“Horrible and Smelled”

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Manheim
Altoona
“Horrible and Smelled”
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We wanted one room for one night. The room smelled awful, was dirty, we doubted if the sheets were changed from the last guest, the toilet leaked, there was a mini refrigerator in the room but the door couldn't close on it due to a massive ice buildup. Yuck, never again. Hotwire should take this dump off of their site.

Room Tip: A tip to choose a good room? Try a different hotel/motel.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sharon H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Pittsburgh, pa
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I have stayed there in the past so I don't know about bed bugs. I found it basic and in a very pretty location. It's not a resort or a spa. It's just a place with miss matched furniture but I found it clean and comfortable. I don't know what the others expected. It's just a mom and pop operation just trying to make a living.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the highway, less noise.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pittsburgh_paJudy
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 September 2012

One word DISGUSTING! To top it off, I'm now on antibiotics for 14 days because of 7 bed bugs on my arm that became hot, swollen and INFECTED!!!!! I would not wish this hotel on my worst enemy! Filthy dirty bathrooms and the floor was never cleaned nor the sheets changed and we were there for 5 nights!

Room Tip: dont go here
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Manheim hotels

lancaster
Reviewed 3 July 2012

My husband & I wanted an overnite get away so I called & booked a room, according to the site it looked very nice & what we were looking for.
When we got there it didn't look as nice but still ok lawn needed to be cut. Here is where everything goes down hill.
I paid we were getting a king size bed, when I was given the key I was told our room # is 146 I asked where it is she said out behind the office we went to find our room. Once you get past the front of the motel it is sooooooo nasty & junkie looking. Our room was in a row of 3 others where people live so there was laundry hanging out grills on the side walk junk everywhere. In our room we had a dresser that was no good drawers were missing, the walls were marked up it had paint coming off the walls the lights on the walls were not even up right . The refridge was not pluged up so it was dirty inside, the tv had 1 remote & needed 2, the bathroom had 1 towel & no tub only a small shower, I could see the room was not cleaned because there was a drinking straw in the corner in the bathroom hair on the toilet & on & in the sink.
In the morning I woke up sooooooooo conjested & found out why real fast I have a allergy to dogs & they had put us in a room that was used to guest with pets.
I have taken pictures of this room I am going to try & get someone to do something about this motel it is nothing BUT lies.
It being summer you would think the pool would be up & ready for the guest.

Room Tip: don't stay a this motel
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Terrberr612
Upperco, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 8 May 2012

The block of rooms we stayed in (107, 108, 109) WAS IN A PART OF THE HOTEL THAT WAS CONDEMNED BY THE LOCAL TOWNSHIP!!! We checked in April 26, and were evacuated on April 28. We were never notified of this, even though we left our cell phone numbers on our check-in forms. Part of our traveling party returned to the hotel late on April 28, and found the condemnation notices on the doors of the rooms. We stayed in the exact same rooms in 2007 & 2008, and the rooms were in working order and clean; during this stay, however, there was a moldy smell in all three rooms, the toilets would not flush completely, and the sinks would not drain properly. Additionally, none of the bathrooms were clean, the shower head was almost completely separated from the wall in one of the rooms, and a bed in one of our rooms had a dirty sock tucked under the top sheet, and the sheets of that bed were noticeably not recently laundered. The office staff was very nice, but the owner of the hotel told the township that he offered us rooms to move into at the hotel, but we were not given that option and had to pack our stuff and find other accommodations.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Tha_Dodd
Natrona Heights, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 28 October 2011

We're a traveling act that played at the PA Ren Faire this year and on top of the BED BUGS the rooms terrible smelling, moldy in the bathroom, water damaged and poorly cleaned.

If you value your blood, DON'T EVER STAY HERE. We had BED BUGS and even after showing the staff one of our party's arm that was clearly bitten at least 30 times from hand to shoulder they wouldn't even move us into another room after we calmly asked. They had at least two more available but the owner wouldn't make it right. We checked out before even laying our heads down and went to a motel about 10 minutes away that actually values their customers.

These clowns wouldn't even refund the money because they said they "Couldn't find evidence of bedbugs in the room". BS!! I'm sure they found it and just didn't want to give us our money back.

On a side note, the young man at the desk was very nice and tried to help us but the owner had absolutely no desire to make things right.

Bottom line: There are plenty of other hotels within a 10 mile radius that value the state of their hotel and appreciate your business that are within 10 bucks of the price of the Penns Woods.This place should be condemned.

Room Tip: Spend 10 bucks more and get a nicer place!!!!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank RisingRegina
Kewaunee, Wi
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Okay... If you are wondering if all these posts are correct and accuratly capture the hotel...let me tell yoy...YES...This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. We pre-paid on-line and the 55.00 $ nightly rate that was reported to be 1/2 price because you are getting a deal.....was a joke...The big sign in front of the place says 35.00 nightly so we paid more than the average person coming off the street. We could not cancel our stay because if was pre-paid and we ended up leaving a day early...GROSS......
They need to really shape up there act.....Never again...would not reccomend at all!!

Room Tip: Don't bother...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jan L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manheim
Comfort Inn & Suites Manheim - Lebanon
Eden Resort and Suites, BW Premier Collection
Lancaster Inn & Suites
Lancaster Inn & Suites
#5 of 7 in Manheim

Been to Penns Woods Inn Manheim? Share your experiences!