“great wine but very unwelcoming environment”

Shade Mountain Winery & Vineyard
More attraction details
Owner description: We cordially invite you to sample our wonderful variety of over 30 different wines! Our 19th-century barn houses wine-making and hosts free daily tastings of our full line of wines. You do not need an appointment, just drop in during our regular business hours, as we are open 7 days a week year-round. You are also welcome to bring some snacks and enjoy our deck overlooking our vineyards. We also have locations in Riverside ( outside of Danville) and Millheim.
Reviewed 4 October 2012

upon arriving at the winery, the first thing we were told was that we were only
"allowed" to taste a total of 7 different wines. that was fine, as we buy their
wine often enough to know pretty much what we wanted anyway. I think a
greeting may have been appropriate when customers walk in door.

we told the representative that we would be purchasing a case. while she was
not rude, I just felt like we were annoying her. I hesitated to even ask to try
anything because there was also a sign on the wall informing customers about
the limit of the wine samples. (I can understand the tasting may be abused, but
there seems to be a more tactful way of stating this).

when my husband and I visit a winery, I feel like it is an experience, rather than
just in and out! I don't like feeling rushed.

while the wines are wonderful and this is a beautiful facility, I don't know that
we will return due to the coolness of the employee. wines are not a must have
and with that being said, I am saying, with some disappointment that I do not believe
we will return.

Reviewed 6 September 2012

I love semi sweet or semi dry wine. They have some good wines but they are all super sweet! I do enjoy the mint wine that I mix with iced tea at home!

Reviewed 16 August 2012

enjoyable visit - friendly staff and the variety of wines to taste was great!! The wine is very good and affordable as well!!

Reviewed 4 August 2012

I love Shade Mountain Winery. I have been going there since it opened as it is only about 15 mins away from my house. My daughter had her bridal shower in the banquet room and had her wedding pictures taken in the vineyards. (Very beautiful). My favorite wines are Rascal Red, Jacks Mountain Red, Riesling, Anniversary White, and of course, Niagra! The fruit wines are excellent too. I would recommend blueberry, strawberry, and pineapple. Stop in and check it out.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

Nice to shop right in our own hometown on the Main Street. Pop in for just the right wine to go with dinner