“Beautiful and delicious - loved it!”

Chanterelle Inn & Cottages
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 27 October 2013

The Stay: We stayed in one of the cottages. With high ceilings and open layout, the cottage felt spacious and was the perfect size for the two of us. These cottages were saved from the landfill and were fully refurbished to have a rustic and homey feeling. The only downside was not being able to enjoy the porch because of the large flowering bush which attracted bees. Thankfully, you can enjoy the same beautiful valley view from the safety of inside, where we ate breakfast every morning. We loved our stay and would go back again.

The Food: We had dinner here once and it was outstanding from start to finish. Be sure to call ahead and make a reservation because it is a small kitchen/dinning room. Highlighting fresh, local ingredients, and cooked with heart, Chanterelle is not a spot to miss. With a menu that lets you know exactly where your food comes from, we were impressed by the fact that my Halibut dinner was line-caught. We were then told the fisherman just lives "down the way." Sharing their passion for great, local food just comes naturally here.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ChawaJen
ebusch, Owner at Chanterelle Inn & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Thank you for your most generous review of the cottage---and your appreciation of our environmental practices including the rescue of the cottages from a land-fill! It is unfortunate that you were not comfortable on the verandah because of the bees at the honeysuckle vine. They are so endangered and they make such lovely honey for our dining room.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

We came to the Inn needing directions to the nearest gas station. We were so impressed we stayed for dinner and the night....nothing could have been better. A wonderful room filled with lovely antiques, a wonderful dinner, searching for chanterelles in the pouring rain, an amazing breakfast, a fun hostess and cook, nice other guests....and directions to the gas station.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Susan K

One of those great serendipitous happenings that make innkeeping such a fun business to be I Thank you! We so enjoyed having you with us and hope you "drop in" again.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

We only visited the Chanterelle for dinner, which was well worth it. Very quiet setting - seems it mostly caters for the visitors who are staying there as it is a bit of a drive to get there from Baddeck or the other towns on the Cabot Trail.

The appetizer (tomato soup with basil) was very good. The entree (baked sole) was divine. The potato flour chocolate cake with ganache was so-so. The service was just OK.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review and for coming out from Baddeck. Yes, a 25 minute drive but fortunately a beautiful one with views of St. Ann's Harbour. I'm glad you liked the tomato soup (we do get great tomatoes from the Farmers' Market that time of year) and the sole but am disappointed you did not enjoy our signature Chocolate Potato Cake. The recipe calls for fresh mashed potatoes (not potato flour) and we use pure butter, organic chocolate and flour and beautiful Cape Breton fresh eggs. And I apologize that the service was not up to your expectations either. I hope someday you will return so we can enhance your view of the Chanterelle.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed here as part of a group and bought into the Cape Breton Sampler package for three nights stay. Sadly, despite our hostess's assurance that on the whale watch we were virtually guaranteed to see whales, we didn't. The sailing shouldn't have taken off (a large proportion of those on board vomited prolifically), but although we were told we could re-book by the tour company for another day, we didn't have time to do so. I certainly don't hold the Chanterelle responsible, but it is a caution that the package may not be worth taking up unless you have plenty of time in the area. Hiking advice from our hostess was helpful, but otherwise the two days of trips (taken in the order she advised) were too much driving. The Bird Island tour was fantastic (though the proprietor and his son are indeed the quirky characters Earlene told us).
Our room in the main house was pleasant but without views or some of the amenities I would expect from "Award winning accommodation" - complimentary toiletries in named bottles would have been nice (and useful given my allergies, see below), and I guess I expect rooms to have a hot water jug, etc. However, the staff were very obliging and provided hot water, tea and ice upon request (though they ran out of ice on our last night, and we came back to darkness and no staff on the last night, so no tea or hot water!).
We dined in twice and were fine with signalling our main course dish before we went out. The meals were, however, below what we had hoped for - perhaps we had been mislead by the 2008 Local Food Heroes recognition - what we experienced on the two evenings we ate in was good home cooking. Breakfast, however, was disappointing. Unless you enjoy pastry-less quiche first thing in the morning, the offer was restricted to granola, yogurt and toast and accompaniments (great jam). Since granola contains nuts, this was ruled out, and I would have expected a wider variety of cereals and hot food. Bread that does not to contain nuts would also be good (the manager was alerted to my nut allergy).
It is certainly a nice, tranquil place to stay and staff are extremely peasant and helpful. Do go, but be cautious about booking the package for the reasons above. My review is longer than I usually write because I have to echo some earlier reviews (only one by a companion in my party) and I was sorry to read Earlene Busch's defensive responses. No doubt mine will evoke one too, but we can only write as we find.

Room Tip: If you want to make your own coffee/tea, choose a cabin rather than main house.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
ebusch, Owner at Chanterelle Inn & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Thank you for taking time to review your experience here at the Inn. I regret your stay did not meet your expectations. The Chanterelle is a small inn with a limited staff in a rather remote area of Cape Breton and we make no representations otherwise. In response, I offer the following facts:
* Assurances regarding the whale watch. The assurances are those of the whale tour operator; but yes, I did tell you that that was their policy. In our four years of working with them, this is the first time no whales were sited.
* Experiencing the Main attractions of Cape Breton does require driving. However, the itinerary I suggest is designed to minimize the driving and maximize the experience.
* Views/room-The best views of the area are from the verandah from which we serve both breakfast and dinner. Yes, the windows in the room are higher than typical because the roof had to be designed to support the solar panels. I installed solar panels to reduce our environmental footprint in such a pristine area.
*amenities-Yes, we do not offer toiletries because of our efforts to reduce the use of plastics. Instead, we give the hand-made Cape Breton tartan bags and Chanterelle coasters as gifts.
* "came back to darkness and no staff on the last night--Our last staff member signed out at 11:00p.m.on the night in question. Again, we are a small inn with a limited number of staff.
* Local Food. Approximately 90% of the menu ingredients were sourced from local growers and producers. It is not clear in what way you were "misled".
*Breakfast disappointing. That morning, I presented three house-made quiches: fresh seafood, vegetarian, and the classic bacon and cheese. All were consumed. I eliminate the crust to accommodate guests who are gluten intolerant. Our breakfast consists of one hot offering and a variety of cold offerings such as fresh fruit, juice, organic granola with wild cranberries, artisanal cheeses, house-made yogurt, bread, a pastry such as muffins or oat cakes, coffee and teas. We do not have the staff to prepare a variety of other dishes.
*The granola does not nor did it then contain nuts. It is made in-house and therefore I know exactly what is in it. None of the bread contained nuts either.
Our chef went out of his way to prepare a special amuse bouche to accommodate your nut allergy at dinner.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

This inn was my favorite place to stay during a two week road trip around the Maritime area of Canada. Chanterelle, perched on top of a hill overlooking a beautiful mountain range, is environmentally friendly in so many ways: locally sourced foods, green detergents, and a wind turbine on the property. The surrounding nature seems grateful, as hummingbirds and blue jays regularly accompany you during meals, and foxes and other wildlife hang around the property. The owner, a lovely lady from Colorado, proudly describes the nearby farms where the food comes from as she serves the meals expertly prepared by an incredible chef. The dinner we enjoyed at this inn was the best meal we had on our entire trip, my mouth is still watering a week later. I highly recommend Chanterelle Inn to anyone traveling along the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton Island.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IleanaFS

Thank you for taking time to write a review of your stay at the Inn---you brought such positive energies!. Our chef was very pleased you enjoyed the dinners. We felt honored that you chose to stay with us on your honeymoon and wish you a long and happy life together.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

I stayed at this inn as part of a group hiking trip. It was a beautiful place to stay and the dinner was truly exceptional. If you are going through this part of Cape Breton, this is a great place to stay.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your most generous review. We always look forward to hosting hiking groups as they appear to appreciate the cuisine, area and our efforts to be environmentally friendly. We hope you return.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

I am conflicted to whether to rate this as average or very good. It would likely be in between if that option were offered. Lovely and peaceful setting but I left somewhat disappointed. We stayed in the main Inn and our room seemed a bit cramped and dark for the money. Although it looked out over gorgeous countryside the only window was relatively small and high up so you had to stand in front of it to see the spectacular view. In such a great setting a room with a view would have made a difference, The common areas downstairs were very nice and we had a lovely dinner on the screened in porch where there was a good sense of community among guests and hummingbird darting between feeders. As others have commented the menu is limited but we were each happy to choose from the three mains offered and enjoyed our meal. Breakfast (included in our room rate) on the same porch was somewhat disappointing notwithstanding the glorious morning. When we came down at 8:30 we were told that the hot food had been taken back into the kitchen to keep warm - that was quite understandable. Regrettably when it came back out the "quiche" was lukewarm at best and one hot item is not what I would consider to be a hot buffet. I am not looking for a lavish spread but this was underwhelming. Cold buffet included granola, local plums, fruit cut up on a plate, yogurt, preserves, bread to toast and apple butter in a container that was disappointingly almost empty.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
CapeBretonFresh, Owner at Chanterelle Inn & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Thank you for taking time to review the Inn. We always appreciate feedback. In answer to your comments:
Windows high. Yes, 'tis true. The inn was built maximally to reduce its environmental footprint: the entire structure and setting were subordinated to the requirements of the solar panels covering the back roof. The roof design determined the window height. The greatest view is from the verandah, which affords a 180 degree view of the North River Valley and where guests like to sit and where we serve both dinner and breakfast.

I am not totally clear what your expectations were about a "hot breakfast" . Small inns and B&Bs do not have the staffing to do "short order" cooking when it has 15+ guests for breakfast. I apologize for the quiche being only lukewarm. Keeping eggs of any sort hot for over an hour is challenging. As to the apple butter container being empty: It would have been such a simple matter to have let me know (as I made several jars of it last fall from the wild apples). I would have been pleased to know that you enjoyed it.

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed the food.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North River Bridge
#2 of 2 in Indian Brook
Trailsman Motel
Trailsman Motel
#6 of 7 in Baddeck

Been to Chanterelle Inn & Cottages? Share your experiences!