“A trip we look forward to every year”

Longswamp Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mertztown
Longswamp Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Mertztown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I can't say enough good things about this place, and I'm absolutely stunned that I'm the first yelp reviewer, but pleased to do it.

My fiancé and I have been coming for our anniversary trip for 4 years now. From our first stay, we have always felt very welcome and comfortable here. We always stay in the lower cottage, which is a large space that could easily accommodate a third person if you were traveling with a group. There are 2 large rooms (one with a fireplace; one with a tv), a bathroom, and a kitchenette. This particular space is very cool; it's the first floor of what I believe was once the local post office. If you, like me, love old buildings with tons of bizarre features (like a staircase that runs directly into a blank wall), you will LOVE this place.

The property, consisting of the main house, the cottage building, and a large barn, is just beautiful. It's situated on a sizable lot, with a lovely lawn and a very comfy-looking patio. We always visit in winter, but during spring and summer, I'm sure this is an absolutely perfect place to relax and just enjoy a good book, a drink, or a friendly conversation.

The accommodations themselves are very nice. The rooms are homey, nicely decorated, and very warm. Everything is very clean and we LOVE having a fireplace! The breakfast is always amazing, and is served in courses consisting of a bread (always some kind of awesome muffin, moist sweetbread, or other treat), followed by fresh fruit (I don't know where they get such good fruit in the middle of winter, but it's always excellent), then a main course. We've had many diverse meals here, including a delectably indulgent baked French toast, eggs with home fries, and maple sugar bacon, about which my fiancé occasionally raves at intervals throughout the rest of the year. Which brings me to my next point... I don't eat pork. We usually call to remind the owners, JoAnn and John, a couple days ahead of time, but this year we forgot. Not to worry... They remembered from last year, and had turkey sausage on hand for me. JoAnn and John are two of the nicest, most down to earth people you could ever hope to meet. They work very hard to take the best possible care of their guests, and it shows. From their knowledge of area restaurants and attractions, to asking about how my work is going, they're a model of how to treat guests. We just left, and we already can't wait to come back next year!

• Stayed: January 2013

Reviewed 21 June 2013

I was looking for an all inclusive wedding under $100 a head. There was nothing I could find for a reasonable price and then I stumbled upon Longswamp bed and breakfast, it was perfect! I could not have asked for better host and in a more beautiful location. They were so accommodating and made every detail special. Thank you so much John and Joanne.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank stef3Cole
Reviewed 25 February 2013

There is nothing to say about this establishment except: PRICELESS!!! This is the best b&b that I've ever been to, and trust me, I've been to PLENTY. There is something about coming to Longswamp that is akin to visiting the place where I grew up. It is familiar yet 'different'; it is like home, yet quaint enough to know that you have gotten away from it all. At the last minute we asked for--and were accommodated with--a DVD player. I called from the road and it was set up by the time we arrived. I have been coming here for 7 years now. I was shocked to see a recent negative review, having stayed in that very room the traveler mentioned. To John and Jo Ann: your reputation and character speak for you. Don't change a thing, you do everything so perfectly already! See you again next month!

Room Tip: The Barn Suite is like home away from home! Except with all the quaint touches that let you know yo...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TeriLovesNJ
Reviewed 9 February 2013

This B & B is a delightful spot to stay any time of year. We most recently visited in the winter, and it was lovely, but when the gardens are in bloom, the grounds are gorgeous. A glass of wine on the terrace is a must in nice weather. There are a couple of out buildings in addition to the lovely main building, all beautifully maintained. The rooms are comfortable, well-decorated and spotless. The Inkeepers are friendly and knowledgeable about all local attractions, but not intrusive. And the breakfasts are great!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 January 2013 via mobile

Once upon a time an overworked and exhausted mom and dad booked a weekend at Longswamp, looking to rejuvenate. Joanne and John took care of every detail - breakfasts to die for (tasty fresh fruit in January!?! - yum!), massages, directions to church, and tasty dinner recommendations. This story has a happy ending. The mom and dad went hope restored, rested, and looking forward to a return trip! Treat yourself and book a weekend here!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 3 December 2012

We stopped at Longswamp on our way home to NYC from VA. We stayed in the Cottage, it was rustic but quiet, comfortable, well equipped (we enjoyed the fireplace!) and immaculately clean! We stay at B&B’s frequently, many pretend to be foofy or upscale, but are dirty and dusty under the bed. Not here!
JoAnn served us a great breakfast with fresh baked banana bread, a bowl of fresh fruit and a crunchy French Toast that was delicious. I have to add that we are a same-sex couple and we felt very welcomed here. Not always the case at some B&B’s. The Innkeepers could not have been more friendly or helpful. They made reservations for us at a fantastic local restaurant and had pre-printed directions to local wineries. They don’t advertise “gay friendly” but they are certainly our new friends. We will be back and we highly recommend this place!
Thom and James
NYC

Room Tip: Cottage and Barn Suite offer the most privacy....and have TV's!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2012

We recently moved one of our parents to the Diakon Home in Topton, PA, during the Christmas holidays. During the week long process we stayed at the nearby Longswamp Bed and Breakfast because they were recommended. We stayed in the Lower Cottage. It was perfect for us- lots of room, kitchenette, amenities and a fireplace! Our accommodation was very clean and refreshed daily.
Breakfast was great with warm banana bread, fresh fruit, and a fantastic baked french toast! The owners were very friendly and helpful and made us feel right at home. They were able to point us to nearby restaurants, wineries and shopping.
We will be visiting our parents frequently and we plan to stay at the Longswamp every time! Thanks JoAnn and John!
Ted and Judy
NY

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ted and Judy J

Been to Longswamp Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!