“Disappointing”

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Mechanicsburg
Chapel Hill, NC
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 26 June 2006

We stayed here on our way up to Woodward to pick up our daughter from camp. I specifically chose this hotel because I know I can rely on a Hampton Inn, but this was disappointing. The lobby was fine, but the rest of the hotel looked and smelled old. The manager told me the hotel is 16 years old, and it looks to me that it has not been updated. Most disappointing was that the hotel wasn't clean. The carpets needed to be cleaned and vacuumed, and the bathroom wallpaper had water stains at the bottom as if the bathroom had flooded at some point. On a positive note, the breakfast was excellent, and the staff was friendly and professional. I would choose the Wingate Inn across the street next time.

• Stayed June 2006
6 Thank NCJulie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 8 August 2005

I had to laugh when I read the review below because I also stayed in the Queen suite and my experience was not that great.

The staff was VERY nice upon checkin. We had reserved the queen suite for a nice relaxing long weekend to visit Hershey, etc. The rate was $130/night which seemed reasonable compared to other Hershey area hotels.

When we entered the room I immediately smelled mildew in the doorway/bathroom area. I didn't mention it to my husband right away, because I usually think it's just me. The bedroom sat off to the right separated by a door. The odor got better away from the entrance, but as soon as I walked in the bedroom the smell was worse.

It was late and we wanted to run to the grocery so we got directions to a nearby store and at that point I asked my husband if he noticed the smell and he replied that he did and was hoping I didn't. On the way back we stopped at the Homewoods Suites across the street but they had no vacancies. I discussed the problem with the front desk when we returned and they were VERY nice again and offered us a different suite that was directly one floor above ours. We were taken to see the room and we again smelled the mildew in the same areas as our room. Housekeeping then offered to "ionize" the room which would remove all odors - but we would have to stay out of the room for "20 minutes". We agreed because we didn't want to drive around looking for another hotel. We sat at the pool and had a drink and snacks and returned to the room 30 minutes later. The room had a very strong deodorizer smell. Perhaps due to my allergies, I began coughing and had a sore, itchy throat. I tried to take a drink but everything smelled like the deodorizer. We left the door open to the hallway to air it out for awhile, but that wasn't helping and we were both feeling bad so we decided to go outside by the pool for awhile. At that point I called the Hilton Honors reservation number and got a rate for the Hilton Harrisburg location. My husband didn't want to drive again that evening so we decided to stay for the night and then change hotels the next morning.

When I went to the front desk to explain they could not have been nicer. They offered to "comp" the room without my asking and offered to do anything else they could for us for the evening. I didn't want to bother moving to another room, thinking that if two rooms smelled of mildew odds are the others would also.

We managed to sleep through the night and checked out first thing in the morning!

The staff was the friendliest I've ever dealt with and I've stayed at a lot of hotels. Unfortunately, what good is friendly staff if the rooms are mildewed?

• Stayed August 2005
4 Thank spkjones
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 July 2005

We just returned from staying a weekend at the Hampton Inn Harrisburg West. What a wonderful hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We stayed in the Queen Size Suite which was very roomy and very clean.
The hotel offered a Hershey package that included 2 adult tickets to the park. You can also purchase extra tickets at the hotel for a discounted rate. We also recieved a free Pizza Hut pizza.

The outdoor pool was very clean and just the right temp.

The entire experience was wonderful. I would highly recommend this hotel !

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mechanicsburg
Homewood Suites by Hilton Harrisburg-West Hershey Area
TownePlace Suites by Marriott Harrisburg West/Mechanicsburg
Courtyard Harrisburg West/Mechanicsburg
Country Inn and Suites Harrisburg West
Wingate by Wyndham Mechanicsburg/Harrisburg West
Homewood Suites Harrisburg East-Hershey Area

Been to Hampton Inn by Hilton Harrisburg West? Share your experiences!