“Great Overall property”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Pembroke, Massachusetts, United States
“Great Overall property”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was a great stay for our family. We stayed here for 3 nights and went to Hershey Park and Lancaster County to visit the Amish. The drive from Philly was easy, an hour and a half to Lancaster and about 40 minutes from Lancaster to the hotel. We arrived on a Saturday and the hotel was pretty packed. We had a couple of issues with the room that were mostly taken care of - fridge was on the fritz, they gave us a whole new one - room couldn't shake a smoky smell - it's a non-smoking property so not sure why it was that way but it lingered unfortunately. I couldn't bother with switching, we were in the room only to sleep. Housekeeping was excellent, everyone was pleasant and responsive. They did have a hard time keeping up with the breakfast crowd on Sunday am, Mon and Tues were much better. The pool was quite warm, again crowded Sat night - we didn't bother - much better Sun and Mon. The drive to Hershey was bearable, traffic to the park was a bit painful Monday as the park was super packed. Not sure I'd stay this far out in the future but the property was very nice and our stay was great especially compared to the high prices close to the Park. Not really great choices for food close by, it's industrial, the Papa Johns was our best bet, the McDonalds was by far the most disgusting I've been in - in quite some time, I would not return there.Fun pool table on the 2nd floor, basketball court was always busy so we didn't get to play. They have a bunch of noodles to play with in the pool and there is no hot tub. Enjoy!

Room Tip: There's a Giant supermarket not far and a liquor store next door - make use of the fridge!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
HARHW, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Harrisburg-West Hershey Area, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
We appreciate you choosing our property as a "home base" for your vacation. Our location is perfect for families that want to vacation in Gettysburg, Hershey and Lancaster. We will be embarking on a 3.4 million dollar renovation later this year, which means if your travels bring you back next year, we will have an entire new look!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Dawsonville, United States
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Excellent customer service and super clean hotel!! My flight arrived in PA a few hours before the posted check-in time for the hote. I called ahead and the receptionists were very friendly and did their very best to get me into my room before the check in time. I will definitely stay in this hotel on my next visit to PA.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

We take great pride in our hotel, staff and services. I am thrilled to hear that we could honor your early check - in request. We want to EARN your continued patronage.
Washington DC
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My family stayed here for three nights while visiting the hershey park area. The hotel was very clean, and the bed in our one bedroom king bed suite was so lovely I could have spent my vacation there, relaxing in the softness. There were many pillows on the bed, so was easy to find a combination that worked for me. The kids slept on the fold out couch, and when I was reading them stories at bed time I laid on it with them, and it was very soft and comfortable.

The kitchenette was clean and well supplied. The kids were also thrilled to see the tv came with a DVD player, so they were able to watch a movie in the evenings after a long day outdoors. Wifi was free and worked very well, the kids were also able to stream video with no problems.

Housekeeping was good... Very professional and did a great job.

Only complaint? Not really even a complaint so much as a request... Most of the access doors other than the main entrance require you to use your room key to enter. But the little boxes for swiping your key are surrounded by spider webs! ahh. Scary. Reminded me of that Indiana jones movie where Kate Capshaw had to reach her hand into a dark scary hole filled with insects to pull a lever. Ok, not really. But for those terrified of spiders, even the small whisp of a web can cause uncontrollable shrieking. :)

1 Thank JenLWashingtonDC
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! I have passed your comments on to our maintenance department about the key access doors! Getting a good nights sleep is so important, so we are happy that our beds were so comfy!
Brooklyn
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Before I begin, I will like to thank the following people. I like to thank the manager (Laura). I had an issue that needed her assistance. She was professional, friendly, patient and went beyond her needs to get this issue resolve. Also, during check in she greeted my family and me. For that, I thank her. I like to thank the front desk (Kathy). She was highly energetic, friendly, courtesy, professional and informative. When my family and I checked in, she greeted us and went on to inform us what the property had to offer. For example, the complimentary breakfast, dinner, the location of the pool and different business and attractions that was in the area. She welcome us like we were family and that was great. For that, I thank her. I like to thank another front desk reception (Abby). She welcomed us to the property, friendly and professional. She had a hand in our check in process. Once that was executed and we received our key cards. She pulled out the layout of the hotel to explain to us how we can get to our room. For that, I thank her. I like to thank another manager (Keith). He was professional, friendly, informative and helpful. I needed some assistance on something. He went beyond his needs to help me. We had a great conversation. He informed me this property will be undergoing renovations and the different changes that are going to be taken place. For that, I thank him. I like to thank another staff member (Felipe) I hope I spelled his name correctly. He was helpful, informative and friendly. Also, he gave us a little history about this hotel. For that, I thank him. My family and I overall experience at this property was wonderful! The staff and managers at this property make you feel like you are part of a family. This property feels like a community in itself. The breakfast was great! What was a bonus for me was the blueberry waffles. You had an option of that one or the original among other things. The rooms are spacious. The courtyard is beautiful. You can just sit in the back and relax and breathe. We will be back again!! I definitely will recommend this hotel to our friends. I can’t wait to see the new improve Homewood Suites!

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

So many potential guests rely on Trip Advisor comments prior to booking hotels. We appreciate you taking the time to write such an comprehensive review. Exceeding your expectations is our top priority. We look forward to serving you in the future and showcasing our "brand new look"!
long island, ny
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I loved this hotel and would recommend it to anyone: great outdoor pool; friendly helpful staff; comfortable suites; and the unusual feature of complimentary breakfast, dinner and wine/beer from 5:30-7:30. ONLY ONE PROBLEM: The food is terrible. All frozen/ no taste/ powdered eggs/ only 2-3 dishes for dinner/ tasteless salad/ Frozen/ Frozen/ frozen. PLEASE address this problem because I would love to return and to recommend this hotel to others.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

HARHW, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Harrisburg-West Hershey Area, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
We appreciate your review as your suggestions and opinions are key to our success. We are thrilled that you loved our accommodations; however, we are disappointed that we didn't exceed your expectations with our complimentary Suite Start Hot Breakfast and our Welcome Home Reception. If you would kindly contact me directly, I would welcome to discuss your further thoughts. We would welcome the opportunity to serve you again.

Keith Komon
717-697-4900
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Having a family of 5, we really appreciated the spaciousness of the suites and the daily breakfast. Our room was clean and the bed was comfy. The fold out couch was not very comfy to site on as a couch but was fine when opened to sleep on. Pillows were way to mushy for my taste but I am hard to please when it comes to pillows. The breakfast was satisfactory, the pool area was very nice and the staff was friendly and helpful. We were not around for the happy hour and evening food but I think that is a nice bonus to offer. AC was on overdrive while we were there. I prefer that to being hot and stuffy but man was it cold everywhere in hotel. Loved ceiling fan in bedroom. All in all good stay.

Room Tip: We were on first floor and there was a sidewalk around the parking lot that was right outside our wi...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
HARHW, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Harrisburg-West Hershey Area, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post such an in-depth review on Trip Advisor. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. Believe it or not, today (August 7) we are changing all our pillows in every suite. We will also be doing a 3.4 million dollar renovation later this year, so everything will be brand new (not just the pillows)!
Florida
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Two bedroom suite .
Clean and roomy.
Had to check in late because room was not ready and because of this an alternate card was pre charged $350 and held over a week. If you are on a budget and on a road trip be sure to very this stuff before you book!
Very inconvenient when hilton brands have never done this before only this hotel chose to do this.

Finally checked in, fridge was broke . Had to keep our food in room across hall .
Dryers don't function well, 3 hours to dry 1 small load. At a cost of 4.50.
But good things... Breakfast was awesome and free, the staff was friendly, it was pretty clean . Pool table and checker boards were fun compliment.
On my trip back through, i chose to stay at Hampton across the street. Better deal and better room with no issues :)

• Stayed July 2014
HARHW, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Harrisburg-West Hershey Area, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Please accept our sincere apology for your suite not being ready in time. I can only imagine the frustration after waiting, you realize that the refrigerator was not functioning. I have no explanation as to your credit card being pre-charged, as we do not run any authorizations until check in. Kindly give me a call and we discuss this further. We would like to EARN back your business.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mechanicsburg
Hampton Inn by Hilton Harrisburg West
TownePlace Suites by Marriott Harrisburg West/Mechanicsburg
Homewood Suites Harrisburg East-Hershey Area
Courtyard Harrisburg West/Mechanicsburg
Wingate by Wyndham Mechanicsburg/Harrisburg West
Country Inn and Suites Harrisburg West

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Harrisburg-West Hershey Area? Share your experiences!