“Residence Inn at its Best”

Residence Inn Pittsburgh Monroeville/Wilkins Township
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Monroeville
Reviewed 15 May 2014

If this is not the best hotel in the Residence Inn system, I'd like to see the flagship hotel. The suite was immaculate and the service was top-notch. Aspiring hoteliers take note: this is your model.

The exterior design departs from the bland, unimaginative scheme typical of hotels. There are protruding faces which are accentuated by myriad colors. One might even say that there's a hint of Frank Lloyd Wright. The property resembles an upscale condo complex.

The lobby is essentially a great room. The check in/out podiums are to the immediate left, and there are various seating options to the right. Add in a flat-screen television, and it's an appealing leisure space. I can't say that about most hotel lobbies.

The check-in experience could not have been more delightful. After exchanging pleasantries, the associate asked me about what brought me to the hotel. We then spoke for a minute about my journey, and he welcomed to the property. I informed him that my dog was with me, and he checked that the room location would be convenient in/out access. This was a nice touch. He then stepped away from the podium and reviewed the hotel highlights - complimentary hot and cold breakfast, complimentary wireless internet, fitness center, and pool. It was evident that he takes tremendous pride in the hotel

The one-bedroom suite was spacious and felt even more so due to the layout. Upon entering the suite, there was one large room which housed the kitchen, work area, and living space. A door led to a landing area - sink was to the left, bedroom to the right, and shower/toilet behind another door. The layout is ideal for multiple guests. The sink is separate from the shower, and another door closes off the bedroom from the rest of the unit. The décor follows the standard Residence Inn red and gold hues which create an upbeat vibe. It's often the little things which distinguish the superior hotels from others, and that is no exception here. There are bedside reading lamps, a full-length mirror, and a generous assortment of 45 cable channels. There’s even a towel basket in the bathroom.

The hotel is pet-friendly for a $100 sanitation charge. The hotel offers are a few grassy areas for quick relief, but there's no mistaking the greenery for a pasture. While there is a residential area behind the hotel, it's not the most conducive to walking the dog. The streets were fairly narrow, and there were no sidewalks.

Pet aside, this is a good location if you’re without a vehicle. A convenience store and Buffalo Wild Wings are both steps from the hotel. There’s also an Applebee’s and Panera Bread across the street.

In summary, this is one of the few hotels in which I actually felt relaxed in the room. And wished my trip was longer than a quick overnight. This is Residence Inn at its finest.

Pros:
• Layout ideal for multiple occupants
• Little touches make a big difference
• Steps from casual dining

Cons:
• Limited green space for pets

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
PITWM, Manager at Residence Inn Pittsburgh Monroeville/Wilkins Township, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Thank you for the wonderful review. My staff will be glad you hear that this is the best Residence Inn that you have stayed at. Take care.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed in both places during our trip: Home2Suites (H2S) for the first 6 days and followed by 3 days at Residence Inn (RI). Price was the same at $119 + tax per night for king size bed.

Property - H2S win
H2S is newer and more modern than RI but both places are fine. H2S has smoking rooms, but we could never tell. RI is all non-smoking yet for some reason we can't figure out people smoke right in front of the main entrance. Not good.
In both places we had no issues with noise except for other guests being inconsiderate.
RI has no canopy / drive through to protect you in inclement weather so we had the misfortune to unload the car in the rain. Not much fun and not an issue at H2S.

Staff - RI win
Checking was easy in both places and the staff friendliness was great. We had an issue with a room at RI and the staff (Thank you Ja'Sonta )really tried very hard to accommodate our needs.

Room - RI win
Both places had a sofa and small kitchen. RI was bigger (with 2 windows, can open). H2S has one window (can't open) and pull down blind that makes the room completely dark
At H2S we had to take out the dishes from the dishwasher (very loud when in use; no soap was provided) so we used hot water cycle to clean the dishes. RI has a stove top & full size fridge unlike H2S and had dishwashing liquid.

Bed - H2S win
Nice beds in both places, but we preferred the pillow top mattress at H2S.

Bath - H2S win
Modern with walk in shower at H2S. We had to call maintenance since one of the sliding doors was on the point of collapse (fixed promptly). It was that way when we checked in and should have been handled before guest arrival. Also, not using the shower for a day created stinky odor.
RI has traditional bathtub and one huge omission: no night light unlike the very pleasant around the switch LED lights at H2S. And you need to wait for hot water 30 seconds or more at RI unlike almost instant hot water at H2S.
H2S also has Neutrogena products (you need to ask for a body lotion), but the shower floor gets slippery (we did not experience that at RI). Ask for rubber mat.

TV - H2S win
H2S has nice 40 inch HD with Showtime. RI has slightly smaller TV, fewer channels choices and HBO. For whatever reason the TV would lose signal for minute or less at RI periodically. Very annoying.

Internet - RI win
Free (optional wired) on both places, but H2S was much slower (0.95 Mbps down / 0.48 Mbps up). For $4.95 we could get very fast connection at over 20 Mbps (up and down; tested on downstairs hotel desktop).
RI speed was steady 2.74 Mbps down / 0.94 Mbps up and we even recorded 25.61 Mbps down / 6.33 Mbps up (we used speedtest.net to get the results).
Yes, H2S provides free Internet, but calling it high speed is wishful thinking.

Cleanliness - Draw
Both places were spotless.

Breakfast - RI win.
H2S was fine; fresh fruit, microwavable omelets, sandwiches, etc., and we liked the regular (not disposable) plates and silverware, but RI is in our book the new standard that we will now use to measure all other places. If you think of it they have it: fresh fruit, eggs, omelets, bacon, waffles with strawberries & cream, fresh blueberries and even gluten free bagels & muffins. I am skipping many other choices of this simply amazing breakfast buffet.
Also, H2S has USAToday only while RI has USAToday, WSJ (including Saturday edition) and Pittsburgh Gazette (including Sunday edition).

Location - H2S win
If you have business downtown H2S is much easier. It never took us more than 20 min to get there unlike RI. Luckily we never had to go downtown from RI in rush hour, but you can easily spend an hour or more on the slow moving 395. After checking out of RI it took us almost 30 min to drive 5 miles on 395 and we left the freeway way before the tunnel.

Laundry - Draw
H2S: free to use W/D, but bring your own / buy detergent
RI: free detergent, but pay for the W/D

Nearby Services - Draw
TGI Fridays is right across H2S and muddy, under construction field, but not walking distance without getting dirty. Buffalo WW is easy stroll from RI, Panera Bread is across the street. For everything else you need to drive. We preferred the H2S location for our shopping / dinning (most in Cranberry Township). Simply personal preference:

Total wins:
H2S - 5
RI - 4
Draw - 3

You will not go wrong with either place. It all comes down where you need to go. If you need to be in downtown and drive during rush hour H2S is the better choice. If that is not an issue go with RI.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for both hotels. I will share this info with our company. Glad you enjoyed both hotels.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We recently spent the weekend at your hotel. Very friendly staff. Very willing to accommodate. The one bedroom suite was roomy, quiet, and fresh looking. It is such a bonus to have a kitchen if you want to make your own food. The breakfast in the morning was plentiful. Lots of choices and delicious waffles. Very nice patio outdoors with comfortable seating. Even a fire pit for at night if that's what you like to do. The hotel is situated close to downtown Pittsburgh. There are many stores and convenience shops very nearby In case you forget anything. When we return to Pittsburgh we will use your hotel again.

Room Tip: Enjoyed being on the fourth floor – quiet up there.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Glad to hear that you will be returning to our hotel. I will share your comments with the staff.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I just spent five nights at the hotel while on business and have nothing but good things to say about the hotel. From being in a great location near restaurants and stores, to being extremely well maintained and clean, along with the friendly staff who always acknowledged you upon entering or leaving. More importantly, the room was good sized and very comfortable.

The daily breakfast offered was a mix of hot and cold and a wide selection. The occasional Manager's Reception dinner meal offered a light choice as an alternative to going out to eat.

The hotel is also a good choice for visiting downtown Pittsburgh with just a short drive required.

I would easily recommend the hotel.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for staying with us. Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Marion checked me in there was a five minute wait to be checked in she was very friendly. But I was checked into a room someone had clearly been smoking in, I have no Idea how house keeping could have missed this unless it was house keeping whom was smoking in the room. So I call the desk and do they offer to meet me at a new room with the keys? No they ask me and all my luggage to come back to them to get a new room. New room smells and looks clean but at a closer look grout lines in bathroom were filthy I am pretty sure they never sealed them, refrigerator was dented, nicks in the computer desk and tacks from carpet stab your feet if you do not wear shoes. Bed was stiff and made odd sounds when getting into it or moving around.
Evening social was very disappointing hot-dogs in a barbecue sauce with stale buns, the fries were cold and the steam veggies taste freezer burnt. Desert was nice and the girls working were very pleasant. Breakfast was disappointing also Scrabbled eggs were sitting in 1-1/2 inches of water as were the sausage patties, toast had to be put through the toaster twice and juice machine was missing syrup for several of the juices. The potatoes were good.

Now for the kicker and the reason I am taking time to write a review because as all of you seasoned travelers know not every stay is prefect and most little things you let slide as it is not worth the time to invest in attempting to get it corrected or fixed. But as a Platinum Member of Marriott You are offered a choice of point or a market item at a Residents Inn and this is what Marion offered to which I replied I will choice a market item but can I get it at a later time. To which she replied sure you can get it whenever you want. So I was heading down to checkout the next morning and stopped into the market and grabbed some cookies and head to the front desk clerk and tell her room 413 checking out and I will be taking these cookies as my Platinum amenity. She replies to me let me check the computer, then she say where is your ticket for your market item and I told her I never was given a ticket and she said well if Marion checked you in and you said you wanted a market item at a later time she would have given you one. So now I am a liar and apparently trying to just steal the cookies. I told her I do not think I should have to be made to feel like thief and a liar just to get my platinum reward and she could keep her damn cookies and left. I do not remember her name but she seemed to be the only person working that morning. I called the hotel before staying and spoke with someone named Bill and he too was rude and unprofessional.

Room Tip: Do not expect to get an upgrade due to statues . Second floor on the pool and patio side is near lob...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
PITWM, Manager at Residence Inn Pittsburgh Monroeville/Wilkins Township, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you for the feedback. I am sorry that you had a bad experience with us. I will share this review with the staff and make sure these do not happen again.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

The very best thing about this hotel is the breakfast. Very good with lots of variety. The hotel is very clean, quiet and comfortable. The location is the best if touring Pittsburgh since you are literally 20 min max from the city. Easy in and out. Would definitely come again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for the kind review. I will share this with my breakfast staff and hope you stay wityh us again.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We stayed here for 1 night on April 1st. When I checked into the hotel, the female front desk agent wasn't very polite or friendly. I wouldn't say she was rude, but had the "business as usual type attitude". I realize the hotel only has 4 floors, but I booked the hotel through Marriott and did ask to be on a higher floor. I would have preferred the 3rd or 4th floor, but was given a room on the 2nd floor instead. I asked for a higher floor in my reservation just in case of possible noise issues from others above me or from outside the hotel. Maybe being on a higher floor would not have mattered much in this situation, but the front desk agent told me the hotel was NOT full.

At least the parking and Wi-Fi were free and they do have complimentary breakfast. We stayed in a king bedroom suite, but it was on the small side. The full kitchen did a have a full sized refrigerator and microwave. The living area had a chaise couch and a flat screen TV. This is a more modern Residence Inn. It's only about 2 years old. The bathroom had a shower/tub combination with a separate vanity. The water pressure was good. There was also another flat screen TV in the small bedroom.

However, there were some issues with noise very early in the morning and I was unable to sleep well. First, someone's car alarm went off, then landscaping was taking place outside that made it impossible for me to fall back asleep. Being on a higher floor may not have any difference, but I cannot be certain about that.

The location was good. There was a Sheetz gas station right next to the hotel and Rite Aid across from the hotel in a small shopping center. There are plenty of restaurants near the hotel. It only took us about 15 minutes to get to downtown Pittsburgh. This was the 3rd stop on our long trip after staying in Chicago & Cleveland and this was the least amount of sleep I got during all of our hotel stays.

At least checking out was better,it was fast and efficient. It was also handled by someone that was friendlier and more professional. If I'm in the Pittsburgh area again, I probably stay somewhere else that is more quiet so I can sleep better.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
PITWM, Manager at Residence Inn Pittsburgh Monroeville/Wilkins Township, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Thank you for providing feed back regarding your stay with us. I am sorry that the noise from a car alarm and the landscaping troubled your sleep. I will review this with landscaper so that this does not occur again. Also, I'm sorry we were not able to put you on the fourth floor. I will look into this because we try our best to meet all of our guest requests. Thank you again for this opportunity to improve our hotel.