“This Country Inn is Out”

Country Inn and Suites Harrisburg West
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Mechanicsburg
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Country Inn is about halfway between an Econolodge and and an Embassy Suites. This one seems typical--it's clean and comfortable enough, with a bare-bones free breakfast e.g., (inedible powdered eggs, decent oatmeal, great coffee). When we walked in, there was a less than enthusiastic person behind the desk who robotically checked us in. Efficient, but it felt like a motel experience. The room was decorated in a spartan manner, more like a prison cell than a suite, but it was clean enough and the bed was nice and firm. But we got a rude awakening the next morning (a Saturday) at 5:58 when the guest in the next room took a shower. The water sound was so loud in our room that it was like a fire alarm going off. Just brutal at that hour -- and for 20 minutes! We never made it back to sleep.

Then there was the price issue. I responded to an email special for an $82 suite but when I tried to book it, the system told me sorry, we've sold all the $82 suites. Would you reserve it for $89? Whatever. It's still cheaper than the mid-level alternatives, but why piss off your customers for seven bucks? Charge what you quote and people don't ding you on tripadvisor.

At least they have a pool and whirlpool, I thought. Except when we got there, a sign said that all that was closed for repairs. Funny the email ad never mentioned that.

This brand has potential, I think, but maybe little annoyances like these are the reason that the Country Inn in my hometown of Hershey was just sold to Hilton. The sign no longer says "Country" but "Hampton."

Eliminate all the stuff your guests hate and we'll come back. The next time in the Mechanicsburg area, we'll probably make another choice. It will be well worth the extra $20.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael810
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Country Inn and Suites Harrisburg West, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services. Your comments were forwarded to the hotel management for review to ensure each issue is addressed.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend to attend the Great Outdoors Sportsman Show. After we got home my husband realized he had left his two coats, one black leather and one ski coat in the closet. I called the hotel to ask if anyone had turned the coats into lost and found and they flat out told me that no other patron had rented that room and the only people that had been in this room since we checked out were the hotel staff (housekeeping). So, I asked them to double check the room and they still claimed they did not find them. I know for a fact that these coats were in the closet as they weren't worn the whole time and were not in any of our luggage. I am positive someone that works at this hotel is being very dishonest and I would hope that their manager would handle this accordingly. If you decide to stay, and forget a personal belonging don't expect to get it back. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
CarlsonRezidor, online customer support at Country Inn and Suites Harrisburg West, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

We apologize for the disappointing service you received from the staff. We want to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive the best service even after they have left the property.

Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

I've book a reservation through hotels.com a couple of days ago. I called to see if they received the reservation. When I called I was greeted by a rude guy that told me " you have the wrong hotel and I'm not hotels.com." I told him I just wanted to check to see if they received the reservation and he didn't have to give me sass. He hung up on me. I called back and asked to speak to the general manager and he told me didn't you just get the voice mail?
I'm just in disbelief wooooow. I just had a simply question. And everything just went left. FYI if you don't like your job sir get another one. I didn't want to believe the distasteful reviews on trip advisor but wow. Lesson learned.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Country Inn and Suites Harrisburg West, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

We apologize for the disappointing service you received from the staff. We want to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive the best service. To discuss your concern further, please contact Corporate Customer Care

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Rooms are very clean, service comes with a smile and prices are very reasonable. I Good place to stay in the area. You'll need a car to get around. Many good restaurants close by and on Carlisle Pike. If you don't like the restaurant chains, there is fancier fare to be had in downtown Harrisburg. 15 minutes from the Airport make it perfect for business travel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lucy_Ott0
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I've been staying at this place many times over the last year for business. Rooms are very clean, service comes with a smile and prices are very reasonable. If you need it extra quiet, get a room facing the parking lot and hills. The suites are also very nice but face the highway. Thus suites are a good deal for most but if you are extra noise sensitive than this is not your option. Good place to stay in the area. You'll need a car to get around. Many good restaurants close by and on Carlisle Pike. If you don't like the restaurant chains, there is fancier fare to be had in downtown Harrisburg. 15 minutes from the Airport make it perfect for business travel. Overall I can recommend it to any budget conscious yet discerning traveller.

Room Tip: If you need it extra quiet, get a room facing the parking lot and hills.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tackholland
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We spent two nights here during a busy time when people are bringing their kids to college. The second night when there were only two of us, we were able to get a handicapped accessible room since I am in a wheelchair due to a leg injury. The management made sure this would work the second night and had the room cleaned asap from the previous night. Both nights the rooms were clean and comfortable, although the first night we had an adjoining connection and their TV was audible in our room - why we hate adjoining rooms. The bathroom the second night was spacious and wonderful to be able to use in a wheelchair, and the detachable shower head made my life incredibly easier. Until you are disabled, you don't understand how difficult it is to travel and how valuable handicapped accessible rooms are! The breakfast has plenty of good choices and the hot items were different both mornings. Perhaps the only downside is the small lobby sitting area because the breakfast area (which is also quite small) was kept closed. Overall, we had a very good experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We have stayed in this hotel for the past 4 years when going to the Corvettes at Carlisle event. The staff is very pleasant. The rooms are very nice - beds are comfortable and rooms are clean. Continental breakfast offers a variety of choices. The pool and hot tub are clean and well maintained. We have no complaints about this hotel, that is why we keep going back.

Room Tip: Rooms that don't face the highway are quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple