“Notf worth the $”

Bar Louis at Hotel Fauchere
Reserve with OpenTable
Bar Louis at Hotel Fauchere is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 41 Restaurants in Milford
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Bar, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Just awful! My $30 chicken dinner had no flavor. I could have done better in my own kitchen. I have tried to eat here numerous times and so far the only thing worth writing about is the Sushi Pizza. Otherwise, save your money. The ambiance is nice and the staff are very good, but the food, is not worth the pricetag.

2  Thank BUBrat2
Fauchere1823, Manager at Bar Louis at Hotel Fauchere, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

We are truly sorry you did not enjoy your experience at Bar Louis and, as I hope you can see by other reviews, what you experienced was the exception rather than the rule. The promise we make to our guests, and to ourselves, is to deliver fresh and delicious food in an attentive and timely manner. When we fail to meet that standard, we want to hear about it and will strive to make it up to the guest.

In your review, you mentioned a $30 chicken dish. I am confused as the chicken dish on our menu, a free-range french chicken breast, is $22. If you were overcharged, it was a server error and I would like to issue a refund.

Please contact me at the hotel directly if you were overcharged and/or if you would like to join us for a meal again. I would like to do something special to make sure you have a much better experience. Thank you, Hillary Needleman, F&B Manager.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Surprising old hotel with a nice place to relax. Bar Louis on the first floor seems to be the favorite place of the patrons of this historic three-story hotel which is - by the way - on the National Register of Historic Places. It is nicely designed and features interesting photographs.

1  Thank podrozniczka60
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I've been here several times over the past few years. Sometimes, I've been really impressed, but others I've wondered if they are slipping or changed chefs. I went there for lunch this week and was happy to see Bar Louis was on a definite upswing. Our server, Kyle, was funny and attentive and we left him a nice tip. I split the spicy kale (with an egg on top) with my sister for an appetizer, and it was REALLY good. Very clever dish, and incredibly tasty. Then I had the burger with truffle fries, and it was cooked to perfection (it's remarkable how often I ask for a burger cooked medium rare and it's overcooked - not so in this case). Truffle fries were hot, fresh, crisp, and delicious. My sister got the Croque Monsieur and it was really good as well - fresh brioche bread for the toast, a nice cheese sauce, and the ham was really good. Beer and wine selection was great as well. We came here because we were turned away by bad service somewhere else (Waterwheel) and were so glad we did. Very nice lunchtime dining experience!

1  Thank Peg S
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We were here for the Music Festival. When I called early afternoon to ask about the times they serve for late lunch/dinner, I was told there would be Music all day on their porch for the Festival. We travel almost 2 hours to go here and in the past, it has been one of our favorite places to eat. The last 2 visits were borderline, but we decided to try it again due to the Music Festival.

We arrived about 2:30 PM and walked around a bit to enjoy the Festival. We then went back to the Hotel Fauchere to enjoy the Music on their Porch, but there was none as that group was only their for Brunch. We were not told this when we phoned.

The Delmonico Room was closed due to a Wedding Reception, so we went down to Bar Louis around 4:30 PM. When we arrived, we were handed a lunch menu, but we wanted dinner. We were told dinner was not served until 5:00 PM. We decided to have a drink and wait for dinner, which we did---but were disappointed that we bothered to wait. While we were waiting, we heard a customer complaining about how poorly the French Onion Soup was and that it was like eating a salt shaker. I have to tell you, prior to hearing this, one of our favorite things to have here was the French Onion Soup, but that was prior to our last visit. When we heard this, we realized that the Chef still didn't get the message as that was one of our complaints the last visit. We knew not to order or try this again.

Several years ago, we would always enjoy our meals here especially their French Onion Soup, Steaks and extremely delicious Calf Liver (my husband's favorite and they prepared it perfectly). Although we were disappointed in our last 2 visits with the service, menu and preparation, we decided that maybe it improved again especially if they read my other Trip Advisor reviews, so here we are to try one more time.

The service has not improved at all. Finally at 5:20 PM we were able to get the dinner menu, then it took 15 minutes to hear the specials. The menu and specials were poor. After waiting all this while, would you believe that the only safe thing we decided to order was a hamburger. I will say the hamburger was delicious and prepared properly, but we waiting 40 minutes to get it. All and all for the time we wasted at Bar Louis to have a hamburger instead of a dinner, we could have gone to the Milford Diner and had an excellent meal.

We have now given Bar Louis 3 more tries, we will not give it a 4th. The need a better chef, better menu and a big improvement on their service. They also need people who answer the phone and know what they are talking about. Extremely disappointed on an excellent place gone so downhill. Would not recommend going here. If you do, we wish you luck.

3  Thank janie51
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This was the second time we have eaten here and again were underwhelmed.
Our group of 5 we seated promptly without reservations, décor is nice and seating is well planned out with ample room for each.
Presentation of the entrées was good, the steak was chewy, the scallops were few in number and a little chewy as well, the pasta was very good.
Wine and beer selection above average soliciting a European feel.
Hostess accepted my observations with mild interest.