“10 years of visits & my daughter still loves it”
Review of Olde Fogie Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Marietta
Olde Fogie Farm
East Coast USA
“10 years of visits & my daughter still loves it”
Reviewed 1 February 2008

First off, don't be thrown by the name - the owners surname is "Fogie," so their choice of name for the B&B is a good introduction to their lovely sense of humor.

Secondly, I hope you can see by the many 5/5 ratings that have been posted since that one poor rating that you will have a great time at the Fogie's IF you've done your homework and read the website (e.g., some rooms come with breakfast, some don't). My daughter and I have been annual visitors to the Fogie's for 10 (yes!) years and even tho she's 12 now, she can't wait for our annual spring weekend with the folks she considers to be her 3rd set of grandparents.

Now, full disclosure: there is no room service or maid service here - please stay elsewhere if that's what you like. What IS here is a wonderful chance for kids to see farm animals on a FARM. Contrary to that one review, my daughter was never denied the chance to try whatever she wanted to try, even when she was very young: collect the eggs, feed the chickens & the calf, milk the goat, brush the potbelly pig, etc. On the other hand, she is a well-mannered child & I kept an eye on her when she was little - unlike some of the kids I've seen at the farm, whose parents make cell phone calls while their offspring are tossing eggs, pulling the goat's ears, throwing sticks at the llamas & poking the pig in the nose. If the Fogies ever restrict a child's activities, my guess is it's in the interest of keeping their animals safe from that particular child (& BTW, the animals always look well-cared for to me).

My grandparents had a farm when I was little (it's a housing development now), and the Fogie Farm gives my daughter a chance to experience something that is disappearing in our country: an un-homogenized, all-natural view of farm life, complete with noisy roosters and barnyard smells, but also complete with born-yesterday lambs, robins hatching within view of our window, an adorable playhouse,a "swimming hole," and a big, warm farm kitchen.

We were afraid the Fogies were going to retire a few years back - thank goodness they didn't. God bless 'em for continuing to put up with the general public!

P.S. Having tried every room in the place, our favorite is the Hayloft. Be warned, it's up 3 flights of outdoor stairs, but has a porch and a lovely view of the farm. Also has a fully-equipped ktichen & a big clawfoot tub in the bath (no shower). The Chicken Coop is much more compact but adorable & has a shower (no tub).

Stayed May 2007
1 Thank Delamom

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Morristown NJ
Reviewed 15 January 2008

My family spent three days, two nights at Olde Fogie Farm this summer. We loved it. Living in the suburbs, my kids hadn't had much of a chance to really experience farm life. Here, they got to milk the goats, gather eggs, etc., and swim in the pond. My son was so delighted that I saw him skip across the yard.

I can't say enough about Biz and Tom, the owners. When we arrived, they welcomed us like we had known them for years. They genuinely care about whether you are having a good time, and Biz will cook you a tremendous breakfast while they tell you stories of their life in the area. Our room (the Pig Pen) was on the small side for the four of us, but very clean, as was the entire house. I do have to note that my daughter was a bit uncomfortable on the cot they brought in for her.

You probably shouldn't stay here if you are expecting a huge suite with mints on the pillows, don't expect the rooster to crow at dawn (I strongly recommend you go to bed early), or can't step away from a computer for a couple of days (or if it bothers you to have a goat following you around; for me, it was a new but completely enjoyable experience). But if you want a quiet time with your kids, and to experience farm life through their eyes, you can't do much better than this.

By the way, we also ate at Marco's Pizza one night. It was actually pretty good, and I tend to be a snob about my Italian food.

• Liked — Warm hosts and totally relaxing environment, great for kids.
  • Disliked — A little cramped
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
New Jersey
Reviewed 12 November 2007

Did you ever dream of living on a farm when you were a child? I did. Though, I don't think I will ever get to live on a farm, staying at the Olde Fogie Farm gave my 8 year old daughter and me the chance to live that dream for a couple of days. Staying at the Olde Fogie Farm gives you the chance to experience many of the wonderful aspects of farm living without any of the hard work. Biz and Tom (the farmers) are so wonderful you wish they really were a part of your family. They are so warm, casual, and friendly that when you leave to go home you feel like you can't wait to return. My daughter and I visited for a couple of days and wished we were able to stay longer.

The farm is near Hershey, Strasburg Railroad, Dutch Wonderland, Amish attractions, and more. If you are able to plan a trip to the farm, try to plan to stay 2 nights minimum, more would be better. Schedule time to spend relaxing at the farm. During your visit your children will plead with you, "Can't we please just go back to the farm?!" if you end up spending all your time running to the local attractions.

There is a beautiful (and very clean) man-made pond with stone waterfall and dozens of foot long brightly colored fish. The children from the various families staying at the farm meet to feed the fish and swim in the pond together. Parents get to know each other as they relax and enjoy the peaceful sight of children having a special, original, and memorable experience swimming with the gentle fish. Each child enters the water timidly the first time and boldly (and full of pride) each time thereafter.

The gardens are beautiful. It truly is a peaceful and rejuvenating experience just sitting on a bench. Everywhere you look you see the beauty that hard work and loving care can bring to an environment. I'm sure that I have never described any other experience I've had as "peaceful and rejuvenating" but the trip to the Ode Fogie Farm was just that.

The farm house is clean. You do not feel as though you are spending the night in a hotel. You feel as though you are a welcome guest in a very homey farm house. The breakfast (served for those that stay in the Pig Pen and the Garden Room only) is to die for. We ate eggs that the children pulled right out from under the hens. The hash browns were made from potatoes pulled out of the ground that morning. Everything else served for breakfast was equally wonderful.

My husband and 10 year old son watched the videos that I took and they can't wait to come with us when we return next summer. I hope that you will try the Olde Fogie Farm. Maybe we'll see you there!

• Liked — Offered wonderful, comfortable farm experience.
  • Disliked — What's not to love??!! There were no negatives.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank TeaCupTime
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 October 2007

This was the most excellent experience! The Fogies are incredible people that take their guests seriously. Biz and Tom love having "good people" at their home and do a great job of taking care of you while you're there. We stayed in the Chicken Coop which sleeps four (we were 2 adults and a child). My daughter was smitten with the animals and the chores! The pond and the fish are awesome.
We can't wait to stay there again.

Thank you to the Fogies!!!

Stayed September 2007
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed 2 July 2007

We recently got back from our vacation in PA, and I must say that the stay at Olde Fogie Farm was definetely the highlight of our trip. My two (almost three) year old will even tell you it was her favorite part, betting out Sesame Place and meeting Elmo. The place far exceeded our expectations.

We stayed for four nights in the Hayloft. The room was well decorated and very clean. There was plenty of space for all three of us to move around. We loved that the trendle bed was in a separate area so that our daughter could sleep without us bothering her, yet close enough to us that she felt safe and not scared. We were pleasantly surprised that the room was so kid friendly, there was a little corner that had toys, there was tons of stuffed animals all around and we found some coloring books and crayons on top of the fridge. We appreciated having a full kitchen that was well stocked with all the tools we needed to cook with. Our daughter loved cooking the eggs for breakfast that she just gathered at chore time.

There was so much to do on the farm and it was such a relaxing atmosphere that we cancelled one day of plans so we could just hang out on the farm. My daughter loved all the animals, helping out with the chores (which you are in no way obligated to do), the swimming hole with all the fish, the beautiful gardens, the large play house, the swing and picking mulberries.

Biz and Tom are wonderful hosts. Completely accomodating and helpful. They made us feel like family.

Yes, the roaster will wake you up at a crazy early time. But after the first morning, we discovered that the white noise from the air conditioning completey drowns it out. So the roaster was only able to wake us up one morning - that was it.

We would love to get back there some day. It was a true gem!

• Liked — Can't pick just one thing - it was the whole package
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank mmichelleb
Wantagh, New York
Reviewed 29 May 2007

This was our 4th visit to the farm and at this point I must say that it truly feels like home. It's a special place with special people running it and each visit something magical seems to happen.

It's not just for kids, either. This time I brought along my 82 year old mom who also loved it.

It's hard not to fall in love with Biz and her wonderful breakfasts, which seem to get more delicious with each visit.

Stayed May 2007
Wilkes-Barre PA
Reviewed 15 May 2007

Well I don't know how anyone of sound mind could say anything bad about the Olde Fogie Farm. My family was just there Mother's Day weekend (2007). Our anniversary also happens to fall in that same weekend. We usually try to plan a vacation around that time every year. I must say that we have gone to Vegas, Disney World, Ocean City MD just to name a few, but this was quite possibly the best and most relaxing time we've spent away from home.
My Family already made me promise to go back again, and I quickly agreed. My son, who like most 9 year olds is into his xbox, he forgot all about it. In fact, he was up each morning before the bell rang to do the daily chores. The chores are not mandatory, and should hardly be called "chores". Biz rings a bell a few times and gives people and/or children the chance to come out and help with the chores in the morning. Bottle feeding the young animals, petting others, brushing off the pig, milking the goat. These are the very UN strenuious chores. For those of you who decide to stay in a part of the house that includes breakfast, you are in for a treat. Biz makes the best breakfast to start your day.
It is not what you might think a working farm to be. You could eat off of the floors in the rooms, and the stables are kept very neat as well. The animals are so calm and used to people that my daughter who is 22 months old never wanted to leave them. Every time I turned around one of my two children were back in the barnyard petting an animal again. Even the fish that are in the pond will swim right up to the shore when you walk in the gate.
Biz and her husband Tom are two of the nicest hosts you could find. They do everything in their power to make your stay a great one. They honestly treated us like we were family when we were there. Biz is like having a second mom, she waits up to make sure every one of her guests are back safely. Also I liked having Tom and Biz to give us some advice on places to see and things to do while we were off on our travels. Everything they told us about was great, including the places to eat.
I can't wait to get back there and get away from the everyday fast paced life. Maybe I'll see some of you other travelers there!!

Sean McManus

• Liked — It felt like home there
  • Disliked — Nothing negative to say about it
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank vwnmustang
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marietta
Warehouse Hotel
Heritage Hotel
Heritage Hotel
#20 of 39 in Lancaster
Sleep Inn & Suites Lancaster County

Been to Olde Fogie Farm? Share your experiences!