Inn at Mendenhall, an Ascend Collection Hotel
US$157
US$136
US$122
Very Good 4/5
Brandywine River Hotel(Chadds Ford)(Great Value!)
US$146
US$120
Travelocity
Very Good 4/5
Brinton Hotel(West Chester)(Great Value!)
US$102
US$196
Great 4.5/5
Sentinel Motel(West Chester)(Great Value!)
US$74
US$183
US$164
Courtyard
US$106
Very Good 4/5
Inn at Wilmington(Wilmington)(Great Value!)
US$103
TripAdvisor
US$116
Good 3.5/5
All reviewslongwood gardensbrandywine valleysundry shopchoice rewardsmicrowave ovendriving homewedding guestsmain buildingbreakfast was includedlocal attractionschoice hotelsoatmealsmall hotelbed was very comfortablethird floorkennett squarean older hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I was challenged as to whether I provided an Average or Very Good rating. It's more like somewhere in between when I compare and think of the Mendenhall compared to other hotels.

I have stayed here a few times now for business in the Wilmington DE area. It's easy to get to on Hwy 52. Give yourself roughly 20 minutes coming out of Wilmington, although traffic can have an impact on this route.

The hotel aspect of the Mendenhall has a couple different buildings. One is more modern and fairly typical of motels. The other building is interesting in how it's laid out. My most recent stay included a room in this building, which required an elevator ride to the 3rd floor. The stair case was not an option, which I found just a tad annoying. For this number of floors I'd prefer the stairs than an elevator.

The rooms are nicely appointed, nothing out of the norm, but very clean and functional. A big feature of Mendenhall is that it's quiet. Your near a busy two lane road...but it's still very quiet. You also have a nice feature of the restaurant / bar thats part of the same facility.

They also have meeting rooms if your going to have some business group. I found their rooms and service for the meetings quite good. They keep you going with whatever you need.

The breakfast is included, and is good compared to most included breakfast hotels. They typically had a choice of scrambled eggs, sausage, breads, fruit, cereal's, yogurt's etc....

So a quality hotel option, out in the countryside, although a restaurant, bar right on the property.

Enjoy

Room Tip: One of the buildings requires an elevator ride to get to your room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My wife and I were highly pleased during an overnight stay. The room was quite clean and comfortable, and the staff was extremely helpful. The hotel is quasi-isolated but we had no trouble finding it using a smart-phone mapping program. Being tired, we had no desire to drive to another location for dinner so we used the hotel's restaurant, which we rated as very good.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We came for floral design classes at Longwood Gardens. The Mendenhall was recommended as close and good. I couldn't get a booking for 6nts the first time I called but when I called to check, I got Sandy at, say 10-11pm. Great guy. Booked my 6 nts and gave me a discount for AAA. Mendenhall is a VERY POPULAR wedding site. There must have been two a day for the time we were here. Sandy put us on the back side away from the noise and bustle. We had a view from the 3d floor and birds singing every morning. Great beds, clean, no critters. Kind of poorly stocked sundries but whatever. Now. Pa is a dry state. That said, there's no liquor at the normal places, like gas stations and 7-11's. I don't think they have 7-11's. So bring your own or be prepared to hunt down a liquor store. Beer and soda or liquor and wine. Restaurant was good food but servers still wear white gloves. Weird. Service was slow but food good. All food we had was expensive but, boy did we eat good!!! Savona (?) was terrific. Terrine was good but it took WAY too long to get served. Toca in some sort of close by town was superb. Brandywine Prime we went to twice. Sit at the bar and have the happy hour. Terrific. Bought antiques at Brandywine Antiques and Brandywine View Antiques. Good stuff, reasonable prices. Shipped it home with UPS. All in all, a great trip. Mendenhall was perfectly located and rooms were great. I'd do it again in a minute.

Room Tip: Ask for the back of the hotel away from the incoming traffic and wedding parties in the front.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Margaret S
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Inn staff: cordial and helpful
Beds: white on white linens. Great mattress. No little critters.
Bath: a powerful hot water shower (in tub), no fan, somewhat dated in feel
Ambience: pleasant and quiet
Location and parking: off the main road with ample parking
Restaurant: great crab cakes. Mendenhall coffee worthy of a side show in itself (lots of flame and delectable liqueurs). Service slow, but pleasant.

Room Tip: Cant help you. We were near the elevator and heard no mechanical noise, but conversations up and down the hall.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The inn is not what the name would lead you to believe. This inn is basically a convention center and an extended motel. That said, it is excellent value for money. The rooms are spacious, spotless, well-appointed and quiet -- surprising for a place just off a busy highway. What really surprised us, however, was the quality of the attached restaurant. There, food, service and price could not be beat. The wine list too, was very well chosen and the price was considerate.

Room Tip: Try for one away from the parking lot where it can be busy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple