“Comfortable stay.”

Courtyard Scranton Wilkes-Barre
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Moosic
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We were here 2 nights for a convention in nearby Wilkes-Barre and found it to be very adequate! The room was very nice and clean and the king bed was very comfortable. It is a hotel in a lovely wooded location. The only thing that was not functioning properly was our refrigerator in our room, which barely kept things cold. We never used the Bistro for breakfast choosing to go somewhere else, so I can't comment on that. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and I would stay there again and I would recommend it to someone else.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We were in town for a family event, and had multiple family members in multiple rooms. The rooms are fairly standard -- clean & comfortable, standard for a Marriott Courtyard. I don't particularly care for the "Bistro" breakfast; the food is good, but gets a bit expensive and is more convenient for a family with kids to have the included breakfast buffet. The real standout at this hotel is the staff - very warm & friendly.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

I just received a voicemail two days ago stating my reservation for August that I made in January is being changed to a hotel in Wilkes Barre. This reservation was made for the Peach Music Fest. Staying in Wilkes Barre is no way equal to staying at this location. The manager refused to correct my reservation to remain in the room I booked. I was also told 56 reservations were moved to Wilkes Barre. IF YOU NEED A RESERVATION IN MOOSIC I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU MAKE IT AT ONE OF THE OTHER HOTELS AT MONTAGE MOUNTAIN. WHAT HOTEL MAKES 56 Overbooked reservations. The staff and manager don't care. Could not get a response from the manager until I contacted customer care. Still waiting for a solution!

Room Tip: Make a reservation at a reliable hotel if you don't want the hotel to decide what city you stay...
5  Thank Annette S
Reviewed 22 July 2014

After a long day of driving on this road trip, we were all really looking forward to a comfortable night. Another disappointment.
After checking in and checking the beds, we donned swimsuits and headed to the extremely small swimming pool. The pool water was pretty cold but thankfully the hot tub was warm and actually working! The pool is small and the water here was strange also - but that didn't deter the huge number of seemingly unsupervised children who were doing their best to splash all of the water out of the pool. To complement the size of the pool, the towels were also small. When I first walked in I could find no towels. I called the front desk and the lady said she was on her way down with some. When she arrived with a stack of about ten, I grabbed three for my family. Another man was in there watching his kids and he told me that he had been bringing towels down from his room. There had been a shortage of pool towels during his stay and the towels they brought down were small. When I unfolded one of the ones I had brought down, I could only laugh. It was smaller than the bath mat up in the room.
And then the room. The beds were just double beds rather than queen size and were again very hard but at least clean. The room itself was clean, but the bathroom had stains on the ceiling from poor installation of the wallpaper? Maybe.
Breakfast was included with the price of our room, along with a choice of one drink. If I wanted juice with my coffee it was extra. We placed the order at the counter and then took seats where they would bring the food to us. Ants crawled up my son's leg while we waited for the food to arrive. Had it been more than two we probably would have given up and headed to a fast food restaurant. Back in the room I was able to fix a cup of tea utilizing the one tea bag which was provided. I understand that most people want coffee but it's irritating when only one tea bag is provided - it isn't that expensive.
Overall, the Courtyard is my least favorite amongst Marriott's chain of hotels. When we first pulled up I thought we were in for a treat. This particular hotel is nestled amongst trees and has beautiful landscaping and a fire-pit with seating around it in the back. Unfortunately, the inside didn't go with the outside at all!

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Tired...the only adjective needed to describe this place. I only stayed at this hotel for one night, luckily. I travel a lot for work and I've seen a lot of hotels. This one falls below the mark for the following reasons: visible mold along the top of the wallpaper in the bathroom; food crumbs left all over the carpet; hairs everywhere; treadmill that isn't safe. I don't know how old this place is but they need to do some major updates. On the plus side, it is quiet and in a great area.

Stayed: July 2014
jrock3, General Manager at Courtyard Scranton Wilkes-Barre, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us here on Tripadvisor. I would like to offer my most sincere apologies for the frustrations that you were faced with during your stay. I can assure you that these issues are not something that I take lightly, and I will be sure to share this with my staff. I would be interesting in speaking with you, so please do not hesitate to reach out to me. Thank you for your business.

Jeremy Rockmaker

Reviewed 11 July 2014

My spouse and I were disappointed with this hotel, since we've had better experiences at other Marriotts before. It wasn't all terrible, but there were some noticeable problems. The room smelled musty like a gym locker, there was pink mold on the inside of the shower curtain, and the bathroom was supplied only with 2 bath towels and 1 hand towel - so no bath mat or washcloths. The workout room was dirty, had no water in the water cooler, and the single treadmill machine needed repair. The chairs and carpet in the bistro/bar area were dirty and stained. The staff seemed tired and as if they wanted to provide good service but were limited in their power to do so. We ordered food at the Bistro, and the server got our order wrong, plus took 1/2 hour to make a BLT sandwich (we were the only people there besides one other couple). Most annoyingly though, Hotel Manager stood at the front desk as we checked in and recommended we try the "Manager's Special" on drinks that evening. The special was supposed to be 50% off wine, beer and mixed drinks. So my husband ordered a mixed drink, but when we got our bill, there was no discount. When he inquired about the bill, the server said that there was an error with the cash register, which only the Bar Manager (a different person than the Hotel Manager) could override. Unfortunately, the Bar Manager was "not in" that evening, so we were charged full price!!! We filled out and dropped off a customer (dis)satisfaction survey as we checked out in the morning. Haven't heard anything back yet from Marriott, but if I do I'll update this review.

1  Thank Marcelle C

I would like to apologize for the experience you had while staying with us. I will be sure to address each and every point that you brought up. This will be reviewed with the staff so we can learn from this and offer a much different experience going forward. Please feel free to reach out to me directly so we can discuss this in more detail. I would like to thank you for your business and hope you will return to us so we can show you the hotel in a different light.

Jeremy Rockmaker

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We recently had a weekend stay here for a wedding. And although this may seem small, it was huge for me and my husband and others from our family that stayed. The problem, "24 hour complimentary coffee in the lobby" was advertised, (in the room brochure no less), but Marriot has decided not to offer this service anymore. When I inquired at the front desk, they said, "yes, there is a coffee pot in your room." Really?! Marriott?!! How cheap can you be. And they actually ran out of coffee packets for the room! Of course there is a Bistro in the lobby where you can BUY your coffee and that is fine if you want a nice starbucks coffee. But first thing in the morning or in the evening, it's always nice to have it available, free in the lobby. So. why stay at Marriott hotels anymore when you can get free coffee and usually free breakfast at many other hotel chains that are comparable to Marriott.

I'm a Marriott rewards member, but this experience has changed my mind about them. Cheap, cheap, cheap!

Let me say though that this decision was not favored by the staff; they were wonderful, helpful, and very friendly. The hotel was conveniently located, and clean; but so are many other hotels in this area that offer free coffee in the lobby!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank DarleneBy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moosic
TownePlace Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre
SpringHill Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre
Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain
Hilton Scranton & Conference Center
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#4 of 10 in Scranton
Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton

Been to Courtyard Scranton Wilkes-Barre? Share your experiences!