“Great overnight stay”

Courtyard Harrisburg West/Mechanicsburg
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Mechanicsburg
“Great overnight stay”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

My husband and I stayed in a suite on Christmas Eve. The room was clean and quiet. There was plenty of space and a cozy bedroom. The staff was very polite and friendly. I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for one on the side of the hotel that does not face the highway.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
csczypta, General Manager at Courtyard Harrisburg West/Mechanicsburg, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
So glad to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your stay here at the Courtyard!! Being comfortable is one of our main goals here at the hotel as well as having a friendly staff. Glad that you were able to have a great experience with both the amentities of the hotel as well as the staff. See you on the next trip to the Central PA area!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I stayed at the Courtyard Harrisburg West for one night in December 2013 for a business trip. First off, the hotel is in a bit of a strange area. While the Hampton down the street is in a business park, the Courtyard sits between a dairy processing facility and a residential neighborhood. Other than leading to a funny parking lot configuration, this didn't impact the quality of my stay.

The hotel and rooms are clean. The bathroom was a little bit on the small side, but is consistent with 1990s vintage Courtyard property designs. The room was nicely appointed with an LCD TV, which swiveled to be viewable from the bed. The bed was comfortable and soft, so I had no complaints there.

The quality that leads me to rank the Courtyard as average was the proximity to the highway. Upon checking in, I asked for a room facing away from the highway. The attendant at the desk informed me that the hotel was sold out for the night and that my room had been assigned on the highway side and there there was nothing she could do. It was a little bit of an odd answer for a traveler with a high loyalty status who was arriving shortly after check-in time, but I won't split hairs. (She also neglected to provide me with a breakfast voucher, which is one of the loyalty perks at my level, but again, not a big deal).

The reviews on TripAdvisor are fully accurate regarding the noise level facing the highway. Even with the drapes closed, the hum and roar of traffic was omnipresent. I slept with a white noise app on my phone running all night to drown out the sound, which was a fairly successful strategy. I'd recommend being very, very weary of getting stuck in a room on the highway side if you're a light sleeper or need a silent room to be comfortable.

If I'm in the area again, I'd have no issue staying at the property a second time-- but I will definitely bring the white noise app!

Room Tip: Highway side is very noisy, particularly on the upper floors.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
csczypta, General Manager at Courtyard Harrisburg West/Mechanicsburg, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Thank you ohjb for your feedback. We know that the road noise can be an issue for some of our guests and try to assign rooms to those that request rooms facing our courtyard. Unfortunately, that does not always work out as we are limited on the number of rooms that we have on the backside of the hotel. We do have whitenoise machines built into the alarm clocks in every room on our highway side of the hotel for future reference so that you will not have to use the app on your phone. I am glad to hear everything else was great during your stay! Look forward to seeing you again on a future trip to the area!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 December 2013

This is an older Courtyard. They don't have the coffee shop, a bar, or the touchscreens. The staff makes up for the failings. The night staff took great care of me when I left for work at the navy yard at 0'dark thirty every morning. After the first few nights, they had acclimated to my schedule and had coffee ready at 3am for me. They were very helpful and I will return after my next tour.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Glad to hear JohnP that the night staff did such a wonderful job making sure everything you needed was taken care of. Most often at that hour, the staff go unnoticed with no one really complimenting them. It 's with great pleasure to hear that they knocked it out of the park for you! Hope to see you again on a future trip to the Central PA area!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I rarely travel for work but had to last week. Blindly picked this hotel based on location. Boy, did I pick well! I am OCD and a germaphobe, but this was the cleanest hotel room I have ever stayed in. The hotel staff went out of their way to treat me like family, and slept like a baby (I have insomnia). The bed was wonderful. The breakfast food was great. I can't find a single bad thing to say. It was an excellent place to stay!

Green Features: If you don't want your towels replaced, like after only 1 or 2 uses, leave them on the towelrack. For sheets, they will replace if you want, but won't until after a few days. Very good for the environment.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Hello DenaMayB! So glad that your felt everything was clean and in working order while staying with us recently. Most importantly I am glad that the staff treated you well. We put alot of policies and procedures in place to ensure the staff know what they are doing but treating people like family is something that cannot be taught; it's simply a quality that people are born with. Glad to hear the staff did an excellent job!
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I really liked the hotel but was not able to enjoy my stay due to the constant highway noise. The hotel has a continental and a full breakfast. In addition; the rooms were comfortable and well appointed. Bonefish Grill and Texas Roadhouse are close by. The front desk was pleasant and the hotel had complementary coffee and tea.

Room Tip: Ask for the courtyard side that may be a little quieter.... not 100 % sure though.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank virtualGoat
Thank you virtualGoat for your feedback regarding the noise. Being near the highway can have it's advantages and disadvantages. While we try to do our best to accommodate all requests, sometimes we are just not able to. I am not sure if you noticed, but our rooms on the highway side of the building actually come equipped with a whitenoise machines in the room. It's built into the alarm clock to help drown out the noise. Hope to see you again on a future trip to the area!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Was visiting our daughter at Messiah College and found that this Courtyard is very much up to the high standards of most Courtyards. Big room with two Queens. Helpful staff. It was nice that it had an indoor pool and hot tub. Pool is small though - not good for exercising - just relaxing. Equipment in exercise room worked well.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Christy M, Director of Sales at Courtyard Harrisburg West/Mechanicsburg, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you when you are in town again visiting your daughter at Messiah College. Safe travels!
Bradley Beach, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We came in for just one night but would happily have stayed longer. Beautiful hotel, clean, spacious rooms, friendly and accommodating staff. My small child had a terrible allergic reaction and the staff was very helpful in the middle of the night to direct me to the nearest 24 hour store for medication. I've been a loyal Marriott customer for many, many years, and I will continue to be for a long time. We'll be back to this hotel, in particular.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
csczypta, General Manager at Courtyard Harrisburg West/Mechanicsburg, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
AS0525, thank you for your kind words. I am glad to hear that my associates were able to assist you with finding a 24 hour pharmacy. As a parent myself, I know how being in a strange city can already be somewhat stressful, but than having something happen while you were here can make it 10X's worse. I hope that all is well with your little one and look forward to seeing you on a future trip to the area. Thank you for being Marriott Loyal!