“Love the small Family Businesses!”

Good Wil's Restaurant & Bakery
Ranked #4 of 20 Restaurants in Milton
Reviewed 8 December 2017 via mobile

We stopped in on our way to Hornell, New York and we order Mac and Cheese bites, spicy corn nuggets, grilled pork chops, Todd’s seafood platter, and chocolate pie .

Food came out in a timely manner. Service definitely could have been better as far as our waitress went. Biggest complaint I honestly have would have been the pork chops when the waitress brought them out she stated they may not be cooked all the way due to there size.

Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

Had dinner here, chicken and waffles with all the fixings. It tasted like my grandmothers. The restaurant was clean and busy. The service was friendly and prompt. Can't ask for more than that. I will be back.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

Ordered a cheese and sausage omelet. others ordered ham and cheese, plain cheese and pancakes and sausage. Sausage was bland, stingy on the cheese for omelets. Waitress was so, so. we have always had great breakfast here. Not sure what is going on?

Reviewed 3 May 2017 via mobile

Love this place. Clean and comfortable with all the favorites. Cheap, tasty, and great service. Lots of specials every day and really good food. Diner/home cooking type place that serves breakfast all day.

Reviewed 21 February 2017

We've been going to Good Wil's off and on since they first opened in the 80's. When we lived in Northumberland (before they closed and moved to the mall), we frequented them regularly. Since we've moved and are closer to the Montandon location, we don't visit as often.

One frequent complaint no matter the location is the lack of side dish choices. If you don't like Harvard Beets, Baked Beans or Baked Limas (I like them, but not how GW prepares them), Applesauce, Cole Slaw, Pickled Cabbage, or Baked Apples, you are out of luck. That selection NEVER changes - ever. No macaroni or potato salad. No selection of veggies. Nothing. Just the above list. I rarely order dinners because I can't pick 2 of those sides. I don't even like one of them. Sometimes, the waitress allows me to count French fries and a cup of soup.

Portions are generous and food is generally good. They make a lot of "old style" dishes - ham and dandelion, schniz and knepp, chicken and waffles, pot pie (and for the person complaining it was canned chicken and cut-up lasagna noodles, you are wrong - it's roasted chicken/ham/or beef with dumplings - that's how we do pot pie here - anything else is a meat pie - I've had their pot pie and it's very good, especially the ham pot pie), and tend to draw an older crowd, but I appreciate that they keep the older dishes alive. Their soups are good. Keep in mind the older crowd, however, on days when they have things like pot pie - be prepared for them to possibly sell out before you get there - we arrive at 6pm, and many times, things are gone off the specials board.

Staff is hit or miss. Many are decent. Some are not. It's mostly locals, so be prepared for some staff to spend more time with some tables than others - especially if you're not recognized as a regular. A prior review mentioned someone they called "The Grinch". That's a good description. She is not friendly, and once scolded me because she felt I took too long to pick-up a to-go order. There is also a short-haired waitress with a distinctive voice who I try very hard to not get. She spends a lot of time with certain tables if they're her regulars, and everyone else gets ignored. She was flat-out rude to my husband the other night. A customer was chatting with the server after checking out at a register, and the short-haired waitress opened up another register, just standing there. When he attempted to check-out with her, she got rather rude and told him that he had to check out with whoever served him. That's a first for us - we've always just paid whoever was at the main register (and that's where short-haired waitress was - the people chatting were at a secondary register) - often the main register is staffed by "The Grinch". Embarrassed, he said "Is this something new? I paid at the main register last week for lunch..." and she interrupted him and rather loudly said yes, it was policy, but only after 4pm or some such thing. I was upset, and I told him I was going to sit in the car before I said something I'd regret. He checked out at the secondary register after the conversation taking place there finished. I watched from my car - short-haired waitress never rang anyone out. She just stood there, then left. I still don't understand the purpose of that. He did tell her there was no need to be so blunt.

Desserts are homemade, and good. I love their cakes, and their pies are good. There are goodies to take-out too (sticky buns, cookies, etc) that are equally good. The only thing I give a thumbs-down to is the ice cream. I've had it twice, and it tastes to me like it's thawed and re-frozen - grainy almost.

We would visit more frequently if there was a better selection of side dishes (no need to carry 20 on any given day - just rotate them in and out - by the week, even, so I'd know if there were good sides that week or not), the service would be a bit friendlier/more efficient (other comments about having to flag people down, or about their tables being scattered everywhere are accurate), and the visits were more consistent.

Lastly, if you go and you get a good server or good service, tip halfway decently. Often, we see people leaving them $.50 or $1 as a tip. It's not the 60's, and they need more than that (I saw a demanding table who asked for lots of special requests leave $2 the other night). Prices are decent enough that a tip won't break the bank. I would hope the owners know their clientele are generally bad tippers and would pay better than server pay, but I can't be sure, so I tip well if the service warrants it.

1  Thank funky-rat