“Gracious owners in a well appointed B&B”

Alpenhof Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Media B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This is our second time staying here and we are glad we did. After touring The Barnes and the Philadelphia Museum of Art we needed a break from the city. Alpenhoff is in the country less than 1/2 an hour from Philadelphia and well situated to Downingtown and other cultural points of interest. Ridley Park is nearby for hiking and picnicking. Alpenhoff has generous community rooms as well as lovely well maintained gardens and an outdoor pool. Our host Roland brought out citronella candles for us at night as we sat by the well lit pool and, as it was my birthday, he offered me some wine from his ample stock.
We had stayed in Monica's Room on our first visit and this time we stayed upstairs in Otto's Room. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms are well appointed, however there is no place to hang up your clothes in Otto's Room (I can't remember about Monica's Room). The bathroom in Otto's Room is tiny but well appointed and there is a spacious shower. The bathroom door slides on rungs and if you are not careful it can rattle at night. Otto's Room does face the road and if you are sensitive to noise as I am it might do better to choose a room that is not on the street, but all in all it was not very noisy on a Weds night apart from the occasional truck.
Judy is in charge of breakfast and was very accommodating to all. I had wanted a gluten free breakfast and so asked for a poached egg on spinach and any sauteed vegetables which she said was no problem but because she was enamored with a famous guest I guess she forgot the veg and of course I did not remind her as I was engrossed in conversation.
When we travel we have a cooler in the car and Judy kindly allowed us to put our ice blocks in her freezer.
If you like comfort in the country, this place is for you.

Room Tip: Otto's Room is tiny, well appointed and comfortable but if traffic noise is a concern choose a r...
1  Thank Kelleygirl2

Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I wanted a base from which to explore the suburbs of Philadelphia. We could not have found a more inviting place than the Alpenhof B&B. Set in a beautifully wooded area of Media, within an easy commute to the city, the Alpenhof B&B was perfect. Judy and Roland, the innkeepers, were gracious and very accommodating. Our room, though somewhat small, was very comfortable. The shower was recently renovated and was great as was the high tech lighting in the room. The breakfast menu was almost "anything you want" and prepared perfectly. The grounds of the B&B were beautifully landscaped. The innkeepers were knowledgeable about the area
and made several suggestions which proved helpful. If you wish to stay within an easy drive/
ride of Philadelphia and in a town with a lively downtown vibe, Media and the Alpenhof would work perfectly.

Room Tip: We had Roland's room on the second floor and were very comfortable. At breakfast all the guests...
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We've been taking my parents on a yearly B&B weekend for almost a decade now, and my father proclaimed the Alpenhof "The Best Ever." Roland, the owner, is a multi-talented and very agreeable man, and Judy, who does the cooking and much of the conversing, is simply amazing. The place itself is a sight to see--a converted stone barn on the outside, with incredible decor inside. The grounds are absolutely stunning, with flowers everywhere. I don't know how Roland and friends manage to keep up with everything; my mother, an avid gardener, was very impressed. There's even a swimming pool. A great variety of birds--jays, cardinals, finches, and more twittered away throughout the day.

The rooms were more than ample. My parents had the master suite, and it was all they could ask for. My dad's only complaint, common to B&Bs and most hotels, is that watching TV comfortably is a challenge--a minor matter. We were in Heidi's room, which was not overly large, but very comfortable for two people. Both rooms had private baths, modern and clean, with copious amounts of hot water. The beds were comfortable (my wife and I, who are allergic to down pillows, requested and were promptly delivered foam ones for the second night) and I slept great.

The breakfasts were delightful, both for the food and the conversation with the other guests. It seems that only nice people have heard about the Alpenhof, and I hope it stays that way. Judy is an excellent cook, and we were treated with fresh fruit, and lots of breakfast options--eggs and omelets with many different fillings, French toast, pancakes, waffles, freshly-baked pastry, bacon, sausage and more. The Sunday eggs Benedict were a treat. Everything was fresh and delicious.

Special thanks to Judy for setting up a place for us on the balcony on Saturday evening so that we could relax, have some Chinese food brought in after a long and tiring day in Philadelphia (access to the city is easy), and converse and laugh. It was a wonderful stay in a unique setting with excellent service. I'd recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Span_pro
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I researched the Bed and Breakfasts in the Phila area and found Alpenhof B&B in Media PA and decided to give it a try and I am sure glad I did, Judy and Roland, the Innkeepers, were phenomenal! We stayed in the Garden Cottage because we loved the location, which basically was in the middle of their amazing garden. The cottage was secluded, quiet, peaceful and very tranquil. The cottage had all the amenities you could possibly need/use/want and then some. It had a queen size bed, and a trundle bed; one half bathroom off the queen bedroom and a full bath. The full bath had the most amazing shower with a rain shower head that felt like heaven. There was no such thing as a "quick" shower in there, trust me! The breakfasts were amazing, anything you could possibly want, eggs, made to order, omelets any way, with whatever your heart desired; pancakes, waffles, bacon, sausage, and homemade bread and homemade pastry! They have a beautiful pool, but we kept so busy that we never had the time to experience the very inviting pool. We will definitely go back and we will definitely book the cottage again. Alpenhof B&B is definitely a "cant miss" B&B in Media PA.

Room Tip: I like the Garden Cottage because of the tranquility, privacy and peacefulness, I cant comment on th...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank NYC_Girl_Forever
Reviewed 27 June 2014

My husband and I enjoyed our much-needed getaway at Alpenhof. Lovely B & B, warm hospitality, beautiful flower gardens and delicious food. Absolutely perfect place to relax for a few days. Thank you Roland and Judy!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We needed a relaxing, romantic getaway from work, projects, children, grandchildren, even our dog! We discovered Alpenhof B & B on the internet and were intrigued by the history of the property, as well as the amenities offered. We chose the Rock Garden Cottage for complete privacy and were delighted with the cottage and the surrounding trees, gardens and songbirds. Judy greeted us on arrival and was a warm and welcoming hostess throughout our three-night stay. Roland was friendly, fun and eager to answer all our questions about the fascinating history of the house and gardens. The food was fresh, home cooked and absolutely delicious. We will definitely return to Alpenhof and will highly recommend it highly to our friends and family.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stumbled upon this B&B several months ago and filed it away as a neat place to take my wife for a close getaway for our Anniversary. We live less than 10 miles away but felt completely away and unburdened. The rooms are opulent, the grounds are beautiful and Judy, Roland and Anh were the perfect hosts. Their breakfast was delicious with more choices than most local restaurants. The fresh fruit hit the spot! We will be making this a recurring place to visit! Make sure you take the time to talk to Roland and Judy about the rich history of this almost 300 year old structure. Thanks for a great weekend!

John & Stacy

Room Tip: We stayed in the Master Suite which was really neat with 15' ceilings and a killer view of the t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank HavertownRealtor
Roland19063, Owner at Alpenhof Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thanks for taking the time to write us a review. It was great to meet you both. We look forward to seeing you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Media
The Inn at Swarthmore
#2 of 25 in Philadelphia
The Inn at Grace Winery
The Inn at Grace Winery
#1 of 1 in Glen Mills

Been to Alpenhof Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!