“Needs a little TLC”

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Mechanicsburg
Pittsburgh
“Needs a little TLC”
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I wish there was a rating a could give this hotel somewhere slightly below average but not quite poor. The hotel looks promising from the exterior, however, you will immediately see upon entering that this property is significantly overdue an overhaul.

The staff wasn't overly friendly or rude. I was not "wowed" by anyone, however, I did not feel unwelcome. The hallways of the hotel are clean, but a little outdated, and there was a strong musty smell in the stairwells. My room was just worn out. The bedding appeared to be late 90's style, and my comforter had stains and cigarette burns on it. There was about a 3 inch gap between the mattress and the headboard (which is attached to the wall) that the thin pillows would get pushed down through and fall behind the mattress. The bed was not overly comfortable, but it was not uncomfortable either. I found no signs of bed bugs or other insects in my room. The carpeting was not dirty (it passed the white socks test), but the room just did not have a clean, sparkly feeling. There was obvious wear and tear to the furniture, including a large rip in the desk chair in my room. The bathroom was clean, however, there was virtually no hot water - luke warm at best, and I took showers both at prime and off-peak water usage times. Housekeeping was fine, and nobody bothered me when I had my "Do not disturb" sign on the door (a HUGE gripe of mine is when housekeepers ignore that sign... they passed that test!).

The breakfast was nothing to write home about, but it was free with the room. They had your standard eggs, bacon or sausage, yogurt, and waffles, with a few other small items. Their "happy hour" of sorts was ok, with luke-warm Yeungling for free ... can't beat that!

The "fitness center" was a joke ... they have two treadmills (one of which does not work) and a very outdated stationary bike. It was so hot in that room that I only lasted about 10 minutes on the one working treadmill before I felt like I was going to be overcome with heat stroke and had to give it up. In contrast, the "heated" swimming pool was far too cold to use.

Really, it was just these little oversights/lack of maintenance that kept this from being a 3 or 4 star review. I got the impression that nobody at this hotel really cares too much about the place or their level of service. It just ... is. I wouldn't stay here again, but if you are a traveler on a budget looking for a place that just plain suffices, by all means give this place a shot. If you're looking to be "wowed" pay an extra $20-30 a night and go to the CBM next door.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PState216
PAHARWES, Director of Sales at Country Inn and Suites Harrisburg West, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to leave us a review.

We are in the process of updating our rooms, and I apologize that your room was not up to par. All of our updates should be completed by May-June of this year, and I hope you will pay us another visit.

Thank you!

Nicolette

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 January 2012

A clean and comfortable hotel, with friendly staff. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank hmdpa
PAHARWES, Director of Sales at Country Inn and Suites Harrisburg West, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! It's always great to know that our guests are happy during their stay with us. This spring we will be changing a few things in the hotel, so please come back to visit us again!
Caldwell, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 January 2012

We checked in for one night, our room was ready, the staff was pleasant, it was what we were expecting. We booked here because it was a little cheaper than the other ones in the area. Some of the rooms are a little dingy, and the bathrooms need updating, but they have been clean in our experience. We used the pool, and that was just alright. Of course it's not a resort, and it met our needs. It would be kind of nice if they'd put blankets on the bed that look a little nicer, though. Breakfast was included. I'd still rather go to the Hampton Inn, but it was ok.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
PAHARWES, Director of Sales at Country Inn and Suites Harrisburg West, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We will be getting new duvets and blankets for our beds in March, the new Country Inn design, so please come stay with us again!

Thank you!
NJ
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Our family was visiting relatives nearby. We have stayed at several hotels in the area and this one is now our favorite for the price. This hotel offers a nice suite with private bedroom. So I got work done using their complentary Internet while the family slept. The road seemed flooded but then again there were signs that there was flooding and in Hershey restaurants were still closed. The hotel is a great value. Complentary breakfast too. The staff was super friendly.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
10 Thank skompa
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 December 2011

I titled this review " Best kept Secret " because this hotel is nestled away from the hustle bustle like most hotels. The staff is friendly, rooms are well kept, reasonable rates, and I always look forward to returning. I travel allot and I recommend this Hotel to anyone, just save room for me when I return.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Bud F
PAHARWES, Director of Sales at Country Inn and Suites Harrisburg West, responded to this review, 12 December 2011
Dear Mr. Bud:

Yes, we will definitely save your favorite room for you for your next stay! Cannot wait to see you again!

Nicolette McBeth
Director of Sales
Reynoldsburg, OH
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Just a few miles off the PA turnpike. The road was flooded, which looks like a permanent condition, but the hotel was clean and comfortable. We asked about food delivery and the girl at the front desk didn't think there were too many places nearby. There were several pizza and Chinese places near the exit though, so we just went up there. The next morning we discovered that the next exit north had a mall and several restaurants. So do not worry about being able to find somewhere to eat. There is no view of anything and the area seems a bit industrial, but if you want a good nights sleep and a breakfast buffet with waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage and yogurt, this is your place.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank NantucketBaby
PAHARWES, Director of Sales at Country Inn and Suites Harrisburg West, responded to this review, 2 December 2011
Thank you for writing a review on our hotel. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope you'll be back in the area to visit us!
Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2011

although tucked away on an industrial road, this hotel met all expectations - efficient and helpful reception staff, excellent room, free wifi/internet. breakfast.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write about us. Please come visit us again soon!