“Everything was perfect, but the weather”
Review of Hotel Fauchere

Hotel Fauchere
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Milford
White Plains, New York
“Everything was perfect, but the weather”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My girl friend and I were looking for a weekend getaway with a spa in an area neither of us had been to. Turned out Hotel Fauchere was our destination with access to Badea Spa. We spent three days at the hotel and it was a luxurious treat after stays in sparse chain hotels. The spa services were professional and reasonable.

The breakfast was delicious and served in a beautiful sun room (no sun two of the mornings).

We ended up eating in the Bar Louis all three nights. There was enough variety and the food was delicious.

The highlight of the trip was found in the quality of the service and the nice people we met along the way.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

We needed a getaway to break the winter blues. Had read about this hotel for years and were intrigued by the idea of a Relais & Chateau property in Milford, Pa. It was amazing! The atmosphere, staff and restaurants were exceptional. A wonderful mix of history and contemporary elegance. It is sublime.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
PALO ALTO
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We found this hotel by accident in searching for places to stay on our way home. We arrived in Milton mid-afternoon. The hotel staff was helpful and our Golden Retriever was welcome. The room was rather small but it was substancial with a great comfortable bed, pillows, etc. The bathroom was nice with a big shower. The doorknob kept coming off-a laughable event.
I would not give it a 5-star rating, but it certainly was very good. Overall, the stay was nice except for a couple of problems. First, their restaurant (misnamed the Delmonico Room) was a disappointment. First, it's nothing like the Delmonico in NYC which we've been to and love. Its a rather modern sterile place. The waitress showed us the menu -- it was way overpriced--fixed price--and the choices were not something we wanted anyway. The wine menu was not impressive and so we ate downstairs in the Bar, which was good but very noisy (esp. the screaming children). The staff were nice. The breakfast was a disapointment-advertised as a full breakfast, it was nothing more than granola and yogurt and grapefruit. Their "hot" meal wasnt served until 9. I ordered a latte and the waitress gladly brought it to me--and i ordered another but was then presented with a 10 dollar bill. Never a mention it was not complementary with the expensive room. I asked the manager to remove it from my bill, but the waitress had to come in and argue the point while I was standing there--it was rather embarassing for everyone. It's a small point but nevertheless something that a luxury hotel (or adertised as one) should have avoided. Overall, thus, the hotel is a nice 3-4 star place, a decent restaurant down in the bar, and nice, but expensive and small rooms. The town was really nothing to see. And I wondered really why people would come there from NYC as a getaway. We live in Vermont, which has some really spectacular hotels and restaurants for the same price, and that's a getaway, altho further.
In any case, we've stayed at literally dozens of hotels throughout the US and Europe. I would certainly recommend the place as a nice place to stay if you're in Milton. Certianly not a destination for great food.

Room Tip: ask to see the rooms--they are tiny and you may want something bigger.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank DrDANT
Ohio
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The Fauchere is a beautiful place to spend a few days.
The Hotel itself is quite nice, I'd give it 4 stars.
The town of Milford is a place in time, perhaps the 1950s.
Great bakery, vibrant art and antiques stores.
The town easily earns a four plus rating.
It's a great stop on the way east to Boston, or west to Chicago.
We spent an overnight there, and next time I'll extend by a day, if possible.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Montclair, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stayed for a quiet romantic weekend the beginning of March and really enjoyed the hotel, the service and the restaurants. The rooms are small given the age of the building but comfortable and elegantly equipped and the bathrooms luxurious. The included continental breakfast is wonderful - do not skip the home made yogurt and granola!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
State college
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here recently for a pre Valentine day stay and the staff and restaurant were both wonderful. Ate at Bar Louis and my Gold Rush cocktail was very good. Nice to go somewhere that seems interested in inventive cocktails!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sandy P
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 12 February 2014

My husband and I came for a relaxing weekend away from NYC. Our intention was to hole up in the hotel and take advantage of its amenities.The check in was easy and the guest services woman was very helpful. She greeted us with a glass of white wine and gave us a quick tour of the hotel. The room (number 10) was a decent size, very minimally decorated, but clean and elegant. The bathroom was huge with heated towel rack and a large claw-footed tub---the best part of our stay. We took four baths in the 1.5 days we were there. Kiehl's products and bath salts were a great addition, as were the milk and cookies before bedtime. I was disappointed that the bed was only a queen size. We slept relatively well, although the shades allowed light in in the morning and I'm accustomed to hotels offering the option to black-out the room. We had the included continental breakfast, which was quite nice. Although I found it all so sweet...too many sugary items. My husband thought the regular coffee was bad. I had decaf, which was better, but not terribly hot. And we had to ask for the orange juice---it was not brought to us although it is part of the breakfast. (this happened both mornings, so I wonder if the servers are supposed to wait for the request. Silly.) The server then only brought one for my husband. Service was sloppy the first morning and overly casual. The second morning was much sharper, although still no OJ ;) This time we ordered off the menu. My husband had a delicious breakfast sandwich and I had the tasty ricotta pancakes. I also ordered a side of fruit, which came beautifully presented, but the grapes were covered in dirt, so I sent them back and they were quickly returned washed. But how can such oversight happen in such a "fine" establishment? We tried to get into the Delmonico Room for dinner on our second night, but it was apparently booked (although it didn't appear to be when we peaked in). Maybe they have ordered just the right amount of food, so they can't take last-minute reservations? We ended up in Bar Louis for dinner. The atmosphere is so cold down here and there's barely a bar. They could really improve this space and it would make a huge difference in the feeling of the entire hotel, I think. It's not cozy, not fun, not elegant...kind of characterless. The food was quite good, but portions were huge. And again, the service was meh. Our server seemed apathetic and physically uncomfortable...cold maybe? She came to the table with her arms crossed and whenever she asked how things were, she walked away while we were in the middle of answering. Maybe a bad day? She seemed like a nice person, but just not interested. The last complaint was that the thermostat in our room wasn't cooperating with us. We woke in the middle of the night with the thermostat at 61 degrees and it didn't move from there all day. We heard two other groups talking about the same issue in the breakfast room. We let management know at check out and they explained that the thermostat has to be manipulated in a certain way. Who knows. Anyway, I want to love this hotel because it has such a fun history and the more senior hotel staff were really lovely and professional, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed with the overall experience. One highlight was a massage at Badea Spa a couple doors down---the therapists there were excellent!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Island_Hopper_NY
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milford
Hampton Inn Matamoras
The Lodge at Woodloch
Skytop Lodge
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop

Been to Hotel Fauchere? Share your experiences!