All reviewsgranolablue jayscabot trailthe cottagescape bretonhumming birdsa lovely place to staynova scotialocal farmerslobstereach eveningthree nightsrooms are comfortableblueberry pancakesfiddleheadsstayed for one nightspent two nights
Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

We didn't stay overnight but ate at the lovely restaurant where we had great service, refined cuisine, good local beer and wine, and a very pleasant view of the hills as the fog rolled in. Highly recommended!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
ebusch, Owner at Chanterelle Country Inn & Cottages, Ltd., responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2017

Thank you for your most complimentary review. We appreciate the support you give to us in our support of our growers, farmers and fishers. We hope you come back!

Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

My girlfriend and I spent two nights here. Very lovely place. Very clean and quiet. The dinner was very tasty and the service is top notch. The scenery is beautiful. A lovely place to stay. Hidden away up on a hill, a wonderful retreat. The place is priced reasonably well, you get what you pay for, high quality.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
CapeBretonFresh, Owner at Chanterelle Country Inn & Cottages, Ltd., responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2017

Thank you for your most generous review---truly inspirational!

Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

This was a cute little place but not perfect. We definitely enjoyed staying there and I would recommend it for sure, but there are some small areas for improvement.

Pros:
- Really good food. The breakfast the first morning was delicious and the chef was really great about my allergy. We went for dinner one night and the lobster was caught that day; incredible! So you really do have to make a reservation if you want dinner there. Not optional.
- Nice view from the cottages.
- Friendly service.
- Cute little cottage.
- Very accommodating, set up a crib and baby blankets for us.

Areas for Improvement:
- Breakfast day two wasn't nearly as good as day one, and the inconsistency bothered us. It's 15 bucks each and we went the second day because the first day was so good. The second day breakfast wasn't quite worth it. It's not really a buffet as described on the website.
- The wifi in the cottages didn't work for the two nights we were there and you don't get cell service, so it was a little annoying.
- They told us a couple things in the room were gifts only after we checked out. Not a big deal but I would have enjoyed keeping them and didn't have time to go back to the cottage.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa W

Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed breakfast on the first day and regret that you did not on the second day. We do a buffet when we have 6 guests or more.

We have never advertised that the cottages have wi-fi because the transformer interferes with it. We asked the guests in the cottages to come into the inn if the wi-fi is unreliable. Cell service is not available for the the entire area, not just the Chanterelle.

Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

We went there for a special dinner. We read rave reviews, and there really aren't any special places to eat that were open. We didn't want the silver dart motel, as it's a bus touristy type of place. Re Telegraph house was not yet open for dinner. Unfortunately, Chanterelle, had a flood and was under renovation. The owner and her helper tried very hard to make it special. The chef was absent, and the menu limited. There was only one other couple there. The halibut, which I was craving, was delicious. The owner was very accommodating.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cachirulatravels
ebusch, Owner at Chanterelle Country Inn & Cottages, Ltd., responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2017

Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am glad you enjoyed the freshly caught halibut. I regret that we were unable to get the hearth room set up in time to accommodate you for dinner. We are one of the few accommodation properties that serve dinner that early in the season, the wisdom of which I often question. It would be definitely easier but then guests to the area would be hard-pressed to find a place to eat.

Reviewed 1 December 2016

I do not recommend this inn.
We stayed here for 2 nights in August and were very excited because of all the great reviews. It was supposed to be a highlight of our 3 week east coast road trip.
My issues:
1. Constant pressure to eat at their "100 mile restaurant" (emails and calls before our stay, pressure everytime we walked through the lobby, signs in our room etc.). As avid hikers, we had long days planned and did not plan on returning for dinner. Guests should not feel pressured to eat at the inn.
2. Our toilet was broken and was running water the entire time. My husband is a handy-man and said it was old, and not eco-friendly despite the signs everywhere about being eco-friendly.
3. Breakfast was poorly executed and we left hungry both mornings. The serving table had enough food on it for 6 people - not the 20 guests that were eating with us. Meat was passed by the owner and she said she didn't have enough meat for us to have more than 1 small sausage each and 1 slice of bacon the next morning. The owner was the only staff member and she was so busy checking people out that there was no food on the table.
4. The internet kept going down and the owner said she did not know how to fix it. If you are running an inn, you should know how to unplug a modem and re-set.

The place is overpriced and uses the term eco-friendly to justify kitchy servic and lack of food. I felt it was necessary to post our experience, because I would have liked to read it before spending $200/night.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 186311Aileen
ebusch, Owner at Chanterelle Country Inn & Cottages, Ltd., responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2016

Thank you for taking your time to write.I am quite confused about the issues you raised although it has been almost 3 1/2 months since you were here so I may very well have forgotten.
1. Constant pressures to eat here. Calls? e-mails? Signs in the room? Perhaps you got an automatic e-mail from our booking engine. I stopped that feature as I thought it was too impersonal so you may have gotten that, regrettably. Signs in the rooms? We do not have any such signs. At the time of booking , you asked about The Bite House, who also serves local cuisine. We sent the e-mail contact to you for them.
2. Broken toilet. This was fixed within the day. And, yes they are eco-friendly as the tank is rated. There are no signs about our eco-friendliness unless it is the certificate from Trip Advisor that we had attained the 2016 "platinum" rating as a Green Leader.
3. Breakfast poorly executed, left hungry. That must surely be a first because so many guests have told us our breakfasts also serve them well for lunch. We always had a little bit left over be it juice, house-made granola, house-made yogurt, fruit plate, eggs, bread, jam, oat cakes or muffins and we replenished these constantly. I like to keep the sausage and bacon warm in the kitchen because the breakfast buffet is served for almost two hours. Also, it gives me an opportunity to talk with everyone as I am in the kitchen for dinner and don't get to visit then. I simply ask what anyone would like to have and have never told anyone that there wasn't enough. It may be that I needed to check people out but that has rarely been a problem as I have a very able assistant in the kitchen.
4. Internet going down. I simply do not remember such an instance and if I did, I certainly do know the first steps and would have made an effort to correct it.
5. Price. The room price was $160, not $200.