Mountain Dale Farm
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Econo Lodge(Mifflintown)
US$91
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewspenn's cavethe main housefarm experiencegoatsturkeyscottagetvaccommodations
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 August 2010

Not looking for a fancy hotel. Just wanted our granddaughter to learn about farm life, so spent a delightful weekend at Mountain Dale Farm. Had our own cottage with full kitchen and bath, and a front porch to sit on. As Sally explained, there aren't too many working farms these days with the variety of animals found at Mountain Dale. Chickens, geese, beef cattle, a horse, goats, sheep, a pig, a peacock, rabbits, pigeons, even a guinea pig. The sheep, goats, cows, and chickens all had babies. Best part for Sydney was helping feed the animals every day at 7 am and pm. She really learned a lot about the farm animals. This is not a B&B, so bring your own breakfast food. We did get to cook the fresh eggs Sydney gathered from the chicken coop. A rare experience for today's kids to get "up close and personal" with real farm animals.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank weddingplanningmom
Reviewed 3 January 2010

I stayed with my wife and children ages 9, 7 and 4. This is a wonderful low key, non-commercial way to spend a vacation with your family.

Our kids enjoyed the farm immensely and couldn't wait to do the farm chores (feeding chickens, pigs, horses, cows, goats and turkeys) twice a day. The Hassinger family are exceptional hosts and make themselves available as needed to make your stay enjoyable. Beyond the farm there are other activities in the region including an amusement park (Knoebels), markets (including a cattle auction which my kids enjoyed), Penn's Cave, and depending on the time of the year, county fairs.

The accommodations were clean, comfortable and homey, but not fancy. Our cabin (The Richards) had a fully functional kitchen where we were able to cook eggs fresh from the farm for breakfast.

On the whole I would recommend this strongly for a family vacation.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank FamilyTravelers67
Reviewed 25 October 2009

I stayed here with my two children, 9 and 6, who had never experienced farm or mountain life, as they grew up in FL. It was very remote and quiet, and the cabins were comfortable, clean, and stocked, but not luxurious, which was fine. Considering the price, it was a very fair value. The pedal boats were somewhat decrepit, but it added a bit of adventure to the pond. Luckily, the pond is very shallow and my kids were wearing crocs!

The kids LOVED doing chores in the morning and evening and made sure to save lots of leftovers and peelings from dinner for the chickens. I enjoyed the freedom of letting my kids run somewhat free on the farm to play and explore. A real treat for them to have some freedom. We hiked in the mountains, and caught lightning bugs at night.

Sally, the owner, was wonderful with the children and went out of our way to help us find local produce for cooking and interesting activities in the area.

My kids want to do this every year. It was a very low-key and peaceful type of vacation and allowed us to connect in a very different way than other vacations have.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank ericjeneast
Reviewed 7 July 2009

I stayed at this farm in July 2009 and it was horrible. I was very disappointed. The furniture in the cabin was mis-matched. None of the chairs matched. All of them had significant stains - very bad. Everything looked like it was very old and came from the thrift shop. Some upholstery was so worn that the padding was showing through. The front porch had a rocking chair with one arm that was coming off and the seat was also coming loose. Many of the dishes and pots were old and stained. Beds were old and very uncomfortable. I even found a baited mouse trap in my room. I grew up in a rural area and I so I was not looking for the Taj Mahal but I was very disappointed.
Don't even get me started on the farm. It looked like a junk yard - old cars and trucks sitting everywhere, most of the out buildings were filled with lumber, all types of metal, old toliets, old bathtubs, refrigerators, and an old trailer, uninhabited, sitting out beyond one building. The paddle boat and canoe looked very, very old. If I had children I would have felt unsafe letting them roam around the property because of the junk and general state of disrepair. There are very few animals on the place and I fee sorry for them. Spend a little more money and stay somewhere you will really enjoy.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank vatravler20
Reviewed 24 April 2009

This was a very unique and fun trip, especially if you have young kids as we did 8, 6 and 5. The place is actually a farm with cattle, goats, sheep, chickens, turkeys, rabbits and a horse. Every morning 7am and evening 7pm, the children were able to feed all animals and hold some of the smaller ones and gather eggs. The children loved this and didn't want to miss a day. In April mid week we were the only ones staying there which was good for the farm chores as we got to do everything everyday. We stayed three nights. There are individual cabins (houses) setup on the property kind of in a circle where you can stay as well as a few rooms in the main house and some called forest cabins. We stayed in Richards Cabin which had a kitchen, Bathroom, and two bedrooms upstairs that slept 6. (There was also a bunk bed in a main room 2 more to sleep and you had a table to eat etc.).
The place was very clean, but it is a Farm so you may see a mouse and it's not a motel with maid service but it is a big step up from camping. The other houses looked very similar and I'm sure were just as clean. There was some Forest cabin up a road that only had bunk beds, no restrooms, no linens or tables. I would not recommend these unless you’re a Boy Scout troop looking to do some camping. I was told the place caters a lot to church retreats and group outings. I would agree it's probably a great place to go as a group with friends. They had two small ponds, one with a few boats you could paddle around on and fish, a recreation room with a pool table and ping pong. I forgot to mention the cabins had no phones but everyone has cell phones now anyway and the TV did get CBS, NBC and ABC channels only. There is a lot of piece and quiet here and in the surrounding neighborhood. Everything is about 30 - 45 minutes away including a mall in Nitteny, Penn's Cave (which I recommend), a bunch of state parks, and fishing spots. No great restaurants or shopping.
But if you’re looking for something a little different and want to give yourself a view off what it's like to be on a farm this is a good spot. But plan on entertaining yourself, maybe in summer there is a few more places around to visit but all are a good ride away.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family