I wish there was a rating a could give this hotel somewhere slightly below average but not quite poor. The hotel looks promising from the exterior, however, you will immediately see upon entering that this property is significantly overdue an overhaul.
The staff wasn't overly friendly or rude. I was not "wowed" by anyone, however, I did not feel unwelcome. The hallways of the hotel are clean, but a little outdated, and there was a strong musty smell in the stairwells. My room was just worn out. The bedding appeared to be late 90's style, and my comforter had stains and cigarette burns on it. There was about a 3 inch gap between the mattress and the headboard (which is attached to the wall) that the thin pillows would get pushed down through and fall behind the mattress. The bed was not overly comfortable, but it was not uncomfortable either. I found no signs of bed bugs or other insects in my room. The carpeting was not dirty (it passed the white socks test), but the room just did not have a clean, sparkly feeling. There was obvious wear and tear to the furniture, including a large rip in the desk chair in my room. The bathroom was clean, however, there was virtually no hot water - luke warm at best, and I took showers both at prime and off-peak water usage times. Housekeeping was fine, and nobody bothered me when I had my "Do not disturb" sign on the door (a HUGE gripe of mine is when housekeepers ignore that sign... they passed that test!).
The breakfast was nothing to write home about, but it was free with the room. They had your standard eggs, bacon or sausage, yogurt, and waffles, with a few other small items. Their "happy hour" of sorts was ok, with luke-warm Yeungling for free ... can't beat that!
The "fitness center" was a joke ... they have two treadmills (one of which does not work) and a very outdated stationary bike. It was so hot in that room that I only lasted about 10 minutes on the one working treadmill before I felt like I was going to be overcome with heat stroke and had to give it up. In contrast, the "heated" swimming pool was far too cold to use.
Really, it was just these little oversights/lack of maintenance that kept this from being a 3 or 4 star review. I got the impression that nobody at this hotel really cares too much about the place or their level of service. It just ... is. I wouldn't stay here again, but if you are a traveler on a budget looking for a place that just plain suffices, by all means give this place a shot. If you're looking to be "wowed" pay an extra $20-30 a night and go to the CBM next door.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centrally located between Hershey, Gettysburg & Carlisle. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Country Inn and Suites Harrisburg West reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Country Inn And Suites Harrisburg-West
- Country Inn & Suites Harrisburg-West Hotel Mechanicsburg
- Country Inn Mechanicsburg
- Country Inn Harrisburg West
- Mechanicsburg Country Inn