining reservations for the season”. Knowing that it was next to impossible for me to book a replacement hotel that late in the season, She threatened to STRAND ME AGAIN! Reluctantly, I agreed and removed the wall posting.

The following Sat morning, we stopped at the Hampton Inn-Manheim to see if we could check in before heading over to Faire. At the very least, if no room was yet vacant, to give them my CREDIT CARD to be swiped so as to avoid any re-occurrence of the events of the previous week. The desk clerks acknowledged they were aware of the circumstances of the previous week, offered their sympathy and assured me there would be no repeat.

At this point, I should interject a little point about my personal situation: I am a stage 4 cancer survivor, having lost a lung to Metastatic Melanoma. My health, despite a horrible prognoses, is excellent, but to that end, there are certain precautions I try to take to maintain it that way. Among them is that I do my best to anticipate and avoid any potential situation that causes undo stress. (Such as that which occurred the week before.). To this end, I felt a need to have my credit card swiped and on record early on rather than risk, again, being stranded in the middle of the night.

So, it was to my great surprise when the following week, I received an email from Hampton Inn-Manheim’s manager, Heidi [--], AGAIN, threatening me with cancellation! It seems, according to her, my mentioning the events of the preceding week was upsetting to her staff. In the future, any mention would lead to my being “un-invited to stay at that hotel”! For the balance of the season, I kept my mouth shut, not saying more to the staff, who previously, I had considered friends, than necessary in order to check in. Biding my time because now, I knew people were going to know what was going on!

It’s one thing to overbook a hotel, it happens. IT is another, however, to threaten guests, which IS the management style of this hotel under its current management!!

The final weekend of Faire, October 22, 2011 (The planned final weekend the following week was canceled due to a freak snowstorm.); we stayed over sat and sun nights. Sunday morning, we found the toilet clogged. filled with filth. It drained, but not well, and left a not so pretty residue over the bowl. Surely, the house cleaner would see the problem when she cleaned the bathroom that morning. She didn't’! We returned Sunday night to find the clog still there, the toilet un cleaned and now unable to flush at all. Reluctantly, knowing I had one more week to bite my tongue, I approached the desk clerk to inform him of the problem and was promised a plunger. None was located! Sunday and Monday morning, we were forced to use the public toilet in order to take care of business!

I re posted of the situation to Facebook’s wall, shortly after we got home. After the second threat by the manager, I never planned to use the free night: I’d never stay there again under the current management!!

My strongest recommendation to anyone considering a stay at the Hampton Inn-Manheim? Do not do it!!! Someday, this hotel will return to its previous level of quality. However, until the management changes, it is a property I would strongly suggest avoiding completely! I am sure there are underlying issues that caused management to risk alienating their loyal customers. None of them speaks well for the future of the facility. Things will change, and eventually this hotel will return to its previous levels of guest satisfaction and treatment. However, until they do, book elsewhere!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
32 Thank Mel L
St. Johnsbury, VT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

We stayed for 5 nights while we looked for a new home in the area. This location was central for us to look at the area and to visit family. The staff at the desk and a breakfast couldn't be more helpful and welcoming. We were able to come and go throughout the day. The beds and the pillows were comfortable; we slept better than we have in months.

We were very impressed by the staff member who managed the breakfast bar. There were a number of young children on Easter morning, and she around the room with crayons and coloring book pages to keep them entertained. Kudos to her! As others have said, nothing ever ran out during breakfast. They did run out of cookies one evening............

Room Tip: We were at the end of a hall on the third floor facing the PA Turnpike - never heard a thing!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank QBConsultants
Reston, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

Yes, Hampton Inns are all alike. But that's the point, isn't it? You know exactly what you're going to get before you arrive.

This one is only a few years old and seems to be well maintained, although the beds were starting to show the wear. The free breakfast was decent -- the staff member who managed the breakfast bar was on her toes both days. Nothing ever ran out and she was sure to quickly wipe up the spills made by little kids.

The hotel is located right next to the Pennsylvania Turnpike between Harrisburg and Philadelphia. If you're traveling through and just need a good nights sleep, this would be a good choice compared with something in Philly, which would likely be more expensive. About 30 mins west on the Turnpike is the remodeled "Lawn Service Center" -- they have a 24 hour Starbucks.

Room Tip: You can hear conversation in the hallways, so be sure to ask for a room at the very end of the hall...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Trav3lm0re
Dallas, Pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

I usually stay in Hershey but this hotel had an 89.00 rate AAA on Super Bowl Sunday. It was immaculate and the staff was friendly and helpful. The beds and shower are of excellent quality.i would recommend it highly for the business and casual traveler alike. The breakfast is excellent as well.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Bruce L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manheim
Hampton Inn & Suites Mount Joy / Lancaster West
Warehouse Hotel
#2 of 7 in Manheim
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lebanon
Eden Resort & Suites, BW Premier Collection

Been to Hampton Inn Manheim? Share your experiences!