“Disappointed”

Ranked #2 of 2 Montrose B&B and Inns
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Let me start off by saying, it was very clean at the hotel, that is not why I was disappointed. First of all, we did not stay at the Inn, we were assigned to stay at The Montrose Hotel that the Inn also operates. When I called, I was told there was a "chance" we would be at the hotel, I really wanted to be at the Inn because it looked nicer and it was walking distance to the shopping we came for, and it was for our wedding anniversary. When we arrived, the person told us that the Inn was "booked months in advance" and we would be at the hotel. Not much we could do so we had to go back through construction and go to the hotel.

We were a bit confused about where our room was because it said 20_ but the signs on the outsides of the doors just said 1-9 and 10-17. We just went in and luckily found our room (no front desk or anything at this hotel). Like I said before, the room was clean but it was very oddly decorated. You can tell this hotel is used for the workers, because it had a huge wardrobe in it taking up a huge chunk of space.

Our main gripe was with the bathroom and the air conditioning. The lighting was terrible in the bathroom, only one light and the black shower curtain made it hard to see while in the shower. Toilet is so close to the wall it caused some issues with my left handed husband. And the shower head came to about my neck (I am 5'6) so I had to bend down to even wash my hair. My poor husband who is 6'3 had trouble even showering because of this. Not sure why it was set up that way. The air conditioning would run for a bit then turn off and never run again. Not sure what was up with it, but it got a little hot during the night because of this issue.

For what we paid I just expected a bit more in terms of comfort and quality. It is also VERY noisy at the hotel, especially when they were doing construction. I woke up a few times during the night and even then I could hear all kinds of cars and noises, and the hotel sits back a decent bit from the road. I just know better next time to stay somewhere else since we would probably get stuck at the hotel again.

Room Tip: Make sure to stay at the Inn. Hotel rooms are very noisy and the air doesn't work well.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SaraL403

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Riverdale, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Friendly helpful staff, clean rooms, great restaurant, just perfect. Montrose is a small old town and this place was a lucky find for us. If ever up in that area again I would not hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Col_Jessup
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Stayed at this hotel while on business. Very clean and nice, with a great bar and excellent "high end quality" resteraunt downstairs. Excellent experience all the way around.

A little pricier than you might expect given the "in the country" location, but with the oil and gas business leasing up all the hotel rooms in the region, it is to be expected I guess with supply and demand reationale applied.

The management witll work with you on a weekly or monthly rate if asked and are very helpful.

Room Tip: Get a 2nd floor room, the building is nice and renovated, but an old building that creaks a bit on t...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Charles H
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 March 2013

First let me say the front desk staff were super helpful and nice. From the outside it looks like an antique-filled inn, but the room interior was very utilitarian, which was OK for us, but not anything fancy at all. Very clean.

Montrose is very rural and many guests are connected to the natural gas industry, so there is a little bit of a roughneck atmosphere. We ate in the restautant/ bar. One sandwich was above average (chicken) the other was below (reuben). The place was lively on a Thursday night. One bartender (the guy who had to cook) actually lied to me about the existence of a beer list because he just didn't want to deal with waiting for a woman to pick out a beer. His co-worker overheard, very nicely handed me the list and was as nice as could be.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank d_odomok
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2011

This Inn was modern and clean and the staff were welcoming and friendly. We had a very small room with no windows and only a skylight, but we were warned it was the last room available! The Inn and their sister Hotel in town are nearly always full in the week because of the oil workers in the region at the moment. However, if you can get a room, we would recommend it. We were not expecting the facilities that were available - guest laundry and a nice coffee making machine. The food downstairs at the Inn was delicious and of a very good quality and our server was great. Good for a short stay in this area.

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MrsBWooster
Swoyersville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 July 2011

I live local but didn't want to travel back and forward for the rehearsal night into the wedding day so we stayed up in Montrose this weekend. Arrived to find an amazing outside setting with an modern outside Patio all lite up with tons of costumers enjoying the summer evening. We traveled through the Bar and Restaurant area to get to the Hotel Desk. Beautiful building inside and out... can't speak for the bar and food but my friends said its worth trying so maybe next trip we will try it out.

Our room was #6 cute little cozy set up with a full size bed, flat screen TV, Ref./ microwave, nice size bathroom, closet, dresser & a little antique desk. I felt right at home... also love the modern yet western feel artwork hanging in the hallways and rooms nice little local touch. The set up was lovely... I really was pleased I would recommend anyone to stay there even for a little weekend get away.

Room Tip: Room #6 it was at the end of the hall, quite!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TM1022

Been to The Inn at Montrose? Share your experiences!