Homewood Suites by Hilton Harrisburg-West Hershey Area
GreenLeadersBronze level
Rochester, New York
“A real oasis!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

Traveling between Rochester, NY and Raleigh, NC, I needed a safe, clean place to stay that would cut my trip at the halfway point. My sister recommended that I try Homewood Suites - she said she has never had a bad experience with them. Boy, was she correct!

I was so tired by the time I got to Mechanicsburg that all I wanted to do was to order some food for delivery, jump into bed, watch tv, and fall asleep. This hotel delivered all of this plus SO much more!

The lady working at the front desk was awesome! I was worried about the impending snow storm and what that could mean for the road conditions in the morning. She took it upon herself to pull up weather reports all the way up Hwy 15 - it was a little too early to know exactly what might happen. She recommended that I decide to travel or not in the morning, but in the meantime, she extended by reservation until Sunday "just in case". After some friendly chit chat, she recommended a WONDERFUL Chinese delivery in the area and let me check into my room two hours early.

The room was an excellent, large two-room suite. It was very clean and comfortable - the furniture didn't feel like I was in a hotel. The bed was simply amazing. I slept like a baby for the first time in almost two weeks away from home. The bed itself was so comfy, but I have to mention that the blanket on the bed was the softest, warmest I've ever used! In the morning, I was happy to find a shower that had great water pressure.

When it was time to leave, a different lady was working at the front desk. She, too, looked up the weather for me all the way to Rochester to see if it seemed safe to drive. Since 'the coast was clear' if I left within the hour, I checked out. I mentioned to her how wonderful the blanket on the bed was. She did some quick calling around for me (evidentally she had to pull someone out of a staff meeting) and I ended up purchasing not one but two of these blankets for home! I've never had such great customer service at a hotel before!

I do need to mention that the breakfast included with the room was even outstanding. I love fruit and muffins for a quick breakfast. Everything was very fresh, lots to choose from, and the coffee was terrific.

Stay at this hotel if you want to feel safe, comfortable and pampered! Next best thing to being at home!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Suslew
HARHW, Guest Relations Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Harrisburg-West Hershey Area, responded to this review, 8 December 2011
We are thrilled that your sister recommended our property and a huge thank you to you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. We take great pride in our staff and services and are thrilled when our guests take notice. I will pass your comments on to the entire staff, as we do reward our employees for a "job well done". While traveling again from New York to North Carolina, we hope to be your halfway oasis!
Thanks Again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Crofton, Md
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2011

We booked this property for an overnight to visit Hershey because eveything else was booked up. While not very close to the attractions (about a 30 minute drive) it was the most certainly the best option outside of the Hershey area. The staff was extremely friendly and the room was very spacious and well kept. We had one small issue with the tempurature as it seems they had the air on the coldest setting prior to our arrival, but it warmed up within about 15 minutes. Excellent breakfast and great stay overall.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I was happy that you could not find other accommodations and chose to stay with us! Seriously, you are absolutely correct that we are 21 miles from Hershey, but we do try to offer the best value. The spacious suites make it perfect for family travel. I am happy to hear that the suite temperature became comfortable within a few minutes. Please do not ever hesitate to contact our staff with any issues, as our goal is to exceed your expectations.

Thanks again!
Branford, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

Wife wanted an outdoor pool for our summer stay, as we were in town for the Corvettes @ Carlisle fairgrounds and this is the only one I could find that offered one in the area. This is also our first stay at a Homewood Suites, and we were very impressed. Walking down the long straight hallway with light music playing reminded me of walking down the hallway of a cruise ship! This hotel was much closer than the other Harrisburg hotels (15 minutes to the fairgrounds) that we've stayed at in the past, plus on the side of the building, they offer you the use of their water and hose for car washing (specifically for the show). As a Hilton Honors member, I was able to check in 36 hours in advance and chose my suite location. The dinner options offered Monday thru Thursday night is posted on a monthly calander on the fridge, and offers a cookout once a week, and includes soda amongst the free beer and wine. The free morning breakfast is similar to what's offered at their sister property (Hampton Inn) with two changing hot choices every morning amongst, toast, bagels, juices and coffee's. The suite was very inviting as the kitchen was well stocked, the living room comfortable and large with a fireplace and large flat screen tv. A set of solid french doors seperated the living room from the large bedroom that offered a king size bed, ceiling fan, large flat screen and seperate toilet/shower from the sink closet area. The outdoor pool was very inviting as the water temperture must've been in the 80's, which made for easy entry but was still inviting. Scant selection of chairs around the pool deck, as the surround is very small. Basketball court also in the courtyard along with benchs for quiet moments. The hotel is in a business park, but very quiet. Front desk offers a list and map of restaurants in the area.

Will definately stay here again, and look forward to our 2012 stay!

Room Tip: Ask for the secomd floor, as the first floor is level and close to either the parking area or very c...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Keith K, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Harrisburg-West Hershey Area, responded to this review, 10 July 2016
I wanted to say thanks for your review of our hotel. Our goal is make guest feel at "Home" and we hope we achieved this. If you have visited us lately, We would love for you to experience our newly renovated hotel.

Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

I was on line to book another hilton hotel property and found these reviews' We lived at this Homewood Sites for 7 months while our home was being rebuilt after a fire in 2008. The staff were wonderful! The food was great, keep in mind we had it every day and it always was great, choices were multiple. The lobby became part of our extended home. The bus even picked my son out front each am. The hosekeeping staff really did a fantastic job every day. My son enjoyed the basketball court and pool in the summer. We had multiple friends and family stay at the hotel to visit with us, and all were impressed with everything this Homewood Suites offered-from the rocking chairs out front on the porch entrance to the garden area by the b-ball court, this place is fantastic, and the staff -awesome! When family come to visit us now, they love to stat here!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

This was our first stay at a Homewood Suites and it was wonderful. We stayed in the 2 bedroom/2 bath suite for 5 nights to visit Hershey Park, Gettysburg and the PA Dutch area. All attractions were easily accessible. The hotel service and employees were first class. The room rate included a full buffet breakfast(surprisingly good) that changed every day as well as a dinner reception(Mon-Thurs) that included free beer and wine. Also the hotel was in a nice safe location. I definitely would stay at this property again and will look for a Homewood Suites whenever I travel.

Room Tip: If you are a Hilton Honors member you can go to the website and choose your suite 48 hrs before your...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Keith Komon
Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights while visiting Hershey. The rooms were spacious and clean. The free breakfast was great - nice selection of hot and cold items. Hot cookies in the evening were a nice treat. The staff was helpful and attentive. My 4 year old son takes his stuffed Curious George with him on trips to sleep with. Every day when we came back in the evening, the housekeeping staff had made his bed and put his monkey on top with Hershey Kisses's on him. My son thought that was the neatest thing. The only downside was there was not many restaurants visible from the hotel. However, the Isaac's Deli across the street was awesome and we ordered take out from there every night.

• Stayed August 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lulu0202

Paramus, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

Room was clean, staff friendly, Free breakfast every morning. Quite location that is about 15 minutes from Hershey. Will stay again!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Keith K, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Harrisburg-West Hershey Area, responded to this review, 11 July 2016
Thank you for your review of your stay as your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mechanicsburg
Hampton Inn by Hilton Harrisburg West
TownePlace Suites by Marriott Harrisburg West/Mechanicsburg
Courtyard Harrisburg West/Mechanicsburg
Homewood Suites Harrisburg East-Hershey Area
Country Inn and Suites Harrisburg West
Wingate by Wyndham Mechanicsburg/Harrisburg West

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Harrisburg-West Hershey Area? Share your experiences!