“Charming”

Alpenhof Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Media B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Very comfortable and beautiful bed and breakfast. So nice to walk around the grounds and by the pool and view the flowers and landscape. Judy and Roland are very friendly and accommodating. Delicious breakfasts too! Choice of different rooms all unique.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Alpenhof Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 27 July 2014

This was my fourth time staying at Alpenhof. Each time it has been wonderful. Judy and Roland are terrific and will do whatever they can to make you feel at home. This past stay I had to catch an early flight and wasn't going to be able to stay for breakfast on my last morning, so Judy left me some baked goods in my room the evening before I left to take with me. That is a special touch. The rooms are comfortable, very clean, and the breakfast can't be beat!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed in the Master Suite - a large room with a comfy bed, a sofa and lots of interesting decorating. Not only were our accommodations excellent, the grounds were beautiful and a joy to explore. We were in town for a wedding and didn't have time to enjoy to pool but had we stayed longer, it would have been lovely to just sit around and relax.
Breakfast was delicious and surprising to me, you have lots of options, eggs, french toast, pancakes, waffles etc., all freshly made. The owners and Judy are friendly and helpful. This is the best B&B we ever stayed in.

Room Tip: You need to look at their website and see which room best meets your needs.
1  Thank Penelope021
Reviewed 27 July 2014

If Media, PA is in you travel plans, the Alpenhof B&B is must. Starting with the beautifully landscaped exterior and following on to the expansive and gorgeously appointed rooms, there is nothing lacking for a comfortable and luxurious stay. When I arrived, I was greeted in the parking lot by Roland, one of the owners, who offered to take my bags, and then escorted me to my room. He also gave me a brief tour of the facility. I stayed in the Grand Master suite, which was spectacular. A very large bedroom with a very comfortable king sized bed, tastefully decorated with antique furniture and featuring a glass wall and slider leading out to a large deck overlooking the pool and the beautiful landscape. The 50" flat screen TV was state of the art with over 100 channels available.
Off the master bedroom was a small bedroom with single bed suitable for a child or 3rd guest. There is a large walk in closet, enough drawer space to stay a month, and a spectacular master bathroom. The bathroom was large, bright and cheerful with a toilet, bidet, double sinks and an enormous shower with multiple shower heads and a shelf with beautiful plants. It felt like you were showering in a garden. The bathroom had a high cathedral ceiling, with skylights and the shower was enclosed by glass bricks, which gave the whole environment an airy open feel.
I think this is the largest accommodation in the main house, but I did get to see another room, the Master Suite, which though not quite as large, was just as nice in terms of furnishings, etc.
Their is also a guest cottage on premises that is pet friendly.
The breakfast was over the top. Fresh fruit and coffee cake to start, followed by a complete, cooked to Oder, breakfast offering I had a mushroom, ham and onion Omelet, but eggs Benedict and cinnamon French toast were offered along with any style of eggs you might want.
There is also a comfortable living room in the main house for relaxin for reading a book.
The hosts were extremely gracious and went out of their way to make sure you were always taken care of.
The Grand Master suite was a little expensive, but worth every penny. There are other, less expensive rooms which are extremely nice.

1  Thank Lewis R
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Alpenhof is a delightful & charming bed & breakfast tucked into a hillside just a short distance outside of Philadelphia but miles away from the hubbub of city life. You would think you were the English countryside. Warm & friendly hosts welcomed & gave perfect recommendations for a last minute dinner in Media the night of our stay. A comfortable cozy bed & the hearty delicious breakfast in the company of the other guests, rounded out our stay. We would highly recommend the Alpenhof!! Christine & Jim

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This is our second time staying here and we are glad we did. After touring The Barnes and the Philadelphia Museum of Art we needed a break from the city. Alpenhoff is in the country less than 1/2 an hour from Philadelphia and well situated to Downingtown and other cultural points of interest. Ridley Park is nearby for hiking and picnicking. Alpenhoff has generous community rooms as well as lovely well maintained gardens and an outdoor pool. Our host Roland brought out citronella candles for us at night as we sat by the well lit pool and, as it was my birthday, he offered me some wine from his ample stock.
We had stayed in Monica's Room on our first visit and this time we stayed upstairs in Otto's Room. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms are well appointed, however there is no place to hang up your clothes in Otto's Room (I can't remember about Monica's Room). The bathroom in Otto's Room is tiny but well appointed and there is a spacious shower. The bathroom door slides on rungs and if you are not careful it can rattle at night. Otto's Room does face the road and if you are sensitive to noise as I am it might do better to choose a room that is not on the street, but all in all it was not very noisy on a Weds night apart from the occasional truck.
Judy is in charge of breakfast and was very accommodating to all. I had wanted a gluten free breakfast and so asked for a poached egg on spinach and any sauteed vegetables which she said was no problem but because she was enamored with a famous guest I guess she forgot the veg and of course I did not remind her as I was engrossed in conversation.
When we travel we have a cooler in the car and Judy kindly allowed us to put our ice blocks in her freezer.
If you like comfort in the country, this place is for you.

Room Tip: Otto's Room is tiny, well appointed and comfortable but if traffic noise is a concern choose a r...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kelleygirl2
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I wanted a base from which to explore the suburbs of Philadelphia. We could not have found a more inviting place than the Alpenhof B&B. Set in a beautifully wooded area of Media, within an easy commute to the city, the Alpenhof B&B was perfect. Judy and Roland, the innkeepers, were gracious and very accommodating. Our room, though somewhat small, was very comfortable. The shower was recently renovated and was great as was the high tech lighting in the room. The breakfast menu was almost "anything you want" and prepared perfectly. The grounds of the B&B were beautifully landscaped. The innkeepers were knowledgeable about the area
and made several suggestions which proved helpful. If you wish to stay within an easy drive/
ride of Philadelphia and in a town with a lively downtown vibe, Media and the Alpenhof would work perfectly.

Room Tip: We had Roland's room on the second floor and were very comfortable. At breakfast all the guests...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Media
Staybridge Suites Wilmington - Brandywine Valley
#2 of 2 in Media
Brandywine River Hotel
Brandywine River Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chadds Ford

Been to Alpenhof Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!