“Good Thai food”

Ranked #11 of 183 Restaurants in Mechanicsburg
Price range: US$12 - US$25
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: INCEPTION 1990 ...CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA MAGAZINE AWARD BEST THAI 22 YEARS .................HARRISBURG MAGAZINE AWARD SIMPLY THE BEST THAI 17 YEARS ...............PATRIOT NEWS AWARD BEST ASIAN CUISINE
Milford, New Hampshire
“Good Thai food”
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Traveling through Mechanicsburg, PA, while on a road trip, we were directed to Bangkok Wok by our hostess. We found good food, friendly staff, good service. Would return should we pass this way again.

• Visited February 2013

• Korean first
Dillsburg, Pennsylvania
“Good, but expected a bit more, especially with the service”
Reviewed 16 March 2013

My wife and I decided to try Bangkok Wok after hearing many people talk about it. We visited on a Saturday evening, and the restaurant was very busy. We were seated in a booth near the front, and the decor, while amusing, seemed a little dated.

I will admit that we are beginners when it comes to Thai food, so when we looked at the menu, it was a bit overwhelming. Unfortunately, our waiter was not especially helpful. While I appreciate not being rushed through dinner, it took our waiter a long while to arrive to greet us and take our order, and he also did not seem interested in assisting us, even when we mentioned it was our first time there.

Everything did take quite a while to arrive, which I can understand on a busy Saturday evening. However, he did not really check in with us at any other point. The Pad Thai was large enough to share, but it seemed to be lacking something. When we asked for additional spice, the waiter brought over a shaker and didn't say anything. Also, it seemed to take a while to get a refill of a drink.

My wife had a soup that she shared was okay, but not exceptional. The spring rolls were good.

Maybe Saturday evening is not the best time to experience this restaurant for the first time, especially service-wise. I think 3 and 1/2 would be appropriate for this restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
“Ya Gotta Go”
Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

This is one of our favorite places to eat or get carry out. Try the pineapple cury, the lemongrass soup, or hoy jow with tremendous sweet chili sauce. You cannot go wrong. Great fresh fish menu...ENJOY!!

Central PA
“best East in the East”
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Our FAVORITE Thai/asian restaurant in the area. The food is fresh, attractive, and always hot and spiced as requested. Service is fabulous. We are regulars and can't get enough. Why eat asian anywhere else?

Visited March 2013
Lemoyne, Pennsylvania
“Incredible food, but problems with reservations”
Reviewed 13 February 2013

So, on a fairly typical Friday evening my wife and I, joined by a couple of friends, decided to go out to eat. We don't go out as often as we should, so every time we do - we decide to try a new place.

Unfortunately, our city's restaurant capacity seems to be lacking as of late, because it's nearly impossible to get into any restaurant on a Friday evening/weekend without a reservation. So, after checking a couple of places with lines going out the door, we called The Bangkok Wok and were told that they have tables for four, no wait, took our name and said "see you in 15 minutes!"

I have no idea what happened in the next 15 minutes, but according to the same story from the 20-odd people that basically arrived at the restaurant's doors at the same time, they were told the same thing. All had given their names for reservations, too. The waiting area was tiny, so people were basically packed like sardines waiting to be seated.

Well, enough of the negative. Let's focus on the positive, shall we?

This is a "BYOB", or bring your own bottle of alcohol, restaurant - which is great, considering how much money you save by bringing your own.

The place is family owned, and they proudly display their family pictures in the hallway across from restrooms. This really adds to the authenticity factor of this place, which we really liked. The restaurant itself is located on a mini-shopping plaza, next door to the nail salon, videogame shop and TJ Maxx. Nothing glamorous. The first thing you'll notice when you walk in is a huge aquarium with real plants and exotic fish. AWESOME.

Restrooms are tiny and.... well, they are there. So what. They were clean that night, so that's really all we cared about. I can't quite recall this, but I don't think these restrooms are handicap accessible.

It's a little bit tight in there, and decor was "eclectic", but we didn't care - the place smelled like we were in for a delightful experience of Asian cuisine.

The food is simply amazing. I'm not going to list every single thing we had tried that night, that would make this a very lengthy review. Though their menu is extensive, everything we tried tasted excellent and did not resemble microwave food, which so many chains are guilty of serving at premium prices. Though things like egg rolls may have been pre-made, they seemed to have been made from scratch.

To start, the ladies at our table picked several starters for all of us to share. Things arrived in separate plates, with three different sauces for dipping. Everything tasted awesome, was hot and fresh.

For entree I ordered duck, which is my weakness. Their duck did not disappoint! It was crispy, juicy, and not just some bits and pieces, but a true breast of a duck. I believe mine was served with noodles, with all appropriate Asian sauces and fixings. I love the way their chef uses a variety of nuts, subtly adding to the flavor of cuisine. Mine and my friend's spouses ordered vegetable stir fry, prepared with a variety of usual authentic veggies/sauces, they absolutely loved it. Everybody had compliments to say about the use of nuts in food.

There were several choices of desserts, which I don't normally pay attention to. I can tell you though, I ordered tea - and that was the best, spiced tea I've ever tried I think.

So, the good news - your own booze and high quality grub make this place fantastic. Prices are excellent as well. The four of us got completely stuffed, all for $90 plus tip.

The bad news - on a busy night you might wait about 30 minutes before you are seated, especially if your reservation is not properly reserved. People with nut allergies probably should avoid this place at all costs.

Bottom line - give this one a try!

• Visited January 2013