“Phenomenal! Service AND Great Food still exist in the USA!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mendenhall Inn

Mendenhall Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Mendenhall Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Mendenhall
Price range: US$0 - US$45
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Groups, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hillendale
Description: Dining at the award winning Mendenhall Inn stands alone as one of the great destinations in the Brandywine Valley as you return to a time of classic elegance & charm. Entrees borrowed from French & classic American cuisine make dining at The Mendenhall Inn a truly memorable experience. Enjoy our all new family night menu Sunday - Thursday. Outside dining, weather permitting.
Wilmington, Delaware
“Phenomenal! Service AND Great Food still exist in the USA!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

It's been forever since I've been to the Mendenhall Inn (the restaurant not the banquet/catering facilities). Everyday there are great specials, discounted and creative. Any day of the week, wine BYOB are welcome. The wine list is limited but has reasonably priced items. The wines offer no particular depth in selection, but enough to satisfy most diners.

We ordered the Shrimp Dumplings (4) $10....they are house-made shrimp wonton with the sweet chili sauce.....Excellent. The Hors d'oeuvres for Two $18 is a spectalular deal and the very highest quality meaty Crabcake, two of the best rolls of Smoked Salmon, 4 Clams Casino and 4 HUGE Shrimp Cocktail.

All items are a la carte but a dinner salad can be added for only $3.50. My 6oz Filet Mignon was cooked perfectly to order with my option of 4 large seared Sea Scallops in butter sauce $30 (Filet only was $24), served with a Asparagus and piped mashed potatoes. The Prime Rib was outstanding. The are incredible and numerous desserts, and tableside creations, like Bananas Foster.

I had the end of all ends of a great dinner. The Keoke Coffee (Brandy & Kahlua) $10 was the best I've ever had and considering there were 3 huge ladles of brandy and Kahlua each, with fresh whipped cream.......It is the Deal of the Century.

Live piano in the dining room on Friday and Saturday nights. The adjacent tavern room also serves lighter fare. Service is formal and professional. A very safe bet for a flawless meal, special occasion or romantic dinner. A pure winner!

2 drinks per person and all this $146 before tip.

• Visited July 2013

West Chester, Pa
“Hit or Miss”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

Another reviewer noted it was not consistent. I 2nd that comment. We had a really good brunch there but our dinner recently lacked any flair. In fact, we both ordered a salmon dish. Both my wife and I agreed it was totally bland. Great portions, but no taste. Appetizers were decent (crab cake). Server was great but was really preoccupied with a group in the bar area and we had to flag down someone to pay the bill, since we were headed to a concert at Longwood Gardens. I'd recommend this for brunch, but not a dinner.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Bernardsville, New Jersey
“WEEKEND AWAY FOR A WEDDING”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

We dined at this restaurant the night before we were attending a wedding here. I had made reservations on Open Table which was very convenient. It didn't seem that we really needed reservations as the restaurant was only half full. We went with another couple. Both my boyfriend and I had the Maryland Crab Soup. When it came to the table, I wasn't sure I was going to like it as I didn't expect it to be a tomato based soup. However, to my surprise it wasn't bad. . For dinner, both my boyfriend and I had the crab cakes. They were loaded with crab and it was quite a large portion on the plate. They were good. For dessert my boyfriend ordered the chocolate covered mousse with a peanut butter botttom. It was a little disappointing because it should have had a harder shell on the cover of the mousse and probably a crunchier bottom to it. I felt the menu selection was huge. The negative I felt was that almost everything either had a Jack Daniels sauce, a saffron cream sauce or was on a bed of spinach. I would have preferred a smaller menu and something more creative. Overall, I if I was to be back in the area again, I would most likely pass on this restaurant. It wasn't that it was horrible, but for the money, I would have rather have gone somewhere else.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank 01ritz
Barrington, Illinois
“Great Bar Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

The Bar came highly recommended and did not disappoint. Happy hour drafts were just what was needed after a long day of sightseeing. I happened to visit on a Monday nite. What fun with complimentary shrimp appetizers and a bar filled with locals and colorful conversation! The special that nite was a hot beef sandwich--popular and delicious. Thoroughly enjoyable evening!

• Visited May 2013
Arlington, Virginia
“Charming atmosphere, but food is not good”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

The atmosphere of the dining room is quiet and charming, and the wait staff were pleasant.
I ordered Three from the Sea, an Ahi tuna steak, a crab cake, and 2 scallops. The Ahi tuna was overcooked and did not have much flavor. The scallops were also overcooked and there was too much sauce. The crab cake was OK.
My husband ordered the surf and turf, a filet mignon and 4 scallops with a side of mushrooms. The steak and the bearnaise did not have any flavor, and the mushrooms were overcooked and had a very strange flavor. I am an experienced cook and to me the flavor tasted like bad wine that was not entirely burned off.
The portions were generous and the quality of each item was good, but the preparation was not.

• Visited June 2013