“The kids absolutely love it! Staying again this year!”

Bucktail Camping Resort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mansfield
Bucktail Camping Resort
Corning, New York
“The kids absolutely love it! Staying again this year!”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We have been camping here for the past few years, and the kids absolutely love it. Every weekend has a theme (see their website) and our kids are at the right age to fully enjoy the events. All winter long, it is all that they talk about. "When are we going to Bucktail?!"

Sure, it's not a fancy place. The roads are all dirt and the sites are gravel. I always clean my truck before taking the rig out on a trip, but it will be covered in dust by the time you leave. Most of the sites are not level, and be sure you bring an extra long sewer hose, water hose, and power cord. The rides are older, but every single one of them has a current inspection sticker from the state of PA. The rides don't run very long or very often, but they have the schedule on a board every morning in front of the arcade letting you know what will be running and at what time. When the arcade game takes your quarter and doesn't work, just let the staff know (there is always someone at the arcade desk) and they will give you a quarter back. I personally enjoy the way the campground is set up and the older "rustic" setting. There is plenty of shade all around the majority of the sites.

We have visited the campground tens of times over the past few years and only had one bad experience. It had rained and there was flooding, and many of their sites turned into complete mud. My fifth wheel sank up to its axles in mud. We didn't let it get to us though. We are tough campers! We stayed the whole weekend and built a sidewalk out of cardboard from the door to the road! Since then, all of those sites have been built up very high with gravel, and I have not seen it happen to anyone since. Obviously there was nothing they could do for us that day (besides getting us more cardboard!), but they did fix the problem so it won't happen to anyone else in the future. Then, during a different visit, a severe storm rolled through and broke one of my slide toppers. I went down to the office to ask if someone had a ladder so I could reach and she told me someone would be right up. A maintenance man (same one I see every year!) came right up (seriously, less than 5 minutes) and not only let me use his ladder, but got right up there with me with his tools and helped me make the repairs. It was greatly appreciated!

Even the park owner walks around the campground speaking with people and helping with the events. She drives the Jeep Grand Cherokee you see all around the campground and parked near the pavilion. It would appear that she enjoys seeing the kids happy. Just about everything at this place is included in the price. All the events, projects, rides (train, carousel, sky tower (which was new in 2013), Fire truck or hay wagon), mini golf (both courses) - all free. I haven't seen that at any other campground. The other campers that visit here are also very friendly in my experience. I usually end up making friends with our neighbors before we go. Sometimes you get a group of kids or teens that are picking on the other kids, but if you just say something to them about it, they disperse and go somewhere else. Nothing major. Also, it can be noted that the pool was new in 2012, and has been very clean (but very cold!) every time we have been there.

If you have a golf cart, be sure to bring it to this one! They do golf cart poker and other events, plus if you know all the areas (from the North Pole down to Bucky's fishing hole and over to the train) it can be quite a bit of walking. We also enjoy the hiking trail that seems to go up to the middle of nowhere. Can't take the golf cart on that trail - actually have to hike. The fishing hole is stocked with (small) fish.

In summary, this is one of our favorite campsites. In part, because it is somewhat-near to our house, but also because of the friendly, rustic atmosphere that they have created. I would not recommend the campground to couples without children, as everything is geared toward the kids. Even mid-teens would probably be too old to fully appreciate the park (which is why they seem to get into trouble). There is always something going on and things for our kids to do. We have already booked several trips there for 2014!

Side notes in response to some of the other reviews:
- I've run both of my air conditioners every year (or the electric fireplace during Halloween III) and never had a problem or been told it was against the rules.
- I will confirm that people do smoke around the campground. There is no smoking in the main pavilion, restrooms, or the arcade. They should not be carrying alcohol outside of their sites, and the staff will ask them to return to their sites when it becomes an issue or someone points it out.
- I see something new every year - pool in 2012, sky tower in 2013. I see near the main entrance that there are some other amusement park style rides that I would imagine they will install at some point. The staff is hinting toward numerous rides being installed down by the train entrance in the future.
- I agree with "Jennifer" - "Wendy the Witch" can be a bit much. She helps with the events but is very controlling with lots of rules and LOVES the mic. The kids can't stand around and wait for the fun to start. Let's just get to it already! She also made us walk back to the pavilion just to walk back down to the store for the ice cream raid. Then we were in line for that and had to move back six feet because we were too close to the door I guess. Hey, I'm just there to have a good time so I just go with it. The kids still enjoyed the ice cream! The Halloween festivities are great with plenty to do, but it does give you that "run down" vibe as many of the rides are closed or only run once in a day or weekend. The leaves are all off the trees, it's cold outside. Just in general, it feels run down. The impending doom of winter might have something to do with that.
- Quiet time starts at 10 or 11 at night. We don't stay in a tent, but we are usually up until about that time and I've never been kept up because of loud neighbors.
- Teens do get in the ball pit. I ask them to leave so my kids (2 and 5) can play and they do. The same group of teens are also the ones that break the animals on the train ride. The staff fix them back up all the time, but the teens keep breaking and/or stealing them. It happens. The staff will get involved with unruly teenagers if need be. They make regular walks down through the ball pit and buck-y-ball area. Give the office a call or stop by and they will send someone up there right away.
- Ask Mr. Cooper (the engineer) anything about the trains! He will gladly answer! His train rides are my kid's favorite part! They love his jokes!
- Their wireless internet is terrible. Unusable during bigger weekends or when the weather is bad. There is full bars of Verizon 4G service available, and we just use that instead.
- People (kids especially) will cut through your site to get to the playgrounds. They just do. It would be a good idea for the staff to set up designated paths, possibly roped off, so they will not cut through the sites. I don't really blame the kids though. It's either walk through my site or all the way down and around the other side. Some ropes and stakes could fix this minor issue though. In my opinion, it's not a huge deal, but some people get very upset if someone disrespects them by walking through their site. To each his own. I find that if you spread out your chairs and table in such a way that it looks like you're using all of the available space, they will cut through your neighbor's site instead. We just make it a game!

I hope you will consider what I have shared here and will give Bucktail a try. Don't go there expecting a five-star resort and amusement park with paved roads and rollercoasters. Instead, expect a relaxing stay in an old-fashioned, friendly, family owned campground. Let the kids have a great time, tiring themselves out on the playground, enjoying all the events, projects, and rides, and creating rivers and sandcastles in the gigantic sand pit. Your vacation is what you make of it! Just relax and let it happen!

6 Thank Chris L

Couples
Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed over Labor Day weekend & it was awful. The people across from us were loud obnoxious drunks (as were a majority of other campers). I went to the office after my 2nd sleepless night to complain about them & the staff assured me they would talk to them (obviously not because the 3rd night was the worst). People just walked through our site to get to the bathroom, playground & pool (however this is the campgrounds fault as there are no pathways) showing no respect for our space. We saw many young children running around completely unattended especially in the pool. I will not be returning to this campground anytime in the near future if at all. The amount of money per night is ridiculous compared to the level of this campground.

2 Thank pamom0208
Wayland, New York, United States
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We've been going for the Halloween festivities for years and years. Overall fun for the kids, but it has gone downhill!. For $66/night, you would think they would put some money back into the campground to fix things- like the zip line which is duct taped with a big steel rod sticking out that could easily poke someones eye out; Or fix some of the arcade games as half of them are broken; or even put some money back into making new things!
This campground does offer many fun activities for the kids, when they're actually working/running that is. when we first started going there, the carousel and the train ran almost all day long. Now, they only run for 1/2 hr, once, maybe twice a day- and at the same time!
After the pumpkin hunt, staff should just let the kids immediately go and pick out a pumpkin to carve, instead of waiting 1/2 hr for the rest of the kids to come out of the woods- there's enough pumpkins for everyone afterall! And don't yell at us for taking leftover pumpkins, WE PAY $66/ NIGHT, and you have 100 left over- they should be for the taking. Also- Wendy the witch is a little bit uptight, like making us walk back from the ice cream freezer just to line up behind her so we can be "walked down" to the ice cream raid.
We will not be returning next year- hopefully you take this review- and many others into consideration and make your campground as much fun as it used to be!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Elmira, New York, United States
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My children (2 girls) have been begging and pleading to go here all summer. We just bought a 2010 pop up camper last spring, (18 mpg makes for nice travel!!!).
Their advertising is misleading. It is NOT a family friendly place, dirty, smokers and cigarette butts all over, drunken men and women hooting and howling from late afternoon to the early morning hours.
Our children were called all kinds of names by a few children there because we were in a pop up camper, NOT a mobile home. The irony of THAT was, all the children got along fine, but other kids were called back to their sites and told not to associate with our girls, that our family was "scum", poor, dirty..... on and on. Our girls were not allowed out of our sight to enjoy the park because every time they did, this group of kids harrassed and badgered them. We complained 3 times to no avail, just got the "we'll see what we can do" thing.
So sad it is that you leave your neighborhood, and city to get away from this type of behavior, only to find it at a place like this too.
When one of the children stole from our daughter I confronted management <kids> and was told if we didn't like it, to leave, and if we caused any more trouble, they were going to throw us out. I would not recommend this sight to anyone at all, except perhaps the state inspectors!
Pathetic excuse of a campground!!!

John Edmister
Elmira, N.Y.

3 Thank John E
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

We loved bucktail. There is so much for the kids to do they are going all day. The playgrounds are amazing and fun for all ages.the activities are inclued for free which is nice. And the pool is nice aswell. We will be back for years to come.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank j71179
Mansfield, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Over all tons of fun! Wish they had the rides opened more, hard for a three year old to wait,also a little more staff on the playgrounds. Teenage kids very nasty to the little ones, using bad words.(which by the way my 3 year old grandson told them not to say) and people not watching their little ones,little boy laying in the middle of road when we were driving up to our cabin,WOW, where was mommy! But with all that the cabins were great, nice and clean,Dance party real fun, but again teenager not acting very NICE.But we are already planning for next year, BUCKTAIL ROCKS

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Norma W
Seneca Falls, New York, United States
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stayed Aug 1-4, 2013 on site #84. We had a great time. The train, tower slide and carousel were so much fun as was the old fashioned fire truck ride on Saturday. Our son has a boot on his leg from having it broken and everyone was very helpful and accommodating for him. Mini golf is a nice course. Our boys age 10 and 7 loved it. The zip line was fun, ball house and Bucky Ball were also fun, though balls need some inflating. Great pirate ship and castle. The batting cages need improvement along with the pedal train near inner loop playground. The pool needs a solar cover....very cold. The sites are tight but we didn't find ours to be as tight as some of them there. We were supposed to be on site #44 and we called a week before and changed after looking on Bing maps. So glad we did. Other reviews have said it is dirty with trash all over- we did NOT find this. All staff were friendly and helpful, though some smoking while working which is inappropriate we feel. They do need some stone on the main drive and in front of where our site was as the dust was very bad when vehicles drove by. There also should be a staff member driving around after quiet hours have started to quiet people- teens- down at night. We did witness a staff member sternly speaking to a few in the store as they were summoned to the office for complaints were apparently put in. That was good to witness. Overall we had a very good experience and there is so much to do we did not have a lot of down time except on Sunday after the rides were done. We will be returning next year so our one son can experience all Bucktail has to offer when he can walk without a boot and get on everything. We recommend bringing your family here if you have small children.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Amy O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mansfield
Rough Cut Lodge
Rough Cut Lodge
#1 of 1 in Gaines
Hampton Inn & Suites Mansfield
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Mansfield
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#3 of 5 in Mansfield

Been to Bucktail Camping Resort? Share your experiences!