“Small but adequate room, good service though”

Holiday Inn Pittsburgh Monroeville
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Monroeville
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Driving up to this hotel location, it was evident from the exterior that it was an older hotel property, which always raises a possible red flag. However, the interior of the hotel - public areas and guest rooms - are modern and updated. The bathroom is a bit difficult to manuver, since the door, when open, reaches just to the toilet. Traveling alone, I didn't need to close the door, but that would be an issue if I hadn't been the only person occupying the room.

Having been traveling all week, I'd promised myself room service for dinner and a long, relaxing bath. The restaurant food was very delicious and priced as you would expect for a hotel restaurant. It was plentiful and well presented on the tray. My bath could have been better though. After sinking into the water, I could feel the soap scum against my back and the tub drained a little slowly.

The bed was comfortable and I could actually tell the difference between the pillows marked "firm" and those marked "soft". The vanity area in the bathroom was spacious and perfect for getting ready the next morning.

I didn't realize that the hotel was pet friendly, but the room next door to mine was occupied by a traveler with a dog, who barked every time there was movement - including mine - in the hallway. Fortunately, the wall between the rooms was sound-proofed enough that the barking didn't waken me once I was asleep.

The most memorable experience was check-in and the 3 ladies at the front desk were bubbly and friendly.

Room Tip: This hotel sits right off the turnpike, so if you are a light sleeper, make certain you get a room a...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 13 September 2011

From the outside the hotel does not look good, but the rooms are clean and comfortable.
Hotel staff are friendly.

Hotel includes a bar/restaurant. Breakfast was not included when I stayed.

Restaurants and shops in walking distance.
Good location but try and get a room away from the turnpike.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the turnpike.
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Some tips when staying on this hotel. First stay in a room away from the highway so you wont be bothered by the cars on the turnpike. Second do not stay on the rooms facing the pool on the second floor since they smell musty. We were originally placed on one of the rooms facing the pool but we asked to be changed and the staff was very accommodating. Certainly the hotel is showing signs of age. However the room was clean and the staff was helpful. We did had an incident of the staff giving our room to someone else while we were in the room. But the we were inside the room and the person was not able to open the door with the hotel staff that was with him. I opened the door and explained that we were already staying in the room and problem solved. But I can see why this was stressful to the prior reviewer and this is a security issue that the have to look further into. Later a man (I'm guessing the handyman) from the staff came telling us that he was informed that there was a problem with the door and I explained that it was working fine and thank God it did not open when they tried previously. However I would stay here again if I am in the area. Breakfast was not included but we stopped and the restaurant and we were pleased with it.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
mlepine, General Manager at Holiday Inn Pittsburgh Monroeville, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2011

Thank you so much for your kind words. We appreciate you staying with us at the Holiday Inn Pittsburgh/Monroeville and look forward to your return turn.

Happy Travels,
Heather Mohan

Reviewed 2 September 2011

My family was making a long road trip and determined the Monroeville area would make a good stopping point. I chose this hotel based on location, TripAdvisor reviews and the fact that I am a Priority Club member. We were greeted by an apathetic girl at the front desk that did not acknowledge our Priority Club membership nor offered anything that goes with it. We were told to go outside and find a particular door number with no direction how to find it. We chose to occupy two rooms for 4 people in order to get the best night's sleep, so my husband and I each took a kid and went to our rooms. I asked for the rooms to be adjacent; they were not. One was halfway down the hall. I realize that request is not always possible, but it would have been nice to have been told that at check in. My room had one bottle of water and one mini bag of snack and my husband's had nothing. This was our reward for being in the Priority Club, which I found insulting for 4 people. The rooms both smelled musty and old. Our bathroom had long black hair all over it and a generally dirty feeling to it. We had a room that opened to the pool area and the door handle was almost broken off. We went to bed early (around 9:30) as we were very tired. Around 10-10:30 p.m. Someone tried to enter my husband's room. The man got the door open (with a key!) and said to whomever he was with, "I can get this lock open" referring to the metal piece you pull across for security. My husband got up to see his arm reaching in the door and told him the room was already occupied and to get out. Fortunately, he did. We planned to leave at 5 the next morning and my husband loaded the car as I got ready in my room. He went back to his room to check that he hadn't forgotten a thing and the key didn't work. Clearly, the front desk had given a working key to our room to someone else and then changed the lock when the person trying to get in our room went back to the desk. No phone call from the desk to our room(s) explained any of this. I mentioned the incident to the front desk when we checked out and the girl at the desk didn't seem to care. She mumbled, "we'll check into it" as though it was a bother. Terrible attitude, dirty and unsafe hotel. Rotten experience.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank MelissaR08
mlepine, General Manager at Holiday Inn Pittsburgh Monroeville, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2011

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. It is imperative that we receive feedback from our guests, including any negative experiences, so we may address any shortcomings. I am deeply disappointed that you had such an experience at our hotel. The safety and security of our hotel guests is of utmost importance, and we certainly take any comments of the contrary extremely seriously.
As a majority of our reviews depict, this is not a typical experience of our guests, and I am committed to investigating these instances to ensure that all of our guests are provided with a positive and memorable experience with us.
I invite you to reach out to me so we may discuss your experience in detail, and hopefully you will give us the opportunity to make this right for you. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 23 August 2011

We stayed 2 nights, the view was of the Turnpike. Front desk welcomed us and acknowledged that we were Priority Club members. They offered a B1G1 for the breakfast buffet, we took advantage of that offer. The breakfast was great! The room was very small, if sitting on the toilet and someone open the door you would be in pain. I asked for any larger room available, and she said they had nothing to offer. I noticed a young man looking into car windows, for who knows what, but it looked not right. I informed front desk and they immediately had a crew out to look around the place. I think it is overpriced for the size of room available. Clean crew was so-so, some nasties in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Ask for away from turnpike
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
mlepine, General Manager at Holiday Inn Pittsburgh Monroeville, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. We are delighted that you selected our hotel for your two-night stay in Monroeville, and we are always thrilled to see our Priority Club members returning to us time and time again. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our restaurant, Madison's, during your stay. Our Executive Chef and his experienced culinary team offer cuisine that is far superior to typical hotel restaurants, and the breakfast buffet is no exception! The hotel's location in Monroeville offers easy access to the PA Turnpike, and is centrally located to shopping and local businesses. I must say that the greatest aspect of our property is our enthusiastic and professional staff. Thank you for acknowledging the team's genuine concern and prompt response to your inquiry regarding the parking lot. Although our bathrooms are "cozy", our guestrooms offer ample deskspace for work, and a limited number of rooms offer balconies overlooking our seasonal pool. Again, thank you for sharing your experience with us, and I personally hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 3 August 2011

I chose this because it was rated number 1 by tripadvisor,
but cannot, in all honesty, recommend it... the corridors look
totally uninspiring (long, boring, old carpets)... the rooms are
OK, but very tight, no fridge, only 1 chair... i will likely not come
back to this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank cb2121
Reviewed 2 August 2011

After seeing the many nice reviews, I expected something special. I checked in after midnight and the person at reception was not very welcoming. Told me to drive to the back of building and enter through 'Door 3', with no information about where to look for the number. As a woman traveling alone, I am not comfortable unloading my car in a deserted parking lot, and then carrying my bags to the outside entry door. I felt very vulnerable. The halls smelled of disinfectant and something worse. The wallpaper was dirty, and the furniture old and scratched. The bathroom was unpleasant with peeling paint in the tub and a floor that was not terribly sanitary. During the remainder of the stay, the employees that I encountered were very welcoming and thoughtful, but they appear to be jewels in a tawdry setting. Someone needs to do something about the physical plant in order to show them off!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business