“The basics, no frills.....”

Holiday Inn Express Grove City-Prime Outlet Mall
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Mercer
Guelph, ON
“The basics, no frills.....”
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Grove City-Prime Outlet Mall for a couple nights during the big shopping weekend in November.
Good clean rooms, comfy bed, and your basic bathroom.
Breakfast is included and it has quite the selection compared to the usual "Continental" at most hotels.
This hotel is a "dry" hotel and nowhere nearby to buy booze. Having said that, I have heard and read you can buy beer next door at the other hotel.
Walking distance from the outlets, no problem.
Overall good solid, no frills, clean hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gilster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Toronto
Reviewed 15 January 2012

The location of the hotel is very convenient to Premium Outlet Grove City (less than a 2 minute drive) and easy to find. Lots of free parking on the premise, clean updated hotel lobby. Check in was very quick and staff were friendly. Rooms were clean and bed comfortable. There was a free buffet breakfast that was not that great but decent (lots of variety including pancakes, eggs, cinnamon buns, fruit, oatmeal, etc). They also offered free coffee/tea throughout the day in the lounge area and free popcorn. The only downside to this hotel was that we were able to hear noise from people on the floor above us and also if there were people talking and walking in the halls. Check out was also quick.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank LDtraveller
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Upgraded to the President Suite - very nice. Actually one of the nicest, comfortable and well designed suites I've seen. Impressive and suprising from a HIX. Fast internet, slightly sub-par breakfast (no sucrose-free yogurt, no meat). 8/10

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank bensagle
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Clean, roomy and comfortable. Breakfast exceeded expectations. That took the sting out of the price. Location was very close to outlet shopping and highway.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank bslawzy
Waterdown, Canada
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We have stayed at this hotel at least three times previous, and it has always been a dependable Holiday Inn Express location. We were checked in very efficiently and offered some coupons for local restaurants which were appreciated. The Queen suit had been renovated and had new carpeting and wallpaper and was nicely updated. As I have mentioned I have stayed here before and unless I am mistaken it appears they have upgraded a regular Queen room by adding a sink and micro/fridge, squeezed in a sofa/bed and now call it a suite. The second queen bed is pushed right up to the heating/air conditioning unit and makes it impossible/difficult to get in or out of that side of bed. As mentioned by a previous reviewer it seems rather small and I seem to recall a queen suite being a larger room on previous stays. However the beds were very comfortable and room had a very pleasant appearance. Staff we encountered were very nice and the complimentary breakfast was quite good. I am sure we will use this hotel in the future !

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank jacksondj5
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 December 2011

I stayed here with family on Christmas and Boxing day (we are Canadians coming for tax-free outlet shopping!). We had a double bed room, which was clean and comfortable. We thought the room would be a bit bigger but we managed to still be comfy. The washroom is spotless and the housekeeping is good. The ventilation and air flow is good, with heat or cold air easily adjusted. The beds are comfortable after a whole day of being on our feet at the mall. We called room service both nights to request more bath towels and as soon as we hung up, the towels arrived almost immediately (we were close to the service desk but you can tell they attended to us right away). At one point we thought we lost one of the key cards so we requested and received a replacement with no trouble at all. The staff here are great! The breakfast was similar on both days, with some additional items on day 2 (omelettes and bacon). For a complimentary hotel breakfast, this wasn't bad (I've had better and worse elsewhere). We liked the 24 hour access to tea and popcorn (freshly popped).

A special mention and thank you to the manager on duty on Christmas night, Julian. I had a surprise present planned for my boyfriend, which required a hotel staff to play along. I spoke to him beforehand without any problems and the surprise turned out perfect. THANKS JULIAN!

Room Tip: If you can, try to choose a room on the higher level. We were on the ground floor and we could hear...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank sn1202
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Every year three of us travel to Grove City Premium Outlet to get our Christmas shopping done. We've stayed at all the major hotels directly across from the Premium Outlet and this was our second time at the Holiday Inn Express. We stayed two nights, arriving late on a Friday, and checking in was no problem despite our late arrival.
Unfortunately, our two rooms were not side by side or directly across from each other despite the fact that our reservation was made at least three months earlier...a minor annoyance. The rooms were a decent size (two queens in one, and one king in the other) with typically neutral decor. It was nice that there was a fridge and a microwave in each room as I have to travel with my own food due to allergies. (That being said, I'm sure the included breakfast has more than the average continental, but I didn't try anything but the coffee!) Each bed came with choices of (labelled) hard or soft pillows, which was a nice touch, but the room was not left in a spotless condition. There was dust on several surfaces of the room, and before you think I'm overly picky, I'm talking about the night table between the beds and the stand for the fridge/microwave...both surfaces that would be regularly used, so should be regularly wiped down.
One detail that made me very happy was the abundance of outlets in this room. I hate when a hotel hides all their electrical outlets for whatever reason (I'm thinking cheapness), so when I come across a place that has plenty it's a happy thing! My friend and I had each brought noise machines, plus chargers for cell phones, etc., and there were outlets for all we had and more. I was happy to not have to shove heavy furniture around just so I could charge my cell.
While the main room was decent, the bathroom left a lot to be desired. It seemed so tired! The hotel exterior is nicely done and new looking, the rooms look updated and nice, but the bathroom was showing every minute of its existence. Kind of yuck. The handle on our toilet was super wiggly and loose and in fact the morning of our departure it actually fell off in my hand...thank goodness we were leaving. The shower had seen better and brighter (and cleaner) days and the sink area needed a lick of paint or something. When we asked our friend what her bathroom was like she was surprised at our complaints, apparently her's was newly renovated, so perhaps this is a work in progress.
All in all, this is a decent place to stay. You can't beat the location (across from the outlet), there's a breakfast thrown in to fuel your shopping day, they have a pool and small workout room (although 12 hours of shopping is enough of a workout to me), and the rooms were adequately clean and functional for a decent price.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a newer bathroom. Hotels in the area will give you a coupon to get a free discount...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank akoba
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mercer
Hampton Inn & Suites Grove City
Candlewood Suites Grove City - Outlet Center
Monroe Heights Hotel
Monroe Heights Hotel
#4 of 4 in Grove City

Been to Holiday Inn Express Grove City-Prime Outlet Mall? Share your experiences!