“Enjoy it every time”
Review of Olde Fogie Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Marietta
Olde Fogie Farm
elizabeth, nj
“Enjoy it every time”
Reviewed 7 August 2004

I am very suprised by the first reviewer's experience. We have stayed at the farm twice and are returning again. We always have a wonderful time and find the Fogie's very accomodating. Yes, it's a quirky place, so if you don't like quirky and prefer a more predictable family vacation there are probably better options in the area. That said, the 2 family suites(which have kitchens and therefore don't include breakfast) are spacious and comfortable-and very kid friendly.The swimming pond and gardens are great. Yes, there are flies. The rooster will also wake you up earlier then you prefer to get up. On one of our visits the ducks were mean-spirited and the horse was sick...This is a working farm, not a family resort. They're real live animals, not attractions. And that's what I appreciate most about this place-the little ammenities are nice, but above all, it's a place where my family gets to experience the natural rhythms of farm life, animals and nature, and we don't expect the experience to comform to our expectations. As a result, we always have lots of unexpected and delightful moments here.

• Stayed August 2004
5 Thank jerigood

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
NY
Reviewed 20 July 2004

This trip was not what we expected at all. For a place that was supposedly geared towards family, I can honestly say that they have a long, long way to go. When you open your home and bill it and a bed and breakfast, particularly geared towards families with young children, usually one expects certain things, not the least of which is breakfast!

For starters we were given a different room than promised, because a repeat visitor had called in the meantime and taken the room we were originally assigned. We were left with a smaller room, leading my son to have to sleep on the floor....We and our three children were given an upstairs room with no shower, complete with bees nest and flies galore. When I inquired about the shower, I was told I could "relax" in the claw foot tub in our bathroom, isn't that much nicer than a shower anyway??? Obviously for a 2 night stay with three children, there wouldn't much relaxing to be done, and I obviously was not happy that our original, larger first floor room was given away.

As for the farm chores, this was not as expected either. My kids were really looking forward to riding a horse and milking the goat and as depicted in the website pictures. However when we started the chores, led by the Fogie's 10 year old niece, we did NOT milk a goat, were told we couldn't ride the horse because he was "new" and not very good with people yet, and were given brooms and told to sweep out the pig pen. This is TRUE~~!
The famous kissing lamas were behind an electric fence, which was BEHIND the "petting area", which we were not even allowed in the first day, because it was occupied by a horse that the Fogies described as ornery...(Question: Why was he there if he was so ornery???)

The pond was one of the nice things about the farm, and my kids did get a kick out of swimming with the giant koi, once they got over their initial squeamishness!

We, the adults, were able to feed a baby calf with a bottle, which my kids wanted to do, but were told they wouldn't be able to hold the bottle right. As the calf was chained with a leash and covered in feces, I was not terribly upset about this. But Farmer Tom then proceeded to tell us, as we looked into the 12 week old baby calf's big gentle eyes, that once he became 1200 pounds he would be sold for beef...This is an animal that was SOCIALIZED and kept as a pet, accustomed to humans, and used in games of tag with the children, although we were not privy to this experience. (I also noticed two other cows/calves in a dark and dirty barn with no windows or air, which stayed in that barn the entire visit. I do not even know what these cows were used for, but their living conditions were disgusting.)

BIZ became quite upset with my daughter for feeding the turkeys bird seed, although there are signs all over the guest rooms saying that you can feed the animals POTATO CHIPS and any other table scraps!! (Note: This place is full of signs!!) The food we were feeding the turkeys, I was told, was specifically reserved for the finches...yet it was sitting out near the pond by the FISH with a sign saying bird seed on it and a big scooper inside...

Error on my part, I had misheard the owner, and thought she had said "That food is for the FISHES". So, while I though her grammar was a little strange, I told my daughter, it's ok, she said it's for the fishes lets go feed it to the fishes, even though I thought it a little strange to feed bird seed to koi...As soon as we walked over to the pond, we were confronted by Farmer Tom, who grabbed the bowl out of my four year old's hands. He said "OH no, you don't feed that to the fish!!" I said, "Wait a minute , your wife just told me it was for the fish!" and he said "Oh no it's for the finches!!!""

Ok it was an honest mistake, and the fish never got a taste of that bird seed, since he was so quick to grab it.. I apologized and thought this was the end of it, although I still do not understand why there was a barrel of seed sitting by the fish pond if you don't want it fed to the fish, particularly in a place supposedly geared towards kids!!

The next day, the owner, Biz, confronted me yet again and said "You know, I am still really angry that you were feeding the fish my Finch food!!"

I am sorry but I did not pay these ridiculous prices to be a stable boy/woman and have my children clean out some dirty barn, when they had hoped to ride a horse or milk a cow. And I was highly disappointed with the attitude of owners, who were irritable and unaccomodating.

The farm is located in Marietta, PA which is a good 40 minutes from Lancaster and Pennsylvania Dutch country.

Having been on other farm vacations, I can honestly say that this was one the most uncomfortable experiences I have ever had on a vacation. I have gone camping in places that had less flies and dirt than this. NOTE TO CITY DWELLERS: Fly infestation is NOT a prerequesite to a farm vacation! Of course some insects are normal in a country setting, but we had flies in our car for a solid week after we got back that we could not get rid of!!

As for the hosts; well they certainly lived up to their name.

20 Thank butterfly10954
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 July 2004

My 2 children and I spent 2 days at the Olde Fogie Farm. My first impression was that of a beautiful garden with a duck pond, surrounded by a farm house and barn. After we met the Fogie's we walked around the farm and enjoyed the scenery. We stayed in the Pig Pen (Our room name) and did chores the next day. It was fun for the kids to do chores which included feeding the chickens, gathering the eggs, brushing the pig and bottle feeding the calves. The children and I also enjoyed a wonderful breakfast at the farm prepared by the Fogie's themselves. Later in the afternoon we enjoyed a swim in the fishpond with the goldfish (which were by the way about 12"-14"
long.) It was a great time and we are going again this year with all 4 children. Only this time we are staying in the Garden Room. When you call the Olde Fogie's they may talk in "farm language" and ask you how many piglets will be coming and may inform you that you will be sleeping in the pig pen! Just be aware, it is only farm talk and you'll catch on. Enjoy!!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marietta
Warehouse Hotel
Heritage Hotel
Heritage Hotel
#20 of 39 in Lancaster
Sleep Inn & Suites Lancaster County

Been to Olde Fogie Farm? Share your experiences!