“Very dissapointing”

Railroad House Inn
Ranked #2 of 16 Restaurants in Marietta
Price range: US$8 - US$34
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Nestled on the banks of the mighty Susquehanna River, located inside an 1820's Railroad Hotel, the Railroad House Inn is an upscale dining experience serving unique food in a historic one-of-a-kind atmosphere. Featuring all craft beer draft menu, a signature drink menu, and a great wine list available.
Little Britain Township, PA
“Very dissapointing”
Reviewed 5 August 2009

I've been wanting to try out the Railroad House, and we finally made a point to go there on Friday night. We didn't call for reservations, but chose to pop in and eat in the bar area. The bar area was nice, although not the truly classy ambiance I was expecting, and not nearly the level of McCleary's pub just a few blocks away. Although I am addicted to the FoodTV channel, I found it a little odd that they had Rachel Ray on the two TVs in the bar. I guess there wasn't a good baseball game available. The beer list was ample and the dirty martini I had was fine (not exceptional). The menu was not very extensive did not have a clear them to there offerings.

My girlfriend ordered French onion soup and a beer cheese and cracker appetiser. I was hungry and wanted to try the prime rib special, which I'd share with my girlfriend. The cheese and crakers were nice, so were her soup and my sald. The prime rib came and instead of the warm pink that you'd expect when ordering medium rare prime rib, it was a homogenous shade of beige. There was no darker brown crust on the outside, nor any sign of moisture on the inside. Although not a habit of mine, I felt compelled to send it back. When it came back 10 minutes later, the prime rib was still off color, but a lot less cooked. It was almost raw in the middle. I ate around the edges, which were edible if not enjoyable. I left the bulk of this king cut of prime rib untouched.

The bartender served as our waiter, and was very attentive. He was appologetic about the prime rib, recognizing for himself that the second attempt was almost raw. He ended up comping our bar bill, which was the decent thing to do. I did have to ask how they cooked the prime rib though, as I've never seen meat like this before. He said that they precook the prime rib and then cut off portions and finish cooking as ordered. I can't figure out how they do the cooking (pre cooking or when ordered) but it looked as though it was done in a microwave oven.

I may go back to the bar because of the service, and may even try another menu item eventually. If I was hungry for Prime Rib, however, I would go somewhere other than the Railroad House.

2 Thank Dannyboy175