“Just Lovely” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Mount Bethel B&B and Inns
Riverdale, New York
“Just Lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2010

This place is a modern bed and breakfast. No toile, ugly furniture or cats.
It's antique chic. It was clean and very quiet. The room was very spacious as all the reviews stated with lovely views...even in winter. If your disappointed in this place then you are just cranky with life. The breakfast could be a tad bit better so don't get your hopes up about it. It's not awful at all, I just like everything freshly made and not store bought muffins.
You can't go wrong with this place.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank love2eat016

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2010

My girlfriend and I went to the Chelsea Sun for a weekend for her birthday as a way to get out of the city and spent some alone time. As soon as we got there I smiled at the fresh country air and wallowed in the silence of it all. The Sun is near a village with all the necessary conveniences one may need while out in the country, where we went for dinner one night, though all we could have asked for was at the Sun itself. The place is a mansion in the middle of Pennsylvania, with a pool and barbecue area where, by the way, we grilled some steaks while drinking wine under the moonlight, frogs croaking in the distance.
The suite was enormous and filled with sunlight in the mornings, making for a very pleasant start of the day. The bedroom had its own fireplace and a table and chairs, though we spent most of our time there tucked in the king size bed, four-postered and all. The suite had a living room attached just for us, with a couch and a flat screen where I could relax while my girl was getting ready. The Bathroom was huge as well, with windows providing a vantage of the surrounding countryside while taking a warm shower.
The whole place is pristine and new. The dining area has a long, long table with a massive throne at each end, beside the smaller thrones alongside. There we had our breakfasts and lingered one night sipping from a bottle of wine made on the very grounds. There is also the lobby and lofty living area, the Sun having two floors, the living area is two floors high. Here there is a huge fireplace at its heart and plenty of furniture to lounge at, where we had a chance to interact with the other couple staying there, making for great conversation after a day of exhausting hikes. To my delight, there was even a baby grand piano there, where I sat down and played some tunes for my girl and our newfound friends.
But enough about the house. The Chelsea Sun has its own winery, beside other cultivated fields, and we were given a tour of the vineyard by the wine maker himself, who thereafter took us to the winery proper where he showed us the process of making wine and provided us with various samples to taste the difference between one and another. I have always been a wannabe wine maker, and that day I felt like pro, as did my girl, who was even more keen than I, and asked every question possible, all of which the guy happily answered.
There are also a couple of animals in the farm, goats and sheep, which we fed bales of hay, and a small coup full of hens, from where we snatched a couple of fresh country eggs. Nothing like it.
Now the same road that we took to get to the Chelsea Sun allowed us to drive deeper into the country, where we went to the Big Pocono State Park to hike for a day. There were also the Bushkill Falls and the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, all three of which are about a half an hour's drive from the Sun. This was in the autumn, when all the colors were turning, and we hiked to our hearts content, lost in a world of browns, yellows and reds.
With all this we had an amazing weekend and my girlfriend was very happy, which made me very happy. I am looking forward to another visit soon, maybe in a different season of the year, where we can get away from it all and bask in the calm Pennsylvania countryside.

2 Thank MikeFlemming
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2010

Hired a car and drove from NYC for the weekend, place was recommended by a friend, the Autumn colors - arrived late Friday and were greeted by Holly, who gave us a quick tour of the inns interior, the room was spacious, the bed comforatable - woke up the next morning to an impressive view of the vineyard from our room, breakfast was delicious and the tour of the property and the winery was interesting, enjoyed feeding the animals in the paddock, especially the lama and miniature horse - spent most of the day hiking near to the Delaware Water Gap, had diner in Mt. Bethal and left early Sunday Morning for some more hiking in the area.
Found management friendly and helpful, will recommend the Chelsea Sun to friends.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank johnnyvinnie
Scranton, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2010

I am usually not one to stay at b&b but the beautiful website advertising the spa & vineyard looked beautiful and elegant. Since I did not know anyone personally that stayed at this inn, I decided to go by the couple reviews I found which were all positive.

I booked a two night, mid-week stay in the Vintner Suite, along with a couples massage and the wine making tour/class for my boyfriends birthday. I was so excited to surprise him with this beautiful stay and couples romantic , relaxing weekend. The total was near the 900-1000 dollars. The costly price alone was enough to convince me that this place must be worth it.

As we got off the exit, the Inn was a little hard to find, as it is on Stone Church Road, not "Drive", or so said our GPS and the street sign. Regarless, as we made our way through the town, it was not the best neighborhood. There were a string of mobile homes and so I thought the location of the Inn must not be close to this area. (it was).

As we were approaching the Inn, the barn across the street that looked beautiful in the pictures on the website, was actually very run-down, rusted, and shabby looking, as was the winery side of the Inn itself. The only way I recognized the Inn was due to a paper/cardboard sign that read "Chelsea Sun Inn" in black magic marker with an arrow pointing to the dirt driveway. My heart sank into my stomach and immediately tears welled up in my eyes. As we parked our car in the dirt driveway, the lawn and green pastures I saw on the website were patchy and hardly the beautiful vineyard I pictured. There was no landscape, no green grass. No rolling green hills as I saw in the pictures from the website. The side of the house had odds an ends leaning against it, such as a broken basketball hoop. I do not know why these things were in plain sight and not a shed or disposed of. I had explained all this to my boyfriend in tears, that the place did not look like this on the website. He had told me to give the interior of the Inn a chance.

Since it was his birthday, I decided to give it a chance. When we walked in, it did look similar to the pictures on the website, however, on closer glance, the furniture in the main seating area was very shabby as the woodwork on the couch was scuffed, strings were hanging off. For the Inn opening in January, the furniture did not look new at all. It looked more like furniture they purchased from old antique shops. The staff member who greeted us was very friendly and showed us around the inn. She was understanding when I had a problem charging the total to my visa/debit because unknowingly I had a limit and she easily accepted another payment on a different card. She showed us to the Vintner Suite and told us to call if we needed anything because staff does not stay on premises for the most part. This is when the nightmare began.

Immediately upon entering the room, I noticed the shabby armoire that did not match the room or furniture. I then noticed what I thought had been a knot in the wood flooring. It was in fact, not a knot, but a very large horse fly, belly up and almost dead. That was my first concern. Second, when I used the bathroom, there was blue painters tape still on the ceiling. I am not sure why they wouldn't remove that before our arrival. I then went to the far right window and noticed it was taped with black electrical tape, I'm assuming it was broken. The window sill itself was beyond filthy with dust and dead bugs that I assume crawled in through the window (I guess that's why the black electrical tape was there). The other window, was actually cracked the whole way around the glass and was poorly replaced being as I could obviously see it was broken. The couch in front of the bed had visible crumbs on it, as if it were not cleaned since the last guest. It was then I noticed not one, but two giant black spiders crawling on the high ceiling. I then went over to the bed. The pillow case was wet, but at this point, I was happy to assume this means they washed the sheets. For the Inn being new, the comforter of the bed seemed old and used frequently. When my boyfriend and I pulled back the top comforter, there was a large stink bug attached to my side of the bed. (Please look up "stink bug" if you have never heard of/seen one). I was horrified, burst into tears and immediately grabbed our belongings and went downstairs to the staff girl. On my way out, I noticed they had the nerve to leave an envelope for a tip for the maid service on the table, which also had crumbs on it (the table, that is).

She called the manager from her cell phone and the manager told her to take a look around the room with us to make note of our complaints. She did so, and apologized. She called the manager back and the manager asked if we would like to stay at a discount or get a refund. We took the the refund. She asked if we would like her help in finding a new place to stay as it was already 6pm on a Sunday. We declined, mistrusting of the Inn's opinion of what is clean.

I would not recommend this Inn to anyone. It is the least romantic place I can think of. It was not the fairytale weekend I was expecting, but more of a nightmare. I was so disappointed and I can honestly say it ruined my boyfriend's birthday weekend. We are not a hard couple to please, just expected cleanliness. I would not have been so bothered by the Inn's outward appearance if at least the room had been clean. I did not have to white glove test the room to see any of this. It is really not the beautiful vineyard or spa I saw on their website, and the opposite from rave reviews I read.

It is not that this place isn'd for someone of high standards, I would say this Inn is not for someone of reasonable expectations. All the friendliness of the staff could not excuse my horrible experience. The pictures I saw on the website and the reviews I read just do not match with what I saw.

Lincoln Park, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2010

The Chelsea Sun Inn is not a destination B&B. The Inn IS the destination! When we stayed the grounds were still a work in progress to some extent but that hardly mattered. Once in the front door the Chelsea Sun Inn exudes class and luxury.

The rooms are incredibly spacious, all have fireplaces, and all have breathtaking views of the Vineyards and/or Pennsylvania countryside.

The staff was helpful but unintrusive. Breakfast selections were delicious. Breakfast is done buffet style but there were a wide variety of items to chose from.

We took the winemaking class one morning. The class was private and the Vintner was informative and personable. Our wine wont be ready for a while so I suppose the jury is still out but we enjoyed the process. Price tag was a little steep but you get a case of wine with custom lables.

Ate dinner in Deleware Water Gap one evening and East Stroudsburg another. Went horseback riding at Pocono Manor Stables and shopped the outlets at The Crossings.

We will most certainly be back and highly reccomend Chelsea Sun Inn.

1 Thank AJNJ44
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2010

My girlfriend and I took a trip to the Delaware Water Gap this past August. We are from Brooklyn and were looking to spend a nice, and quiet weekend together. The Chelsea Sun Inn was just a short trip from where we went canoeing. Although it was a little difficult to find, the location was quiet and the night sky was gleaming with stars, and we were very lucky to catch the beginning of a meteor shower.

The Inn itself was very spacious. There was a beautiful dining area with all the amenities for the guests, which gave it a homey atmosphere. At night the pool was well lit, and very tempting but we did not go in. We stayed in the Estate room, it is a nicely sized room with a large bed, an elegant bathroom, and a fireplace.

We met the owner, who was a really nice and down-to-Earth guy, who gave us a tour of the farm, the vineyard, and the winery. I am not a wine person but I really enjoyed the cranberry wine. He also told us of the wine making classes that they offer.

All in all, We really had a great time. It was truly the perfect getaway.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mephanie
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

My husband and I just came back from our trip to the Delaware Water Gap and we decided to stay at the Chelsea Sun Inn since we read such positive reviews on this website. Anyway, while we did think that the place was lovely, strictly speaking, I would consider it more a hotel than a cozy bed and breakfast.

Breakfast essentially consisted of catered food that was rather tasteless in my opinion (basically powdered eggs mixed with either veggies or bacon) and they had a few bagels out the first day; they also did not have any juice as an alternative to coffee. I expected much more than that; it would have been nice to be offered a selection of pastries or even cereal at the very least. The kitchen was poorly stocked as well; they didn't have ice in the ice maker or water in the water dispenser. My husband and I actually had to east elsewhere both mornings because the food left much to be desired.

As for the rooms, we stayed in the Vintner suite and while it was spacious, I felt that there were some setbacks in the design. First of all, the fireplace is not a wood burning one; when we tried to light the gas fireplace only a few vents lit up so we had to shut it off. It was rather disappointing since we were looking forward to a more romantic ambiance in the room.

The housekeeping is also rather lacking. When we used the shower the first day we found a tuft of someone's hair clinging to the shower curtain. The bathroom, itself, could use a few more toiletries; I've never been to a hotel where they don't provide a full sized body bar for the shower. We had two facial soaps and only one bottle of shampoo and conditioner to last us the whole weekend.

What I found most misleading was the fact that while there is a winery on the premises, we could not purchase any wine at the inn. That is very poor planning on their part because part of the appeal of that so called B & B is the novelty of sampling wine on their grounds and bringing a few favorite bottles back in to your room. I thought that the owners really should not have advertised that on their website as a feature of their establishment if they can't yet offer it to the public.

With respect to location, you are going to be a good distance from most of the attractions; the area around the Chelsea Sun Inn really lacks in good restaurants. That being said, I think it's all the more reason for the inn to seriously consider revamping their design and build a quality restaurant on their grounds. I really do feel that this hotel has the potential to be something remarkable but they have to work on fixing their flaws first.

At this point, I honestly can't recommend the Chelsea Sun Inn to anyone with high standards. The only thing it has going for it now is the friendly and charming staff. I think it would be best to either close the place down so that they can sort out all the problems or they should offer the rooms at a discounted value because currently you're not getting what you pay for.

5 Thank serenecobra
#5 of 8 in Stroudsburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Bartonsville
Baymont Inn & Suites Bartonsville Poconos
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap
Pocono Palace Resort
Pocono Palace Resort
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,974 reviews

Been to Chelsea Sun Inn? Share your experiences!