I am self employed and I travel a fair amount. I don’t have a corporate office to set things up, I don’t get corporate discounts and/or points. I have to get things done on my own. I don’t have a travel office that I can call into so I have to use things like a hotspot and a tablet computer while I’m on the road to make my own arrangements. I’ve mainly counted on Priceline to take care of my hotels but I have a high enough IQ to know that using Priceline is a dangerous game… very similar to Russian Roulette. Most times, you only hear the click, but then there are the times when you don’t hear anything …..that’s because it went off!!
Let’s just start 2 weeks ago.
- We drove to VA for a job. We “Priceline” a couple hotel rooms and get a really nice place in Richmond, VA. It was a 3.5 star (Sheraton) and the place was perfect! I got it through the “Express Deal” selection as I’ve had bad experiences dealing with the bid process. THIS IS GREAT, Life is good and there are 0 complaints. THANKS!
- On the following Monday, we drove to Dayton OH. We didn’t know if we’d make it all the way there so we decided to see how far we got before made plans. Well, we were lucky enough to have made it all the way through. I stopped on the side of the highway and did another express deal on a 3 star hotel (Marriott Residence). It was a nice, clean hotel in the middle of a busy section of town. NO complaints. Thank you!
- Our job went late on Thursday so we left Dayton (towards home) at about 4:30Pm. Again, we made no plans because we didn’t know how far we’d get. … At about 11:00p, we needed fuel and decided to look for a hotel. We pulled off Rt 80 in PA to get fuel and I fired up my hotspot and my pad and went to Priceline. Well, apparently, we were looking at 2 hotels that were in eyesight of the gas station that were only 2 star (this becomes important later). They looked reasonable but hey, we’re hotel snobs at this point, we want at least a 3 star hotel. I searched on Priceline’s map to see where the closest 3 or 3.5 star hotel was. It was only another 85 miles!! So I figured that if I hustled there I could be checking in just after midnight….. “LETS DO IT”
We get back on the road, all happy that at least we’ll have a great hotel room waiting for us. Well. we take the exit and drive right past the truck stop and “Quality Inn” … that is until the English lady in my GPS reminded me that the address was behind us. …. We look at each other … “Nooo”…. “Noooooooo, it can’t be, right??” Oh yeah…it totally WAS!! So we turn around in a parking lot and come back to where the GPS told us to go. We were going very slow, hoping that it’d be the wrong address but behold, there it is! DAMN!! So we pull in the lot, between the massive amount of tractor trailers and the dated building. There is silence between us because our high hopes of having a comfy cozy room…..vanished, right before our eyes!! No, instead, we walked into a 1970's check in area. The clerk informed us that we’d be staying in “Smoking rooms” … OK, that’s it!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!! He relented and put us in their “better” room on the second floor.
So, the clerk gives us keys and we start walking down the hall…..we’re walking back and forth…”where is the elevator?” Finally, we walk back to the clerk and ask… “Oh, we don’t have one, the stairs are right there on your left.” … as if we weren’t deflated enough, we head over to the stairs. So let me describe the stairs to the best of my ability; They are covered in medium green carpet but the traffic areas are matted down and filthy. There are stains covering the landings and every step we take is another level of defeat!! When we get to the top, the strangely wide hallways are covered in the same medium green carpet with just as much staining. “Oh my god, is that a giant blood stain”????
We trudge to our rooms completely defeated, ready and willing to offer our lives to the psycho killer that would break down our door and ease the pain by shooting us in the head…. Suffice it to say, I’m hoping to block it out of my mind in the same way a kid that has been mauled by a dog has to block the memory out…. I’m sure that years later, I’ll be waking up in bed screaming.
Keep in mind that we checked in after midnight…..we both chose to (even though we were in different rooms and hadn't spoken about it till the morning) sleep in our clothes (on top of the bed) and we both got up and were ready to get on the road at 5am. We took turns driving so that we could get some sleep in the much more comfortable Toyota Tundra passenger seat! It’s that kind of 3 star comfort that you gave us…. Congrats, Priceline!! You’ve ruined all the good faith that you’ve previously earned!!
I wish I had taken pictures to prove this description of the place but I'm sure the Forensic Department of the local police department has some you could see. Call them!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Quality Inn hotel in Milesburg, PA is located just off Interstate 80 and 10 miles from the University Park Airport. Our hotel is your hub for football fun, local events and convenient access to many activities. This Milesburg Pennsylvania hotel is great for Penn State football weekends with its location just 10 miles from State College and Penn State University. Guests also will appreciate its close proximity to events at the Bryce Jordan Center, Penn State Conference Center, Bald Eagle State Park and Tussey Mountain Ski Area. The Quality Inn hotel also is a convenient location for Marcellus Shale workers needing a place to stay. Our hotel offers relaxing rooms to fit your needs. All spacious guest rooms include cable television, hair dryer, iron and ironing board. Some of our rooms offer kitchen facilities, microwave, refrigerator, hot tub, sofa bed, and mini-fridge for your convenience. All of the rooms are air conditioned and provide you with the most relaxing stay possible. Other features include an indoor heated pool, on-site lounge, and fitness center. Business travelers can take advantage of our on-site business center, complete with computer and internet access, as well as copy and fax services. Our banquet and meeting facility is the perfect setting for meetings and conferences for business travelers visiting the Central Pennsylvania area. So book your room today! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Quality Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quality Hotel Milesburg
- Holiday Inn Milesburg
- Milesburg Holiday Inn