“Okay...NOISY”

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Monroeville
Mason, Michigan
“Okay...NOISY”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

The hotel itself was fine...clean, up to date, etc. The noise from the interstate and toll booth was ridiculous. Our room was on the backside of the hotel. The semis started rolling through the toll booth at about 4:30 am. It sounded like they were rolling through our room. I would not stay here again for this reason. It's really too bad because the room was great.

Room Tip: Make sure to request a room on the front side of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
JoAnn D, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Monroeville, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
While we are very happy that you enjoyed our newly remodelled hotel, we apologize for the regrettable noise from the Turnpike. We have put in place various protocol to try to prevent guest dissatisfaction regarding this matter. We are always striving to find ways to make our guest's stay more enjoyable, and we welcome any and all suggestions for improvement. Thank you for staying with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

Not far from downtown Pittsburgh. Not in a very good area for eating or shopping. Everything was closed early. Beds were comfortable and room was spacious. Descent breakfast. Lemon water, cappuccino, hot chocolate and soft chocolate chip cookies available at check in.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your feedback and nice comments regarding our complimentary amenities. We endeaver to create a welcoming environment with all the comforts of home. We are very sorry that you were unable to enjoy our immediate area more. Our front desk associates are very knowledgeable about places in the Pittsburgh area that have the best shopping, restaurants and nightlife. They are always happy to share their knowledge with our guests and if they don't know something, they will quickly find the information that our guest's are looking for. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to see you again!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Yesterday we (mom, dad, 2 kids) arrived a little after 12 PM, hoping to check in early if possible. The front desk lady made it plain by her demeanor that we were a bother. She said flatly that check-in was at 3:00. I said, "No problem, can you make a call to housekeeping to see if a room might come available before 3?" She said, "I cannot tell you an exact time." I did not ask for an exact time. Again, we were a bother.

I don't know if her response and demeanor were a result of company policy, poor attitude toward customers or just plain laziness. It doesn't matter.

We cancelled the reservation and had a great stay at the Doubletree just a mile down the road. Incidentally, the front desk at the Doubletree was 5 stars!

For those who care, this is a franchised Marriott hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
JoAnn D, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Monroeville, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
I was appalled when the Assistant Manager relayed to me what had happened. The associate that you spoke with that day is not longer employed here. We take our customer service very seriously and will not tolerate anything that affects our guest's satisfaction. I'm sure that if you chose to stay with us again, you would see that we offer "6" star service. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience and would like the opportunity to prove to you our level of professionalism and customer service excellence.
Hull
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We checked in late at night after our first day of 12 hours of road. Feeling exhausted and looking ragged my family was chomping at the bit to check in and catch the overtime of the Penguins/Bruins game. Carolyn at the front desk checked us in quickly and we were able to catch the Bruins win. The next morning April was at the bkfst buffet and provided a friendly smile and welcome conversation. Since it was raining our plans for Kennywood were nixed but she made some suggestions of things to do in Pittsburg. We went to the Heinz museum which I would highly recommend to get a feel of the city's history.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Southern New Jersey
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed for one night on our journey. Hotel was updated and absolutely spotless. Would definitely stay again. Staff very friendly and welcoming. Hot breakfast, free, even included cappachino machine. A winner at a decent price!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank moodylu
Roanoke, Texas
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We had 2 days to rest up in the hotel on our road trip while our granddaughter visited her aunt in Pittsburgh. We had no place to go until check in time the first day, but Brittany, who is very nice, let us check in late morning. Her name tag hometown said Fredericksburg, PA, but should be VA. They had tried to add an h to the end like Pittsburgh, but when they tried to fix it they changed it PA. I guess she gave up. She also recommended a good restaurant to get a steak at lunch (Steel City Steakhouse on Mosside Blvd). Hats off to April Brinza, the breakfast manager who is very friendly and all the guests love her demeanor and the fantastic spread every morning. The housekeepers and maintenance man were also good to us and we appreciate it. The reviews are correct in that the hotel backs up to the PA Turnpike toll booth, but we hardly could tell due to the thick drapes and thick window glass. If that concerns you ask for a room in the front.

We like SpringHill Suites because the rooms are larger than most Marriotts. We had 2 queens, but if you get a king, the partitioned living area is larger. The area of concern was that the hotel ownership has opted to provide no digital or HD channels on the flat screen LG's. 100% analog, except for the Monroeville community affairs channel is digital. I would not stay here again if we were going to be in the hotel most of the day and evening again. Otherwise, I would have given an excellent rating. The hotel does provide the Pittsburgh paper in addition to the USA Today. Also, it is close to the Monroeville Mall and many restaurants nearby, including an Outback Steakhouse within walking distance. There is a miniature golf course within a block.
In addition to easy access to the Turnpike, I-376 is nearby and will zip you right into downtown Pittsburgh. Monroeville is a very nice suburb.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front do not back up to the Turnpike. Try to avoid being across from the ice machine ro...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
OSWEGO,IL
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We checked in on a Saturday night and got to our room about 8. I had tried to check in at 3 pm and was told our room was not ready so we came back after visiting our relatives. We got to our room on the 4th floor and the room was hot. I checked the wall unit (no thermostat at this location) and found that the air conditioner was on fan and the drapes were open. The day was very hot and the sun had been beating in the window most of the day. I switched to high cool and the air coming our was warm. I went back to the desk to reported the uncomfortable temperature of our room and the desk attendant (manager on duty?) said she would have to check on it herself as there is no maintenance available on the weekend. She went up and said there was nothing she could do as they were fully booked and the air was somewhat cool coming out of the unit so we would just have to wait until the room cooled. A few hours later it was at least bearable. I also reported when we first went to the room that there was hair on the bathroom floor and in the bathroom sink. She said she took care of that when she was up there so the room was fine.
We decided to go to the pool and found a note on the door that the pool heater was broken. You could still swim but the water was too cold. My son had to use the restroom so he went to use the one on the first floor off the lobby. He came back and said he needed the key to go to our room as the toilet was overflowing in the men's room. I went to the desk to report the problem. Later there was an out of order sign on the restroom. The pop machine on our floor was broken but there were some on other floors that were working. How convenient!
My son needed something from the car later that evening and when he came back in the elevator was not working. He went to the desk and asked about the elevator and was told that it was overheating and needed to cool down. I thought he probably had heard incorrectly so I verified this with the front desk staff. Indeed that was the problem. The other problem was that we were on the 4th floor. Thankfully we were able to climb 4 flights of stairs. I must admit that I was a little concerned about the elevator overheating causing a fire and being trapped on the 4th floor. Thankfully that didn't happen!
We got a good night's sleep finally and headed down for breakfast about 9 am. The lobby area was full of people and the breakfast area was chaos! Most of the food containers were empty and some of the items were not replenished because they were out of them. April, the breakfast hostess was working very hard and was very pleasant even in all the chaos. My husband and I drink tea so I thought I'd make us tea and wait for the chaos to calm down a little. I got 2 cups out of the hot water container but both contained coffee grounds. I poured them out and started over. Again, they contained coffee grounds or other black floaties. I approached an associate (same manager from night before) to see if I could get some hot water without the floaties and I showed her the cups. She tested it herself as if she didn't believe what I was telling her. She said she would get me some. After about 5 minutes she came back with 1 cup of hot water and I told her again that I needed 2. She went back and got another one.
On Saturday they drained the pool so that you couldn't swim even if you didn't mind the cold water. They did tell us that we could go swim at another Marriott property if we wanted to swim. How convenient to have to go off site to swim.
I approached the front desk to see if they were doing and compensation adjustment or bonus points due to all the issues and of course they are not. This hotel has a new lobby and the rooms have been renovated but obviously the rest of the amenities need some work.
I am a faithful Springhill Suites traveler but I would not suggest this location. The manager on duty on Saturday seemed annoyed that I wasn't happy with a hot room with other peoples hair in the bathroom, She was also there on Saturday morning and was the one I spoke with about the hot water. I am usually patient as I understand things happen but this was way to many broken things for one trip! A better attitude on the manager's part would have helped this situation!

1 Thank BUSYMOMFOR4