“Be Careful of scams- not hotels fault”

Country Inn and Suites Harrisburg West
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Mechanicsburg
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Received a phone call in the evening from someone calling the room phone stating he was the hotel manager and that he was very sorry but that there was a problem with billing; he was short staffed, the new front desk clerk had accidently deleted most of the guest reservations and that I would need to come down to the lobby and give my information again or he could help me out and take the information over the phone as the front desk was very busy. He also offered a 45% discount on the bill for my trouble. (!? 45%- that was a tip off right there something was not right) There was no way I was giving this guy any information- but I played along and asked what he needed he said my full name, address and credit card number, I asked if I could not do this in the morning he was adamant that I would have to come to the front desk tonight or I could do it over the phone; he told me he had called his district manager and that for insurance reasons it needed to be done tonight. I said ok maybe later I will come down, I asked where he was calling from and he said the front desk in the lobby but he had a southern accent- weird for the middle of PA. He was pretty pushy, I told him I was not giving him any credit card numbers over the phone and he kept the charade up until the end saying that's fine Mam' I understand but you will have to come to the lobby. I was thinking yea right- so I called the lobby and the girl who answered said that this had happened before and that there was no problem with billing or a manager in the lobby with her. If there is a history of this going on- people checking in should be told of this scam- I can imagine that many people would have bought this fraud and given out financial information.

Other than that the hotel was ok, no HBO, they did not make the bed or take out the garbage, the plumbing was noisy. But the staff were nice, the bed was comfortable, the room was clean. They had a microwave, fridge, coffee maker, iron & board, hairdryer, they had some toothpaste for me because I forgot mine. I did not really have any complaints- it was not luxury I was looking for, just a clean, safe place to sleep while I was away on business. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Country Inn and Suites Harrisburg West

Reviewed 1 April 2013 via mobile

Checked into the hotel late at night and the guy at the front desk was very nice and helpful with check in and directions! Went to my room witch looked clean but notice I only had two pillows! I called the front desk and John at the front desk brought me extra pillows very fast!
In the morning I came to the front desk with my bill that was put under the door but no one was at the desk! I waited for almost 6 mins till the girl at the desk came from the breakfast area (think her name was Kat or something like that) She was very rude and told me I could go if my bill was ok! She acted like I was interrupting her! Not a great start to my day and made me not want to return to the hotel!
Costumer service and a clean room is what makes me want to stay at a hotel. The rooms at this hotel could use some work but the only saving grace at the hotel was the guy at the desk at night( john)! This hotel could use a new desk person in the morning!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Gypsye
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Go early for the breakfast. It goes fast and they don't replace all the items. There was no maid service the one day. So had to ask for fresh towels and wash clothes. Easy access to the highway. Several close areas to eat.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 12 March 2013 via mobile

Overall a very nice hotel. Indoor pool was on the small side, but it was clean. Breakfast was a little scarce on Saturday(not stocked at all, not even fresh fruit) Sunday was well stocked and plenty of variety. Room was very clean. The suite was nice, very quiet in the bedroom while kids played in the living area. I would definitely go back again.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 20 January 2013

receptionist was very cool, place looks like its kept up to date. Room size was bigger than expected, perfectly clean, bed and pillows comfortable. nothing at all to complain about, short review because it does what it's supposed to.

Room Tip: ask for room away from highway if bothered by noise, for me the highway sounds like the ocean
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MarkAXA
Reviewed 16 September 2012

The bathroom smelled like it was dosed w/bleach & no ventilation. I had to use my Bath & Body spray to make it bearable. The bathroom door did not fit the doorway properly, so it would make a loud noise when you try to close it. We also found a cricket on the curtain when we first went to close the blind and the previous guest's business card under the pillow. That was the first night...
As for breakfast, I went without my husband with our 3 kids (7 1/2, 3 1/2 & 1 yr old). The breakfast area is a small area so everyone saw us when we stood by the entrance to look for seats. I saw a couple sitting across from each other in a 4 person table. There was another lady sitting alone in a 4 person table but had food in front of the empty seats to. They were a box of cereal (unopened) in a bowl. She pretended she didn't see me & my kids. I was going to just wait outside until a party walks out but my 2nd child complained that he was hungry. I went back in there and just took a seat at a 4 person table with two empty seats. One was occupied by the man on his laptop & the other was his computer bag. He didn't see me by the entrance bc he had his back face torwards me. He told me that I can take seats but his wife and kids may come back. They came back but the wife told me they ate when she saw me. I was very surprised to find guests like these in a place that's supposed to be family friendly.
We came back to a room that was not cleaned and was told that it should've been done even though we left at 11am. The man who had rode the elevator with me told me that the front desk had lied to me bc he overhead other people complianed too and found out no cleaning svc was here for today. We all had to take our garbage to the front desk and ask for additional clean towels. I was joking with my husband he still has to take the garbage out when we are on vacation. I was ok with the 1/2 hr driving to the park but the svc & cleanliness were not sufficient. I rather pay more to get good svc & a clean room to sleep in. Very disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2012
Carlson Hotels C, Specialist, Online Customer Support at Country Inn and Suites Harrisburg West, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2012

I am sorry for what you had experienced during your time at our hotel. Your comments are something we take seriously!

Your comments will be forwarded to management to make them aware of your situation, so that we can increase guest satisfaction, and hopefully in the future, meet your expectations.

Please feel free to contact us at CCare@CarlsonRezidor.com if you would like to tell us more about your experience.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

Spent two nights while attending the Carlisle corvette gathering. Although one side of the hotel is close to highway, noise was not a problem, breakfast was fine with plenty of choices. Desk staff recommended a fine local resturant.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank vrrooom
PAHARWES, Director of Sales at Country Inn and Suites Harrisburg West, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2012

Hello and thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor!

I would like to also thank you for the kind remarks. We are so glad that we could have you with us for the biggest event of the year-- Carlisle Car Show!

We will look forward to seeing you next year!