“Deeply Uncomfortable”
Review of Olde Fogie Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Marietta
Olde Fogie Farm
Alexandria, Virginia
“Deeply Uncomfortable”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here with our friends (a married couple and their toddler). We stayed in January and were surprised to find that the "discounted" off-season rate was still $100+. Still, knowing that b&b's are a bit pricier than hotels, we anticipated having a wonderful experience. While our stay was not awful, it was deeply uncomfortable in more ways than one. Our friends stayed in one of the large rooms that had a kitchen area, and my boyfriend and I stayed in a smaller room on the second floor. Although there is a main hallway to access the upstairs rooms, the owners insisted we walk through our friends' rooms to access the stairs so that we wouldn't create a draft in the house. This was very inappropriate; we did not want to impose on our friends just to come and go, especially since the owners themselves were using the other entrance!

The second, and in my opinion most inexcusable, issue was the plumbing. Immediately upon being shown our rooms, we were told to flush the toilets as little as possible and that if it was "yellow let it mellow" to put less strain on the plumbing. There were even signs on the toilets to this effect. I could not believe we were being told how (and how not) to use the bathrooms! Given the paper thin walls, I almost expected the owners to counter the number of flushes they heard. The beds were comfortable, although extremely creaky.

We were looking forward to breakfast, but now I wish we'd eaten anywhere else. Breakfast was cooked by the owners, and it could not have been more sparse. The selection was a slice of toast with one egg cooked in the middle, some bacon, and some grapes/bananas. We would have asked for more food but the owners were already seating themselves and eating part of it. Overall, everyone had one egg/toast and two slices of bacon. Needless to say we ended up having to eat nearly an hour later. We were also held up in our departure because the owners could not use the credit card machine and we had to wait for their daughter to arrive, and at this point it seemed very sketchy because our friend had already given her credit card for the full deposit over the phone, but they were insisting it had not actually been charged at the time. Plus, the daughter attempted to charge a higher rate and would have done so had our friend not written down the number she'd been quoted on the phone.

The farm itself has a great variety for the size of the land. The pond is beautiful, and there are pigs, goats, cows, and dogs. The pens looked rather filthy, as did the animals, but we chalked this up to life on the farm.

Overall, I'd suggest staying elsewhere because it is not located close to any attractions, and for the price you could stay at a much more updated b&b where you can flush the toilet as you please.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank MD2VA

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Annapolis, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We had another great trip to Olde Fogie Farm this year! We adore this place! Tom, Biz and Vicki are great people to spend time with. They have always made us feel very comfortable and we enjoy sitting around chatting with them.

This year we did a couple new things - 1 - Went to Dutch Wonderland! It was about a 30 minute drive - but my 3 year old son had a great time! The park isn't too big and wasn't crowded at all so we were able to run around the park and get on our favorite rides multiple times! We spent the entire day there and especially loved the shows! 2 - Found Chickies Rock Park! Last year we went hiking to the overlook but this year we found the park - I'm not sure why there isn't a sign but you should check it out if you like hiking, etc. It's very close to Chickies Rock Overlook - if you see some cars parked on the side of the road that's where it is. There are 2 white utility buildings and you walk to the back of them and it opens up into a gorgeous hiking trail! We found a waterfall and hiked down to the train tracks and down to the bottom of the river. Awesome! We love the natural beauty of this place!

We love Olde Fogie Farm. My son loves the farm chores, especially collecting the eggs from the hen house. We also spent a lot of time across the little bridge near the pond, playing in the creek. Next time I'll grab some firewood from the market and make a bonfire.

See ya next year Olde Fogie Farm!

Room Tip: Chicken Coop Suite is on the bottom floor and has a private porch.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank outdoormomma
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Really nice family with great opportunities for kids to interact with farm animals. Stayed in Pigpen room as family of 4 which was pretty tight, and very close to other guest rooms. Great breakfast. (It may be more comfortable for families in larger rooms.)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
New York, New York
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I would not go back and would not recommend staying here. We stayed at the O.F. Farm about a year or so ago with 2 other families for a weekend. At the time of booking, I informed the wife the ages of all of our children as I wanted to make sure that this would not be an issue. Our group had 9 children ranging from infants to young teenagers. All of our families travel extensively - both locally and internationally. Our kids are generally well-behaved and we all supervise them all the time. None of us experienced anything like the way we were treated here. We were all treated rudely by both the husband and the wife. For example, the wife repeatedly commented that the babies were very noisy in the evening and in the morning- to the point that we felt uncomfortable. If they did not want babies in the house, they should have told us beforehand since they knew that 2 babies were going to be staying there. Additionally, at breakfast one morning they prepared food for our large group, which was included in the price. While we were serving ourselves at the table, the husband, who apparently did not want to cook additional food for his other guests who woke up a little late, took a large plate of food off of our table to give to someone who was not in the kitchen or dining area telling us, "You don't need this." (That is now our traveling group joke.) The problem was that many of us still hadn't had a chance to get the food from the plate! This was obvious as our plates were still empty! Further, the husband and wife kept making snide comments throughout our stay - directly and indirectly. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what they said, however, I distinctly remember how uncomfortable they made me feel. Again, we travel as a family and as a group often. We stay in resorts, hotels, rental homes & apartments, bed and breakfasts and farm stays. None of us experienced anything like this. While in many of my other Tripadvisor reviews, I detail many things about places I stay, I am not doing that here because I do not recommend staying here based upon the personalities of the owners. The reason that I wrote this review so long after my stay is because I was recently searching for a Farm Stay and came across the O.F. Farm. It just brought back bad memories of a poorly run Farm Stay home. There are better places out there. (Note: I put down May 2013 as Tripadvisor makes you include a date - but I do not remember when I actually travelled - it was within the last year or two.)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Yaccova
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My 4 1/2 year old son and I just got back from a two night stay at Olde Fogie Farm. I had to drag him away! The Olde Fogie Farm provides the kind of childhood experience that is rapidly becoming a thing of the past. The farm has all kinds of animals, including friendly free-roaming dogs, a tree house, a creek, a play house, and a wading pond with big, inquisitive fish. Our room, the Pig Pen, was stocked with all sorts of simple toys he found irresistible. There was no reason to watch TV or spend too much time indoors, even though the weather did not always cooperate.

As most of the other reviewers have noted, the morning chores are a big hit. But I think the pond was the most exciting part. Even today, when the weather was around 50 degrees, he wanted to go in. One other young guest actually did! That was another thing that was great. There were two other families staying at the time, and the kids (and adults) became fast friends.

Biz, Tom, and Vickie were wonderful hosts, as everyone has mentioned. Biz gave us the great suggestion to visit Roots Country Market in Manheim, which takes place only on Tuesday. So many great vendors there with food, Amish products, antiques, household items, crafts, and more.

It was a truly memorable stay, and I recommend the B&B highly. A few tips for parents: 1) Make sure to bring more than the usual changes of clothes for your child. The pull of the wading pond is hard to resist, no matter what you're wearing! You'll want to have lots of extras. 2) Several pairs of shoes and a pair of boots are a must. 3) Keep in mind that there are no stores that are less than a 10 minute drive away. So make sure to bring some snacks with you.

Enjoy this throwback to a simpler time and let your child be a kid! It doesn't even need to be summer to enjoy this, as we found out.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank hollywd
South Africa/Italy
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We visited last weekend with our 2.5 year old daughter and 8 week old son. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit. Biz, Tom and their daughter are very warm and relaxed hosts and the house, farm and garden are gorgeous and full of charming details. The (optional) morning chores were good fun, breakfast was delicious and our daughter loved to playhouse and the fish pond.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank LovesTravel77
Virginia
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Our stay with Biz and Farmer Tom at Old Fogie Farm was beyond our expectation.
The rooms were clean and homely. The Breakfast was delicious and the conversation
with the hosts at the breakfast table made us feel right at home.
Interacting with the various animals was a therapeutic experience. We just loved every
aspect of it and plan to return again. This is a excellent place for a family with
small children. But it is also a pleasant change for someone like me with a hectic life.
For a short while, life slows down and you appreciate the hard work that takes to maintain
a farm with many animals. The walk in the meadow with the goats and calves following
us was wonderful.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Aravind061
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marietta
Eden Resort and Suites, BW Premier Collection
B.F. Hiestand House Bed & Breakfast
Ascot House Bed and Breakfast
Susquehanna Manor
Susquehanna Manor
#4 of 6 in Marietta

Been to Olde Fogie Farm? Share your experiences!