“Choose this location if none other available”

SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Monroeville
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Monroeville
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We checked in on a Saturday night and got to our room about 8. I had tried to check in at 3 pm and was told our room was not ready so we came back after visiting our relatives. We got to our room on the 4th floor and the room was hot. I checked the wall unit (no thermostat at this location) and found that the air conditioner was on fan and the drapes were open. The day was very hot and the sun had been beating in the window most of the day. I switched to high cool and the air coming our was warm. I went back to the desk to reported the uncomfortable temperature of our room and the desk attendant (manager on duty?) said she would have to check on it herself as there is no maintenance available on the weekend. She went up and said there was nothing she could do as they were fully booked and the air was somewhat cool coming out of the unit so we would just have to wait until the room cooled. A few hours later it was at least bearable. I also reported when we first went to the room that there was hair on the bathroom floor and in the bathroom sink. She said she took care of that when she was up there so the room was fine.
We decided to go to the pool and found a note on the door that the pool heater was broken. You could still swim but the water was too cold. My son had to use the restroom so he went to use the one on the first floor off the lobby. He came back and said he needed the key to go to our room as the toilet was overflowing in the men's room. I went to the desk to report the problem. Later there was an out of order sign on the restroom. The pop machine on our floor was broken but there were some on other floors that were working. How convenient!
My son needed something from the car later that evening and when he came back in the elevator was not working. He went to the desk and asked about the elevator and was told that it was overheating and needed to cool down. I thought he probably had heard incorrectly so I verified this with the front desk staff. Indeed that was the problem. The other problem was that we were on the 4th floor. Thankfully we were able to climb 4 flights of stairs. I must admit that I was a little concerned about the elevator overheating causing a fire and being trapped on the 4th floor. Thankfully that didn't happen!
We got a good night's sleep finally and headed down for breakfast about 9 am. The lobby area was full of people and the breakfast area was chaos! Most of the food containers were empty and some of the items were not replenished because they were out of them. April, the breakfast hostess was working very hard and was very pleasant even in all the chaos. My husband and I drink tea so I thought I'd make us tea and wait for the chaos to calm down a little. I got 2 cups out of the hot water container but both contained coffee grounds. I poured them out and started over. Again, they contained coffee grounds or other black floaties. I approached an associate (same manager from night before) to see if I could get some hot water without the floaties and I showed her the cups. She tested it herself as if she didn't believe what I was telling her. She said she would get me some. After about 5 minutes she came back with 1 cup of hot water and I told her again that I needed 2. She went back and got another one.
On Saturday they drained the pool so that you couldn't swim even if you didn't mind the cold water. They did tell us that we could go swim at another Marriott property if we wanted to swim. How convenient to have to go off site to swim.
I approached the front desk to see if they were doing and compensation adjustment or bonus points due to all the issues and of course they are not. This hotel has a new lobby and the rooms have been renovated but obviously the rest of the amenities need some work.
I am a faithful Springhill Suites traveler but I would not suggest this location. The manager on duty on Saturday seemed annoyed that I wasn't happy with a hot room with other peoples hair in the bathroom, She was also there on Saturday morning and was the one I spoke with about the hot water. I am usually patient as I understand things happen but this was way to many broken things for one trip! A better attitude on the manager's part would have helped this situation!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank BUSYMOMFOR4

Reviewed 8 July 2013

The hotel is right off the turnpike and it only takes 20 minutes to get into Pittsburgh. The room was clean and the pool was very small. The staff was nice at check in. I did not notice a problem with noise but we had the fan on all night. The breakfast was ok, the staff had a hard time keeping up with the demand. They ran out of milk and then restocked but only put in 6 cartons. Gone immediately since everyone was eating cereal. Outback Steakhouse and McDonald's close by.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Good hotel, clean comfortable rooms. Staff very friendly. Was driving through Penn from Wisconsin to New Jersey and figured where I wanted to stay for night. This hotel was perfect for that, easy on and off tollway. I did not ask for rooms infront part of hotel but was assigned those anyways. I slept well and had a good breakfast myself and my kids. I would stay there again if driving through. I little pricy for a small town, but not out of line. KIds loved pool and also slept well.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

As stated in other reviews, the rooms are on real suites. We had 2 queens, a sofa bed and a small fridge (no freezer) and a microwave. But it was certainly enough. The staff was great and said hello at every encounter. The indoor pool was ice cold. Breakfast was basic but free.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 24 June 2013

You can read other reviews that tell you about making sure you have a room that faces the front of the property but the bottom line here is that an accountant, a marketer and a developer must have gotten together on this and the result is less than spectacular. The accountant decided to cheapen everything to the lowest cost and the marketer said that was fine as long as they could still call it a suites property. The developer found a lot that was sitting on top of a turnpike ramp (not kidding here) that probably was passed over by many but didn't care. The people running the place are great and the atmosphere is happy but paying 50% more per night than I normally do for a real Suites property that has a full size fridge, cooktop, bedroom door, two TVs, a fan coil unit instead of a window shaker, and an 8 cup coffee maker doesn't make sense to me. My mistake for not digging deeper. It looked good on the map and my favorite brands were full. Breakfast menu also done by the accountant.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I have stayed here before and returned with my family for a baseball tournament in the area. We stayed three nights. Every hotel in the area was booked because of this tournament, and this one was packed with baseball players.

I knew about the toll booths, so we asked for a room on the front without difficulty. Check in was easy, with a friendly girl that I recognized from the last time there. The lobby was recently renovated. The room was clean, comfortable, and quiet.

Because of all the baseball players, getting on the lone elevator without waiting was impossible. We took the stairs. Breakfast was typical Marriott fare and was good. However, the newly renovated room cannot accomodate a full hotel. The employee who worked breakfast was very friendly and checked on us frequently. She talked to just about everybody there with a smile!

At check out, I always like to hand my room keys to somebody at the desk and thank them. When I stopped at the desk, there was nobody there even though the lobby was full. I waited a minute and then laid my keys down and left. This wasn't the only time I noticed the front desk unattended, and if I have something they can improve, this would be it.

Overall, a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the toll booth.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We've stayed at this location several times. The staff is very nice and does everything it can to make your stay comfortable. We knew to ask for a room away from the toll plaza from our prior stays. The room we were given was across the hall from rooms near the toll plaza, but we had no problems with the noise. The A/C in our room was so cold, no matter how we turned it down. We couldn't turn it off or else it would have been too humid. I came home with a terrible sinus and chest cold and my husband and a thing going on too after our first night. Even after 5 days home, I'm still suffering.

The workout room is adequate for a hotel of its size, but the TV on the elliptical machine did not work the entire time we were there. When we stayed there last fall, it was the same issue. Has the TV not been repaired for all of these months? I once again reported it to the front desk clerk.

The wireless internet was good and the breakfast was a typical SpringHill Suites breakfast, very adequate.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room away from the toll plaza.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple