“Colonial Inn Motel, Mercer PA”
Review of Colonial Inn Motel

Colonial Inn Motel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Mercer
Reviewed 4 May 2014

MERCER PA - The Colonial Inn Motel is lodging is run by a smiling and pleasant family that lives on premises.

The facility saw better days decades ago. Although the price (in May 2014) for a single queen was 30- to 50-percent lower than its franchised competitors on the other (Interstate 80) side of town, it has several drawbacks that prevent recommendation. The mattress was soft and uncomfortable, the decor is mid-'70s (has not been updated), towels and blankets are thin, TV is analog. Each room has two doors, inner and outer; we found the key to the inner worked, the outer (direct to parking) did not. Rear-side parking is potholed and unpaved; park at the front. We purposely did not try the free continental breakfast.

On the plus side the room was spacious, the lobby is open 24-7, the cable and free WiFi service good.

Room Tip: Front parking lot is best.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Joe_Zlomek

Reviewed 16 December 2013

I am an attorney and I had a case in Mercer. I was traveling by myself so cost was a major factor. I got a super low rate through Expedia. The room was clean and comfortable. Complementary wifi was fast and readily accessible.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Mark J
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I stayed here for a single night while traveling for my business. I chose it because of its location and for the travel coupon I was able to use, which kept the total bill to $45. The gentleman (owner?) who checked me in was pleasant and helpful. He walked me to the room and turned the lights on for me. He said that they have been remodeling their rooms and from the number of mattresses on the backside of the motel, they have been working hard on that. My room was clean and comfortable and included a microwave and fridge. I had a strong and reliable wifi signal all night. This is not a new property and it does show its age. It will also never be voted the best motel in the Mercer, PA area. Having said that, I enjoyed a pretty decent night's rest there and I would stay there again if business takes me back to the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Rick D
Reviewed 29 September 2013

When I went to the front desk to complain that I had seen a bug in the bathroom, I was hatefully told I was a lair. From the very beginning I was talked to like a dog. I was told if one drop of blood was found on the sheets I would have extra charges, If the furniture had any damage I would have extra charges, if smoke could be smelled in the room I would have extra charges. When I would not back down to his racial treatment, he busted into my hotel room. The hotel has two doors, one to the outside and one to the inside hallway. He came busting in from the hallway telling me to leave if I did not he would call the police. I gladly wanted on the police so the conniving owner could not add extra charges as the policeman saw the room and it's condition. The super 8 in Grover City is a really nice place.

Room Tip: Rooms at another hotel are better.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank oblongil
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Worst motel I ever encountered! Room smell musty, mattress were bad, A/C did not work properly. I and my grandson have asthma we could not breathe in the room. We did not stay at this place, found a Quality Inn west of Mercer on I-80

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Dennis D
Reviewed 26 July 2013

The general manager replies to a review about bugs in the room and how gross it is and says they have reason to believe it isn't authentic? That's a joke. We stayed recently. I believe for certain that the place was disgusting enough to have bugs. Competition doesn't need to make up something like that when its true. The floor was disgusting. I didn't want to take off my socks. The mattresses were horrible. Pillows were yellow. Towels felt like sand paper. Didn't even want to shower. The wifi didn't work. The manager gave us a different wifi to use but that signal died too. The shower curtain was ripped. Toilet seat was gross and old looking. Bad lighting. Bad bad bad decor. Smelled like cigarette smoke in a non smoking room. The smell hits you like a wall when you enter. Fridge wasn't very cold. We put chairs against the doors just in case because we didn't feel safe.
We tried to cancel the room earlier in the day before we even went but they wouldn't cancel. So we had to go.
Other than the staff refusing to cancel our reservation they were friendly enough. But I laughed when I read the general manager saying the review about roaches in the room being fake. No one could make that up. So take my advice. Do yourself a favor and stay at a chain hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank Chick87
Reviewed 26 July 2013

what a waste of money. I tried to cancel at 9am and was told that I could not cancel unless it was 24 hours before. I originally booked motel the week before and had it billed to my Visa plus a damage charge of $15. I called the motel and spoke to Nick and questioned why I was billed and had not stayed there yet and also that they had added the $15 so it brought it up to $92 Canadian on my visa. Nick did refund it since it was on booking.com. Unfortunately my daughter and I still came to the motel. I had not read the reviews of the motel. When we got to motel I was shocked.. It was across from a old trailer park with run down trailers. The lobby was dirty and dated. I did not want to stay but there is no refund. The pillows were yellow and flat, the shower curtain was hanging through the rod and the carpets was stained. We put chairs in front of the doors for security. We felt very unsafe. There is no coffee anywhere to be found and no free breakfast of any kind (as one person wrote). Nick also told me it was newly renovated. Wow! Never again will I go for the cheapest in the area. I wish I had taken some pictures of the room.

Room Tip: no rooms would be good here.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Susan H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mercer
Monroe Heights Hotel
Motel 6 Barkeyville, PA
Motel 6 Barkeyville, PA
#1 of 2 in Harrisville
Holiday Inn Express Grove City-Prime Outlet Mall

Been to Colonial Inn Motel? Share your experiences!