“A very nice out of the way Holiday Inn Express in West Harrisburg”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Harrisburg West
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Mechanicsburg
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel before. It is a Holiday Inn Express located not too far from Harrisburg in the west side of the river. I was going to stay at the Crowne Plaza, very close to my appointment, but the 18.00 fee to park was a deal breaker. This hotel was only 7 miles from the Crowne Plaza, so I stayed here. The hotel was very clean and updated. My room had a king size bed and the only minor complaints in the room were the lack of electrical outlets near the bed. I hate having to pull the night table out and decide, do I want the clock or a bed side light. Not a deal breaker for the future, but the lights don't have the outlets in them like some hotels do.
The TV worked well, but there was minimal light in the bathroom. I don't put makeup on, so again, that is not a deal breaker.
The typical Holiday Inn Express breakfast was good and can't find fault with it considering it's free. There was variety and that is all that counts.
I would go back to this hotel while traveling in the Harrisburg, PA area in the future.
I was not greeted as a Platinum member. No big deal.

Room Tip: There are not any restaurants nearby. You'll have to travel between 2 and 7 miles or more to get...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank TBRD113

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed two nights at this hotel while traveling to Mechanicsburg on business. The staff were extremely polite and attentive, and there are many amenities that seem to cater to business travelers. Rooms are clean and bed is adequate, breakfast was nice with some hot breakfast options. The hotel is located by a hospital / medical campus, and there is a lovely loop path which passes the hotel, medical buildings, and loops through the forest. Nice for an evening walk.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Had a very good stay here at the Holiday Inn Express in Mechanicsburg, PA.
Pros:
1. Wonderful Breakfast staff-"Daniela" even went so far as to ask what we liked! She made every effort to please. Customer service A++!
2. Indoor pool-good for me and my 4 year old, however, see below in Cons.
3. Rooms very clean! I am a little crazy about this one, so am very happy to report the rooms are very clean.
Cons:
1. While the rooms are very clean, I think the mattress was needing replacement. There was a big sag on my side of the bed, which would make sense as that was the side where most people would sit to watch TV.
2. Pool was great, however, was very cloudy, so I think the pool needs some TLC. Ph adjustment I think? I was worried I would have a hard time seeing if my son was in trouble.
3. Business center was not up to expectations. I needed to print directions and there was only one computer which was hooked up to the printer. All computers should have this ability. Front staff too busy to assist, which is understandable as it was around checkout time for other guests. There should be someone they can call for issues like this.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank HeatherF9732014
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed here for four nights in June during a business trip and was glad to find govt. rate and no pets on site. Room was large and comfortable with a sofa, desk, king sized bed, fridge, microwave and large flat screen TV. Breakfast was good, especially the cinnamon rolls and bacon. Hotel staff were very attentive, offering recommendations for dinner, and plates/utensils when we brought our dinner in one evening and ate in the breakfast area. Bathroom was a bit on the small side, but fine. I'll definitely stay here again if I return to the area.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Rose M
Reviewed 3 August 2014

While visiting friends in the Carlisle area we were unimpressed with the hotel/motel choices near the town so broadened our search and found this Holiday Inn Express closer to Harrisburg. The grounds are neatly kept and the hotel room was clean and comfortable. Their breakfast was a bit better than average but their room price was a bit higher than average.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Steve S
Reviewed 23 July 2014

During recent travels we had the chance to stay at this Holiday Inn Express just outside Harrisburg, PA. We were traveling back to upstate New York after a family reunion in Florida. I guess we had hoped for more from our stay. Things seemed adequate, but that's about it. The room was okay, but warn. The carpet wasn't clean, the bed mattress was on the hard side, etc. The breakfast in the morning was busy, which is okay, but the food choices were limited, or not available, as they were having some troubles with things like the pancake maker. The juice, especially the apple juice was watered down. Managed a bowl of Quaker oatmeal, an orange juice and coffee. In the end it was all okay, but I wouldn't go out of my way to stay there again. Their are better places in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ge0iii
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Harrisburg West, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear ge0iii,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay. Your comments are highly valuable and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Thank you for staying and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

As isbreakfast nstant theme in my reviews I am very temperature sensitive. Strike 1, the common areas were hot. The lobby, the breakfast area, the hallways. All hot. I walk into my room, and the AC was not on so it was hot. Luckily I was just dropping off my bags, freshening up, and going to dinner so I turned on the AC and headed out.

Got back 4 hours later, and it was cooler, but still a bit sad considering I set it on 60. The room didn't get truly cool until about 3 in the morning.

Overall, though, the room were nicely decorated and comfortable. Basic toiletries. Basic furniture. One gripe, the electrical outlets in the lamp were useless for my phone charger because the lamp bulges out taking up too much space. Kind of annoying. Then the other plug in the outlet didn't work so I had to plug the alarm clock and my C-PAP into the lamp and leave my phone charging on the desk across the room.

The mattress was rather stiff and old. The pillows were great. They had soft and firm marked. One firm was good.

The AC unit's fan had a rather loud rattle, which was annoying. Luckily it was constant so it basically became white noise and didn't disrupt my sleep. If it had been random I would have been calling the front desk.

The breakfast was pretty good. Sausage, biscuits, eggs, breads, fruit, yogurt, cereal, juice, coffee. Fresh, clean, and well kept.

Overall, a nice property, but they just need to make sure that their guests don't walk from hot outside to hot inside. That's annoying. Also, don't forget about the small stuff.

We only stayed here because the Courtyard was booked, and this stay didn't change my mind on that.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Benny231
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Harrisburg West, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Benny231,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel.

Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret the issues you had surrounding our cooling system. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will address these to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mechanicsburg
Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg SW-Mechanicsburg
Hampton Inn by Hilton Harrisburg West
Best Western Plus Harrisburg Mechanicsburg
Country Inn and Suites Harrisburg West
Homewood Suites by Hilton Harrisburg-West Hershey Area
Wingate by Wyndham Mechanicsburg/Harrisburg West

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Harrisburg West? Share your experiences!